Players đź¦´ Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Dec 16, 2013
my 2 cents - Bones has every right to express his opinion in tweets or instagram posts - you and I have every right to support or not support or ignore his opinions - I for one like our younger generations (I am mid 60s) to speak up and take ownership of issues that confront society today - racism is one that has existed in one form or another since the dawn of creation (okay that is an embellishment).
All of us despite our color/ethnicity should be willing to work toward eliminating or reducing racism when it presents itself to us whether in speech or action (either overtly or systemic).

I am one that believes Police are to be respected and thanked for their efforts and sacrifice - do they all rise to the level of perfection in their work everyday - heck no! Are there some that should not have badges or service guns - Of course - are there Police that abuse their power - yes there are -
I am one that believes the overwhelming majority of police are good/honest/caring and hard working people - I am also one that believes that too many of these good/honest/caring and hard working police do not do a good enough job in making sure those that are problems in their profession are not culled out of the police force (but we can say that about a lot of professions like coaches not turning in coaches that they know cheat or most other professions where people seem to protect their own )

While I don't like to see our Ram family feuding, people within families often have different views (except we all know that ODU is the antichrist - haha)
and they should be allowed to express their views without fear of retaliation or shaming. What bothers me in all of this situation is when people express their opinions but then feel it necessary to say publicly things like I am not going to donate anymore because your opinion is different then theirs (they have every right to stop donating if they don't believe an institution shares the values/beliefs they value but the public announcing is nothing more than a form of bullying/shaming)
go rams and let's all Listen just a little more

Jan 15, 2020
Just stop! That's the same as poop up and dribble. He's a NBA prospect. His eyes are set on the prize. Social media is at a different level from when Shaka was at VCU. And it's used be every recruit in the nation. Things go sour with Bones and it can hurt VCU for a very long time. The concern should be with the racist fans tweeting him about pulling their donations. Black Lives Matter!

VCU survived before Bones and will be quite fine after Bones. Heck our best NBA players recently weren’t even predicted to be there. No player is bigger than the program. Also I saw the conversation as well. Bones stated how he felt about police (That he hated them. He even re stated it when a person asked if he meant bad police.). The donor then said she was disappointed by the comment and would be pulling her donation. Do I think she really needed to say it to him? No not at all. She could quietly have done it of course. However she’s not racist for taking action because of a opinion of someone affiliated with the university. Considering you yourself are basically calling him the face of the program and university his comments toward police absolutely will upset some VCU folks. Do you think VCU police would enjoy reading that from a VCU star? Doubt it. The fact is when you are a star of a program your comments are constantly under microscope. That’s just how it is.

Oh and yes social media has really been a distraction to our teams. Considering Rhoades tenure is in the air (If you think this year is just practice because COVID you are kidding yourself. Coaches will still be held accountable. If it is just a practice then there's no point of having a season because that’s risk the health of coaches, players, fans, etc.) I would expect our players to be dialed in. As far as the argument social media is different now that doesn’t excuse Rhoades for being accountable for the performances. The fact is his tenure has not been good. Everyone said this a make or break year. Even the biggest supporters of Rhoades (Myself included.). Now the argument is that there’s bigger things than sports. I absolutely agree with that however VCU basketball relies on success. Otherwise we’re essentially GMU or some other college that did great things years ago but talks about past successes. Final Four anyone? I can tell you right now if we struggle this year everyone here will ask if team’s heads were there. Same way everyone last year asked where our focus was because that cost us many games or put games out of reach so we couldn’t recover.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
For every action, there is any opposite and equal reaction. So rhetorically, why are we so quick to address the reaction and not the action?

Reactions: mrgeode
Jul 30, 2014
VCU survived before Bones and will be quite fine after Bones. Heck our best NBA players recently weren’t even predicted to be there. No player is bigger than the program. Also I saw the conversation as well. Bones stated how he felt about police (That he hated them. He even re stated it when a person asked if he meant bad police.). The donor then said she was disappointed by the comment and would be pulling her donation. Do I think she really needed to say it to him? No not at all. She could quietly have done it of course. However she’s not racist for taking action because of a opinion of someone affiliated with the university. Considering you yourself are basically calling him the face of the program and university his comments toward police absolutely will upset some VCU folks. Do you think VCU police would enjoy reading that from a VCU star? Doubt it. The fact is when you are a star of a program your comments are constantly under microscope. That’s just how it is.

Oh and yes social media has really been a distraction to our teams. Considering Rhoades tenure is in the air (If you think this year is just practice because COVID you are kidding yourself. Coaches will still be held accountable. If it is just a practice then there's no point of having a season because that’s risk the health of coaches, players, fans, etc.) I would expect our players to be dialed in. As far as the argument social media is different now that doesn’t excuse Rhoades for being accountable for the performances. The fact is his tenure has not been good. Everyone said this a make or break year. Even the biggest supporters of Rhoades (Myself included.). Now the argument is that there’s bigger things than sports. I absolutely agree with that however VCU basketball relies on success. Otherwise we’re essentially GMU or some other college that did great things years ago but talks about past successes. Final Four anyone? I can tell you right now if we struggle this year everyone here will ask if team’s heads were there. Same way everyone last year asked where our focus was because that cost us many games or put games out of reach so we couldn’t recover.

1. There may not even be a season this year.

2. He has a right to his opinion on police. Police are not being held accountable for the crimes they commit. People are tired of it. You don't know what experiences he has had in the past with police. I've had a number of experiences myself. There are more than just a few bad apples on police forces.

3. What if you can't even get the talent that came before the big recruits? Look at how the top recruits are talking to HBCUs now. No one is going to send their child to a place they feel is unsafe.

Bones has been nothing but great for VCU since coming to campus. Nothing he said was selfish. This IS bigger than basketball.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Rhoades putting his foot down and forcing our players off of social media because sometimes they say things that get donors riled up would be a monumentally tone deaf move in the current climate.

Many college basketball players are taking the NBA's lead to use their platform to become athlete-activists, as is their right. I would not at all be surprised this year to see kids kneeling during the anthem and/or games being boycotted. If that is something you won't support or stand for, that's fine - take your money and spend it elsewhere. That's your platform, and if you want to use it like that, do it. Just be civil.

Either way, it's not on a 19 year old black kid to be silent or his 50 year old white coach to silence him.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
You think atrocities are solely at the hands of white people?

Really? Look no further than current events and you will see how wrong you are ...here is just one example.

"In
But in recent years, the Chinese Communist Party has arbitrarily detained between 1 million and 3 million other Uighurs in so-called “reeducation centers” and forced them to undergo psychological indoctrination programs, such as studying communist propaganda and giving thanks to Chinese President Xi Jinping. Chinese officials have also reportedly used waterboarding and other forms of torture, including sexual abuse, as part of the indoctrination process.

It is the largest mass internment of an ethnic-religious minority group since World War II.

The concentration camps are the most extreme example of China’s inhumane policies against the Uighurs, but even those outside the camps are subject to repressive policies. China has used mass surveillance to turn Xinjiang into a high-tech police state.".

Atrocities have absolutely nothing to do with one's race.
nice try
but we already knew about concentration camps elsewhere
but we are concerned about the good ole USofA.

Reactions: rskills

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
This isn’t shut up and dribble. This is shut up and focus on the season. The guy puts out every darn thought he has on social media from politics to what I ate for breakfast. He isn’t the first player to be like that. heck our final four team was notorious for that and they only started playing well when Shaka stopped it. We’ve had more incidents of player, family, fan, etc under Rhoades than any other coach possibly. Why? Because he acts like one of their groupies or buds. He’s their coach. He doesn’t need to tell them their opinion doesn’t matter. He needs to tell them we have season to focus on. As far as those getting worried Bones will tell players to stay away oh well. The dude craves attention with song remixes to flavor of the month posts. It’s this stuff with players that makes you wonder why we don’t seem focused during the season. The fact Rhoades jumps in on the discussions tells he’s just letting the players run things which explains our lack of discipline on the court. He’ll be finding himself searching for a new job after this season if he does that. Also don’t tell me you can’t keep players off it. There’s numerous coaches that keep their players off social media especially in season. They sure as heck would have stepped in if a player started getting into it with fans. If we struggle this season I won’t be surprised in the slightest given it doesn’t seem like we’re prepared or focused at all.

There should be no “shut up” at all. People are capable of expressing feelings and thoughts and still focus and excel in their craft and talents.

Reactions: Sethjax

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
All of my responses in this thread have been about Bones. Matter of fact, I was the one who started this whole conversation by asking people to talk to our players with respect if at all.

I understand your first, immediate, and only instinct is to scream out "Right wing racism" whenever you are disagreed with though. Unfortunately you got the wrong guy.
No Ed is waiting on the poll results to see if he got the correct person.

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
You think atrocities are solely at the hands of white people?

Really? Look no further than current events and you will see how wrong you are ...here is just one example.

"In
But in recent years, the Chinese Communist Party has arbitrarily detained between 1 million and 3 million other Uighurs in so-called “reeducation centers” and forced them to undergo psychological indoctrination programs, such as studying communist propaganda and giving thanks to Chinese President Xi Jinping. Chinese officials have also reportedly used waterboarding and other forms of torture, including sexual abuse, as part of the indoctrination process.

It is the largest mass internment of an ethnic-religious minority group since World War II.

The concentration camps are the most extreme example of China’s inhumane policies against the Uighurs, but even those outside the camps are subject to repressive policies. China has used mass surveillance to turn Xinjiang into a high-tech police state.".

Atrocities have absolutely nothing to do with one's race.
you didn't have to go to China. Just look at soaring murder rates in major cities.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
you didn't have to go to China. Just look at soaring murder rates in major cities.
apples and oranges
you are equating criminal behavior by criminals to criminal behavior by government employees.

Reactions: N Mollen

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
apples and oranges
you are equating criminal behavior by criminals to criminal behavior by government employees.
I'm sure the parents of the kids killed in Chicago are glad it wasn't by the govt

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
apples and oranges
No not at all. Look back over what Duncan said. Both examples prove his point.