Last season’s highly anticipated matchup with the Butler Bulldogs had students lined up in tents for prime seats and it appears as if Shakaville is about to reopen for Saturday’s rematchup against No.10 Saint Louis.
The VCU student group, Rowdy Rams, have recently posted rules for this year’s Shakaville (below) and expect a large turnout for a game that could have major postseason implications for this year’s VCU squad.
The black and gold lost their previous game at SLU, 64-62, but Ram fans are no doubt excited to do their part in helping VCU revenge that loss in what should be the most electric atmosphere at the Siegel Center since last season’s game against the Bulldogs.
Shakaville should no doubt start generating some electricity for the 6PM ESPN2 tip this Saturday night, as fans are expected out as early as Thursday evening following the VCU game at Fordham.
Last season saw Shakaville namesake, VCU head coach Shaka Smart, pay a visit that included a pizza delivery from the head coach himself to a number of students who had tents lines up down the block in anticipation for what eventually resulted in a VCU blowout of the Butler squad they had last faced in the 2011 NCAA Final 4.
It’s the return of #Shakaville!!! We will be camping out for the best seats for the HUGE and VERY IMPORTANT match up vs #10 Saint Louis on March 1st, 2014 that will be televised live on ESPN2! The earliest we will be setting up is Thursday night after the Fordham game.
1) NO ALCOHOL (sorry!). It’s not considered your own home even though it is in a tent, you can be charged with the open bottle laws.
2) Your group must have submitted registration to email@example.com with the following:
-Group name (if none created, will use Tent Leader’s name)
-Tent Leader’s name (and email if submitted by someone other than the Team Leader)
-Number of people that will be in group’s tent (Maximum of 5)
-What time you plan on setting up (can be as early as Thursday night after the Fordham game)
-If you are going to participate in the Campsite Decoration Contest (with prizes*!).
*Prizes available so far include VCU themed shirts from RVAtees.com, tickets to the Nationwide Race and Baja Bean Gift Cards. Hopefully more to come!
3) At least one person from your tent must be present at all times. Does not have to be the same person at all times, but it must be someone with your tent.
4) All members of your group MUST be present from 3am until 6am on GameDay! This ensures people are putting in the work and not just sleeping at home then jumping in someone’s tent. There WILL be mandatory checks during these times, and if you do not comply you will lose your spot in line. Clean up will be after the tent decoration contest, so around 2pm.
5) All members of each tent group will receive a sequentially numbered ticket. Your ticket will be where you line up in the main line, so DO NOT LOSE IT. Tickets will be given out to each TENT LEADER for the number of people they registered for their tent. It will be the duty of the TENT LEADERS to make sure each member of the tent gets a ticket, and keeps up with their ticket until game time. If a ticket is lost, that person will have to go to the rear of the line. TICKETS WILL STOP BEING GIVEN OUT AT 11:59PM FRIDAY! NO EXCEPTIONS!
6) A second ticket will be given to each tent leader with the group name on it. Whomever is watching the tent MUST have this ticket with them. If you swap whomever is watching the tent, please transfer this ticket to another person. This is so that during the random tent checks, you will be able to keep your place in line. We will not know who is assigned to which tent, this will allow us to verify each tent has someone keeping an eye on it (all in the name of safety!).
7) No open flames, no gas grills. Plan to camp as if there will be no electricity. Bring battery powered devices. Friday night you might be allowed to enter the building to use restrooms, warm up, and charge a phone. Pretty sure this is happening but not set in stone yet.
8) Don’t do anything illegal.
9) We’re all here for the same reasons, in the name of school spirit. Make an effort to get along with EVERYONE and make new friends!!!
-IT IS GOING TO BE VERY COLD. Temps will range from 50s down to the mid 20s. Dress and plan appropriately. Don’t want anyone getting sick. Pack on the layers!!!
-Plan to not have electricity in your tent. Bring lots of battery powered devices.
Tent Decorating Contest:
Will be held at 1PM Saturday. Tent Leader must be available at this time. Any tent leader not present will have their tent disqualified from the Decoration Contest.