No online streaming for remaining ESPN/CBSSN games

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by connerrs, Jan 21, 2013.

1. connerrs

connerrs Starter

During the Duquesne game Robby Robinson stated that there won't be any online streaming available for the remaining home games that are shown on ESPN or CBSSN. It won't be a problem for the one ESPN game(Butler) because it will be available on WatchESPN.com but for the others it may be an issue for anyone who doesn't have the sports package. Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere and figured it was newsworthy for you out-of-towners.
  2. hyeahvcu

hyeahvcu All-Star

Sucks for even us in-towners that don't have CBSSN :(
  3. Pretzel

Pretzel All-Star

I heard him say that too. I actually brought this up at the beginning of the season because I thought they wouldn't be able to stream the games shown on the networks. Apparently they did it without permission and got the hand slap.
  4. plumstreet

plumstreet Walk-On

I have watched all games online @ first row sports. (http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/basketball.html). I do this for most sporting events because I root for Mid-Atlantic teams, yet live out of state.

Warning: I did get a virus while watching a redskin game on this site. Not a 'real deal computer killer', but one of those viruses that redirects your search engine to a bogus site every time you open your browser. To avoid having to sweep/fix your computer, don't sign in to your computer to watch the games. Use your computer's 'limited' account.*** Under the limited account, your computer cannot download programs from the internet. Thus, preventing your computer from picking up a virus. At least that is how I understand it, but I am not a computer expert. Hope this helps.

*** Limited Account: When you turn on your computer, you will be prompted to 'log' into your computer using a user name and password. Typically, there is a second account that does not require a user name and password. The account that does not require your user name and password is what I am calling the 'limited account' (limits ability to download).
  5. ShoeSh1ne

ShoeSh1ne Hall of Famer

Or you could just not download or click anything. Seriously, that's all.
  6. JuvonteFTW

JuvonteFTW Hall of Famer

I'm glad they decided to do this AFTER the St. Joe's game. I have all of the sports channels.. but my Directv went out at 8:58 (2 minutes before the game). I was so thankful to have access to the stream.. missing that game would have been a tragedy. It's sad that option is gone, but I understand it.
  7. RamLogic

RamLogic Walk-On

I need to get my dad to do that All the time.. He's a clicker and has so much junk on his computer it scares me. LOL
  8. BigTimeRamFan

BigTimeRamFan All-Star

One thing that VCU could/should do, would be to archive the game for viewing at a later time. Or, schedule a rebroadcast after the "live" event. That's legal.
    SwiftyClown, Pdalpsher and vcubob like this.
  9. artRAMinMN

artRAMinMN Legend

Umm... not exactly
  10. BradRamFan

BradRamFan Hall of Famer

Pisses me off since many of those games are regional broadcasts so those out of the region never, ever have access to it.

Plus, I don't have cable/Sat so that ticks me off even more.
    At least there is firstrow

I don't get it...put in on the internet for free and just include national commercials. It's not like it is that hard. It's very frustrating the way sports works for TV broadcasts.
    umwram likes this.
  11. Finance Ram 10

Finance Ram 10 Walk-On

I just say use a crappy PC you can hook up to an HDTV to watch games like this.
    plumstreet likes this.
  12. BigTimeRamFan

BigTimeRamFan All-Star

All games rights are the property of the host school. We were always able to show them in years past, the next day on WCVA on RAMREPLAY, no matter who showed them live the day before. The host network controls the "live" rights.
  13. xjohnx

xjohnx Moderator Staff Member

Unless we grant exclusive rights to a media outlet (ESPN, CBS Sports, NBC Sports.) in the TV contract.
  14. plumstreet

plumstreet Walk-On

^^^ I don't think this person is correct. I did not click on anything. I was studying with the game on in the background when the computer picked up the virus. When I looked up to the computer screen, my virus scanner indicated that I had the virus.

Do what you want, but I stand by my advice to use caution on that site and others like it.
  15. BigTimeRamFan

BigTimeRamFan All-Star

I've used the FirstRowSports and ATDHE.SO/ sites over the years(when I'm desparate) and it always sends my Kaspersky Antivirus into a fit. I suggest before you use these sites that you go to Internet Options on your computer and lock up/turn on high every function you can, to protect your computer. Block cookies, turn on Pop Up Blocker, Privacy to high, Security to high. Then after you are finished viewing the event, run a virus check.
    Both of these sites have European origins. They are free for a reason!