Players Tobi Lawal transferring to Virginia Tech

This latest "surprise" substantiates exactly why coaches must literally never stop recruiting. I believe this caught the staff by surprise. In the current free agent/wild west environment coaches have no idea who will be on the team on a day to day basis. This nonsense about how to distribute all the minutes is old school. You must use all available scholarships so you don't get caught with your pants down. VCU is now down to one front court player and some on this board were worried about the distribution of minutes. It's all about business now. Use all available scholarships and at the end of each year evaluate who to keep, who needs to move on, and stock-up again. That's unfortunately what it has come down to courtesy of the spineless and misguided NCAA.

This latest "surprise" substantiates exactly why coaches must literally never stop recruiting. I believe this caught the staff by surprise. In the current free agent/wild west environment coaches have no idea who will be on the team on a day to day basis. This nonsense about how to distribute all the minutes is old school. You must use all available scholarships so you don't get caught with your pants down. VCU is now down to one front court player and some on this board were worried about the distribution of minutes. It's all about business now. Use all available scholarships and at the end of each year evaluate who to keep, who needs to move on, and stock-up again. That's unfortunately what it has come down to courtesy of the spineless and misguided NCAA.
I mean if some school called Lawal today and was like here’s 700,000 How’s a staff suppose to anticipate that?

Very sad but not surprised. But let's keep this in perspective. Tobi was a great role player who had the potential to be more if he worked on a lot of aspects of his game, i.e. shooting, ball handling, moves in the paint. He was great at what he did and he was HUGE for us in playing out of position filling our big man void. I also loved the fact that he played hard every game.

He brought an element that will be impossible to replace but we can't react as if Kobe just left the building. Wish him well and keep it moving. There's more to basketball than an insane vertical. There are a ton of others players who don't jump as high but are more skilled.

But I'm not gonna lie, I thought he had the potential to be really, really good at some point. Like I said previously, I started worrying about him after the Memphis game.

Very sad but not surprised. But let's keep this in perspective. Tobi was a great role player who had the potential to be more if he worked on a lot of aspects of his game, i.e. shooting, ball handling, moves in the paint. He was great at what he did and he was HUGE for us in playing out of position filling our big man void. I also loved the fact that he played hard every game.

He brought an element that will be impossible to replace but we can't react as if Kobe just left the building. Wish him well and keep it moving. There's more to basketball than an insane vertical. There are a ton of others players who don't jump as high but are more skilled.

But I'm not gonna lie, I thought he had the potential to be really, really good at some point.
Agreed 100%. I hope he makes a lot of money if that’s what he’s looking for. I also hope he’s not surprised if he goes to a p6 and gets buried on the bench.

Agreed 100%. I hope he makes a lot of money if that’s what he’s looking for. I also hope he’s not surprised if he goes to a p6 and gets buried on the bench.
If he does then I'd welcome him back on the rebound if there's a spot and a role.

Devils advocate on the scholarship piece : why not pocket one or two a year to have more NIL to spend on each used slot? I get all the on court benefits of using them all, but if you tighten the belt on the roster and up the pay or each player it might work out in your benefit. Just spit ballin here 🤷‍♂️

Surprised it took this long, and was starting to get my hopes up with it not happening yet. I've heard rumblings since the Memphis game if you catch my drift 🤬
I heard the same but since he had made a move, I thought well, maybe he stays. I think he is less developed than Ward was but he does have potential.

Hopefully, he move up in weight class but not so high that he gets off of the bench and continues to develop.

Back