All-Inclusive NYC/Brooklyn A10 Tournament Ask Sometimes Anything Thread

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by Sometimes, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Sometimes

Sometimes Hall of Famer

With the tournament coming up figured we might as well have a consolidated place for this.

Feel free to ask me anything: what neighborhoods are where, what different neighborhoods are like, how to get around, things to do around town, where to go for food/drinks, etc.

By the end of this weekend I'll have a guide written up for everyone (some of you old-timers may remember how I used to do this for Richmond and the CAA tournament) tackling such issues as: great places for food all over town, great neighborhoods to visit, how to tip in NYC, how to find your way around on the subway, the difference between a cab and a car service (and why this is important), and more!
    Mike in KY, !3umbles, Beirne and 2 others like this.
  2. Sometimes

Sometimes Hall of Famer

I mean, this is the primary reason I came out of posting-retirement, after all.
    thegalen and Pavarotti like this.
  3. thegalen

thegalen Hall of Famer

Any bespoke cocktail/speakeasy type places on BK's side of the city? Like Milk and Honey/Little Branch type places?

I like Uncle Billy's a lot, but I want to get my hands on many tasty craft beers as possible. Last time I was there the staff recommended Pacific Standard which was awesome and had a ton of my favorite West Coast beers on tap (will be visiting again). Where else should I be sure to check out?

One of my favorite, favorite NYC spots was Harlem's Lenox Lounge. Amazing neighborhood joint that had local/amateur night along with all kinds of legit jazz cats passing through it. Sadly, it closed this past December. Are there any really amazing must-see music venues that you'd recommend? Can be any genre.

While at Guys American Kitchen and Bar, would you recommend smearing, slathering or plastering dishes with Donkey Sauce.
    umwram likes this.
  4. Sometimes

Sometimes Hall of Famer

Yes, yes and yes! Let me address all of those (cocktails/speakeasies, craft beers, music venues) in the guide I hope to have finished by Sunday. Would rather do them justice with enough information, but I'll be sure to include all of that.

As for Guy's American Kitchen and Bar... I see what you did there...
  5. Sometimes

Sometimes Hall of Famer

Also, as a general poll: How far are people willing to travel? Generally speaking does everyone just want stuff within walking distance of Barclay's (note: New Yorkers have a whole different definition of walking distance) or are people going to be willing to travel 10, 20, 30, 40 minutes by subway or car service to check out particularly cool stuff?
    thegalen and vcurams05 like this.
  6. VCUbusinessgrad

VCUbusinessgrad All-Star

Please talk at length about the strip club scene in your upcoming guide. Am willing to travel for raw stuff. /s
    greg3434, RamStrut, cvanvol and 2 others like this.
  7. cvanvol

cvanvol Hall of Famer

Are there any places up there that arent racist, and where they dont degrade women?
  8. ramtastic83

ramtastic83 Hall of Famer

9. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend

This is the truth! It's hard in Richmond to get someone to walk like 6 or 8 blocks to the bar. I used to routinely walk from Chelsea on 25th between 9th and 10th to 12th and between Avenue A & B which is a little over 2 miles.
  10. xjohnx

xjohnx Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    thegalen likes this.
  11. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend

I would recommend 7A Cafe at 109 Avenue A in the East Village/Alphabet City neighborhood in Manhattan.
  12. ramtastic83

ramtastic83 Hall of Famer

[​IMG]
  13. TexasRAM

TexasRAM All-Star

We don't want those. The degrading women part.
    thegalen likes this.
  14. thegalen

thegalen Hall of Famer

Oof. The day we announce a $4 million from one of Richmond's most dynamic female business leaders.

:?
    Pavarotti and cvanvol like this.
  15. Sometimes

Sometimes Hall of Famer

Sweet. This version of board has super-easy ignore functionality! Major improvement, VRN team!

7A Cafe has really good brunch, but have never been there for any other reason. Fun part of town to walk around, too.

I personally don't know the area North of Barclays very well, but I'm going to be filling in the gaps for neighborhoods I don't know well by getting info from friends that live there. I'll make sure to get some Fort Greene/Clinton Hill recommendations for ya!
    Mike in KY and thegalen like this.