Notes from Chris Kowalczyk with VCU Athletics in Spain:
Score: VCU 84, Casvi 68
Location: Madrid, Spain
Record: VCU 1-0
The short story: Redshirt freshman Samir Doughty scored a team-high 17 points and senior Ahmed Hamdy registered a double-double to push VCU past Euro Colegio Casvi 84-68 Sunday in the first game of the Rams’ 11-day Spanish tour.
· Doughty, who sat out last season, knocked down 8-of-13 attempts from the field and grabbed four steals. Doughty scored 13 of his points in the first half alone as the Rams built a 40-30 lead.
· Hamdy provided muscle inside, hauling in 11 rebounds. He added 12 points.
· In all, four Rams scored in double figures, including freshman De’Riante Jenkins (14 points) and junior Jonathan Williams (12 points). Jenkins and Williams also combined for 11 steals.
· Casvi has proven a formidable opponent to American college teams. It defeated Arkansas 81-75 on Aug. 9 and held a 12-point second half on Purdue on Aug. 10 before falling 80-71.
· This was the first of four games the Rams will play on their tour of Spain, which will include stops in Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona. Earlier Sunday, VCU enjoyed a tour of scenic Toledo.