Players Juvonte Reddic: #39 (DraftExpress) and #45 (NBADraft.net) in mock 2014 drafts

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by districtballer, May 21, 2013.

1. mrA10

mrA10 Hall of Famer

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean he would be fouling out on purpose. I think the point was to be super aggressive.
  2. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

Damn right he should! I thought Jamie Skeen & Brad Burgess could've and should've gotten drafted... Those 2 were vital in VCU making the Final 4.... Both were really really really good players in college and I couldve easily seen one or both of them in the NBA.... hell Kent Bazemore got there.

Shaka should look for some material to get Juvonte's head back in the game.... look for some stuff regarding his draft stock... saying it's declining, or saying teams would pass on Ju or something. It worked during the Final 4 run.... why can't it work now to get Juvonte... or for that matter the whole team playing up to their potential
    mrA10 and 12UConnBasketball like this.
  3. rammad90

rammad90 Legend

He is playing good D. In this Defense, if he is any more aggressive he fouls out and hey reality check: We do not have a suitable replacement. Ju is it. He is our post offense and defense. Mo can help but he's 6'6 a good post player simply shoots over his head. In tandem with Ju, Mo is superior by himself he is alone and out on an island.

Ju is as defensively aggressive as we need, and as he's ever been. The kids not gonna change, what you get is what you gotten, and for my money its pretty darned good. Ju is fine, let's just figure out a way to get him the darn ball.

At the end, of the day everyone's issue really surround our offensive woe's that's it. Our defensive always give's up layups in if the press is beaten, our half court D could use some help as we dont have that Theus/Ed Nixon lock down guy hounding the best scorer on the perimeter. Rob needs to pick it up there maybe.

Ju isnt the problem, and even if he plays a bit better he wont solve all our issues. I'll take what he gives us any day. I dont know what people expected. He is playing like he always has up, and down dependent upon the game. He'll hit his stride about mid January as he always does.
  4. rammad90

rammad90 Legend

I dont see how Jamie, and Brad's situations are close to Ju's. Jamie's deal was as good a player as he was, he wasnt athletic enough and he didnt do that one thing that stood out. Also, Jamie's year the league knew they were going to have a lock out and simply mucked up the 2nd round that year. Quite a few good players didnt get drafted because of the lock out.

Brad's deal was different Brad isnt an energy guy. He is simply solid in every area but he isnt a starter, not really a lock down D and not super athletic. Could he be on an NBA team, sure. Might he get there sure. However, he isnt the type that gets drafted. For Brad yeah, not having a block buster senior year cost him as he was sort of an on the line type. His draft was deeper but he shoots the same fg (49 % vs. 37%) and 3 pt fg percentage (43% v 37%) , rebounds at the same level (6.3 v. 5.0) , and scores (he scored at a pedestrian rate of 13.4 v. 14.3 the year before) 2-3 points more (he should have been at about 17.0) again he might wearing an NBA jersey. His extra's couldnt overcome that performance.

Bazemore, is an athletic FREAK! A seven foot wing span on a 6'5 body, he can dribble, run like a deer, and jump like a kangaroo, and has a big solid NBA body. He is what the NBA likes to work with. I am not surprised nor is anyone else who follows NBA hoops.

Ju really shouldnt be worrying about the NBA. Yes, a good year at VCU improves his stock, but he should just go out and play as even a bad year wont really hurt his chances. He will still get team tryouts, he might still be invited to the combine, he will be invited to Portsmouth. If he does good in any of those forums the kid will get a solid look. The thing favoring Ju is his body he is a legit 6'9 in his shoes, and has a nearly 7 foot wing span. Plus he can run, and shoot. He'll get a shot regardless.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    TampaKAP and vcurams05 like this.
  5. PumaKid23

PumaKid23 Walk-On

It won't matter if you have a crappy season, look at the the numbers 46.7% at the strip, 3.1 personal fouls a game, and he hasn't had a really big game yet except against ODU. The only good thing about this your stock doesn't go up or down in my opinion until you get into Late Feb and March. He will be ok I still see him as a late 1 rounder or 2 rounder.
    TampaKAP likes this.
  6. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend

While I wish Ju was more assertive, I do wish some people would watch the games.....Northern Iowa became yet another of our opponents who decided they would not let Juvonte Reddic beat them. They played on the perimeter inside the 3 point line and doubled or even tripled when he got the ball in the post. the only easy opportunity he got was off of some insane ball rotation and a beautiful pass from JeQuan that led to a dunk. Otherwise they rendered him ineffective with excellent team defense and strategy.
    rammad90 likes this.
  7. 12UConnBasketball

12UConnBasketball Scholarship

I talked to some NBA guys at a UConn game recently and had the opportunity to mention Reddick to a couple of them.

I had the opportunity to talk with a few NBA guys at a UConn game recently and I brought up Reddick. Perry Jones watched his draft stock go down (lottery to late first round) for some of the same reasons Ju is now in undrafted territory. Jones even got to an E8 his Soph. year (Something that would help Reddick) but had the same body language and demeanor as JU. Reddick's inability to take a leadership role on a team desperate for that ingredient and/or simply produce in games on a consistent basis against better competition will leave him outside the discussion for a legit shot at the draft. Some of that has to fall on the coaching staff and the rest on JU. I don't think Shaka has coached this kid up over the last 7 months. Hopefully that won't be a trend at VCU.

Reddick has not shown much player development so far this season.
  8. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend

His name is Juvonte Reddic.

And for everybody else.....His name is Rob Brandenberg.
    RowdyPkunk likes this.
  9. rammad90

rammad90 Legend

I think you are wrong. Ju's game is better. He has shown he has a jump shot, he can score off the dribble, make acrobatic shots, and still score and rebound at about the same level effortlessly.

As to his leadership or lack there of, he was never a leader/rah rah type. That's not what the NBA wants from him. What they want is that body, athleticism, and character. The kids is truly 6'9 with nearly a 7 foot wing span, can shoot, rebound, and doesnt cause problems. I say to heck with your scout, Ju isnt Perry Jones.

Ju is who Ju is. This kids personality isnt going to change much and all the "coaching up in the world" is not going to change that.

Read my type "He will be drafted and He will make and NBA roster"
    Mistachill likes this.
  10. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend

F uconn!!!!!
  11. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend

Think about this....if Juvonte had a "high motor" or was a rah rah guy, or was the next shaq, we would've never seen him. Juvonte is at VCU for a reason, if he had all of these traits people wish he had, well he'd be at one of those schools everyone here loves to hate.
    umwram likes this.
  12. Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram Hall of Famer

What????????????????????????? Plenty of NBA players have come from mid-major schools. Nobody said he was the next Shaq. I could care less about the NBA. I am more concerned about Reddic showing up for VCU games, which is what he is getting a free education to do. ALL VCU players should be expected to show up for every game. This is D1 basketball, not the YMCA.
    RowdyPkunk and buckwheat like this.
  13. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend

Obviously tons of them do, I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying. If Juvonte Reddic had all of these things that everyone wants from him, he wouldn't be here. He is who he is. We need to do a better job of getting him the ball. Honestly that probably can't come from Briante because thats an obvious double team.
  14. Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram Hall of Famer

Reddic plays good defense when he wants to. The problem is when he doesn't want to. You can talk all day long about how the rest of the team isn't getting Reddic the ball, but it is a two way street. You can't stand around and not get position on your defender and expect to receive the pass. Also, you keep harping on offense. What about rebounding? Rebounding creates opportunities. When you have your 6'2" point guard getting more offensive rebounds in a game than your 6'9" big man and one less in total rebounds, there are some serious problem with your 6'9" big man.

One other note - Reddic does not like physical basketball. If the opposing team plays physical, he disappears. If Virginia Tech comes out and plays physical against VCU, it's going to be a long night in the Coliseum for Reddic.
    RowdyPkunk likes this.
  15. buckwheat

buckwheat Hall of Famer

I'm with ya. Why would anyone care about his nba stock at the moment? I'm more worried about his stock compared to other A-10 big men and other supposed all A-10 first teamers.