Players the Best Pro Basketball Player of All Time

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by umwram, Jul 9, 2013.

1. umwram

umwram Legend

Now c'mon, Kobe has been good and good for the Lakers but you really think he enters into a conversation about Lebron and MJ? He doesn't.

@all you idiots trying to talk about this in the VCU Basketball forum
  2. Mercury

Mercury Legend

Not sure what started this but

MJ>Kobe>Lebron
    Half-baked Mcbride and JonBoy like this.
  3. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend

Magic
    He played guard and when Kareem went down in the finals he filled in under the basket. Probably the best finals performance ever. Jordan could not win a title until Magic retired. I hate the Lakers but I say Magic Johnson is the GOAT.
  4. vcurams05

vcurams05 Legend

The one thing that will always hold this discussion up is the era a player plays in. The NBA is clearly an offensive oriented game. When Jordan was coming up it was a brutal defensive game. Their would be pros and cons to both sides if Jordan and/or Lebron played during each others era. I know one thing, Lebron wouldn't be barreling down the lane uncontested in 1992.
    SportsPenguin likes this.
  5. SportsPenguin

SportsPenguin All-Star

THIS! So much THIS!
  6. huberdg

huberdg Walk-On

1)Jordan
    2)Magic
    3)Kareem
    4)Could make a case for Bird, Hakeem, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Russell, LeBron, Robertson, etc.

LeBron could climb into the top 3 if he keeps going the way he is, but at this point I don't think he's with those guys. Magic, even though considered one of the best, is still so under appreciated. Kareem is the man. He dominated in the 70s, one of the the weaker decades of basketball, but would've put up similar numbers in any era.
  7. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

Who the hell cares who is the supposed best now or ever!!!! Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Kareem etc.

You could make legitimate cases on just about any of them as the best in the world all time. But every player played differently and played in different eras. Lebron is not the same player as MJ, Lebron plays the 3 mostly, Jordan played the 2. Each play a different game, some of the players mentioned can beat you off the dribble on the low post, others could cross you up and do a step back and drain a shot in your face, others just use their size n get to the rim and take the rim down with him....

Trying to argue who the greatest of all time is stupid. Everyone says it's not Lebron because he had to join 2 other all stars in Wade & Bosh to get a ring....well last I checked MJ had Pippen and Rodman on some of his champ. teams...no ones knocking MJ for that.

I mean he had Pippen on all 6 champ. teams, Horace Grant & John Paxson on 3 of them, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Rodman all on the 96-98 champ. teams. So there was no shortage of all starts on his teams, yet all because Lebron Joined Wade, Bosh, and pretty much an all star caliber bench all 3 years he's been in Miami...people wanna give him crap for it...saying he couldn't win it by himself. Well guess what MJ didn't either, and last time I checked Basketball is a TEAM sport....notice there's no I or U in the word TEAM.

Magic had Kareem, Eddie Jordan, Bob McAdoo, Kurt Rambis (ESPN Analyst), Jamaal Wilkes, and Byron Scott on his champ. teams.

Larry Bird had, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Danny Ainge, Gerald Henderson (Outta VCU), Rick Carlisle and others on his champ. teams over the years.

Duncan has had all sorts of stars on his team...Parker, Ginobli, Avery Johnson, David Robinson, Steve Kerr, Bruce Bowen, Stephen Jackson, Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Matt Bonner among others.

Unless Magic, Kareem, Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, MJ, Bird and all them all played each other 1 on 1 while in their prime at the same time...we will never know who the best ever is....

My opinion is the best ever is James Naismith...the guy who invented the game of basketball
  8. huberdg

huberdg Walk-On

It's just fun to talk about. If you don't care about it's cool. But, just saying, Matt Bonner is not exactly a star.
  9. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

It'd be a lot better if people would stop basing who the "best of all time is" on rings or who had to play with who in order to win a ring, and they based it purely on skill set and athleticism. The problem with it tho is trying to compare positions to others. Trying to compare PG's to SF's to C's. Also trying to compare players during different eras.

One era might be more defensive and low scoring games in the 70's & 80's. Other eras might be more offensive and have games in the 110's, 120's, 130's or higher.

Also like someone said.... if Lebron was playing back in Jordan's days he wouldn't be going in the lane getting all these uncontested layups, dunks or wide open shots.

So it's hard to compare people at different postions in different eras as the "best of all time".
  10. Half-baked Mcbride

Half-baked Mcbride Hall of Famer

Don't sleep on Wilt???

or was it "with"??
    huberdg likes this.
  11. huberdg

huberdg Walk-On

12. huberdg

huberdg Walk-On

I really don't know what I did right there ^. My bad.
  13. Mistachill

Mistachill Legend

Didn't Jordan win his first ring against Magic?

Also, I would put Walt Frazier's 36 pt, 19 assists, 7 reb performance ahead of Magic's game. Why? People forget, Magic's performance was game 6. Lose and they still had a game 7 (with the series going back to L.A. and Kareem probably returning). Also, Magic jumped center but he didn't really replace Kareem. He put in minutes at all five positions but he didn't really take Kareem's place.

Besides, he wasn't exactly going up against Moses Malone or Shaq in that game. Philly's centers were Darryl Dawkins and 215 lb. Caldwell Jones, two centers with a grand total of zero NBA all-star games on their resume.

The Frazier game was the 7th game with the championship on the line. Willis Reed gets all the pub for that game (and only scored 4 pts) but Frazier was the guy who delivered the ring that night.
  14. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend

OK...I have been caught again. Magic is still the greatest.
  15. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

lol its all good