Players đź¦´ Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Feb 14, 2011
Rhoades putting his foot down and forcing our players off of social media because sometimes they say things that get donors riled up would be a monumentally tone deaf move in the current climate.

Many college basketball players are taking the NBA's lead to use their platform to become athlete-activists, as is their right. I would not at all be surprised this year to see kids kneeling during the anthem and/or games being boycotted. If that is something you won't support or stand for, that's fine - take your money and spend it elsewhere. That's your platform, and if you want to use it like that, do it. Just be civil.

Either way, it's not on a 19 year old black kid to be silent or his 50 year old white coach to silence him.

That will be me if they decide to use the game as a platform and has nothing do with what side I'm on. There is a time and place for everything, a great "life lesson" and a sporting event is neither.

I expect the program to be clean, top to bottom.
I expect the program to entertain me
I expect the kids, coaches, admin to be respectful and responsible citizens.
I expect student athletes to be successful in the classroom
I expect student athletes to be successful on the court/field.

A 19 year college athlete or an NBA player that's paid $450,000 per game has about the same credibility when it comes to normal life experiences. We all have the rights to voice our opinions but most of us understand that we don't get to do it at work, where your opinion could be detrimental to your employers business.

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
That will be me if they decide to use the game as a platform and has nothing do with what side I'm on. There is a time and place for everything, a great "life lesson" and a sporting event is neither.

A 19 year college athlete or an NBA player that's paid $450,000 per game has about the same credibility when it comes to normal life experiences. We all have the rights to voice our opinions but most of us understand that we don't get to do it at work, where your opinion could be detrimental to your employers business.

Let me know how much you spend so that I can pick it up if you decide to go elsewhere.

Dec 2, 2012

Bones is not an employee.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009

I am not here to be argumentative, only for civil dialogue. With that said, I do have a couple of questions about the list

I expect the program to be clean, top to bottom.Agreed
I expect the program to entertain me. Mostly agree, I also expect the program to be an ambassador for the school
Now the question part
I expect the kids, coaches, admin to be respectful and responsible citizens. Do you expect "citizens to be respectful in turn?
I expect student athletes to be successful in the classroom Agreed, but I also understand that some parts of the educational system are flawed not that is a reason for one not to be successful in the classroom.
I expect student athletes to be successful on the court/field. Do you expect "society" to treat the student athletes in a manner that provides them the opportunity to be successful?

Again, I'm only here for civil dialogue, not to argue or try to be right or wrong. I get the gist of your post and appreciate your perspective.

Reactions: artRAMinMN
Mar 1, 2015
No he is not. He is a student on a scholarship. Like many students on scholarships there are certain requirements they must fulfill to maintain their scholarship.
Lower courts have ruled in favor of the athletes in workers compensation cases, only to be overturned by the state. Is a state court going to rule against a state institution with such a lucrative enterprise at stake?? The concept and term “student athlete” was contrived as a defense against worker’s compensation claims.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Lower courts have ruled in favor of the athletes in workers compensation cases, only to be overturned by the state. Is a state court going to rule against a state institution with such a lucrative enterprise at stake?? The concept and term “student athlete” was contrived as a defense against worker’s compensation claims.
Haven't looked into this, but this theory doesn't seem right. First, if it's true, why not sue in Federal court? Second, how about students suing private institutions?

Mar 1, 2015
Haven't looked into this, but this theory doesn't seem right. First, if it's true, why not sue in Federal court? Second, how about students suing private institutions?
It’s more the system I’m getting at. If athletes are considered employees it opens up Pandora’s box of liabilities and costs. There is a major financial interest for keeping it the way it is. State Schools are powerful, expensive operations. Virginia state government leaned on UVA to get VT into the ACC. Why would the state care what athletes conference they are in? Big money, the state has a major interest there.

Ken Waldrep from TCU is probably the most famous example of a case. Pretty interesting.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I am not here to be argumentative, only for civil dialogue. With that said, I do have a couple of questions about the list

I expect the program to be clean, top to bottom.Agreed
I expect the program to entertain me. Mostly agree, I also expect the program to be an ambassador for the school
Now the question part
I expect the kids, coaches, admin to be respectful and responsible citizens. Do you expect "citizens to be respectful in turn?
I expect student athletes to be successful in the classroom Agreed, but I also understand that some parts of the educational system are flawed not that is a reason for one not to be successful in the classroom.
I expect student athletes to be successful on the court/field. Do you expect "society" to treat the student athletes in a manner that provides them the opportunity to be successful?

Again, I'm only here for civil dialogue, not to argue or try to be right or wrong. I get the gist of your post and appreciate your perspective.
As to the expectations for society part of your comment. In my opinion, society is not fair. Idealistically, it would be optimal to live in a society with no racism. Realistically, I do not think that is possible.
This world is a brutal place. We don't pick our parents, our race, our genes. Some people are born rich, others poor. Some people are born black, others white. Some people are strikingly beautiful while others have handicaps or genetic disorders. We are thrown naked to this chaotic world where nearly everyone already in the world has their own self interest in mind. Should we strive for the ideal? Yes. But we should prepare for the harshness of reality. We need to do the best we can to succeed in spite of the obstacles society places in front of us. The snakes are going to get into the garden. Instead of trying rid the world of snakes, I think schools should give there graduates the proper tools needed to cut the snakes up and kill them.
So to answer the last question you posed "Do you expect "society" to treat the student athletes in a manner that provides them the opportunity to be successful?" Although I hope it changes, I suspect rich, white, genetically gifted kids who come from families with status will always have an upper hand and more opportunities to be successful. If you lack in those areas you will have to work extra hard to get what you want. But it can be done and has been done by numerous people regardless of there race, class or genetic gifts.
So strive for the ideal (no racism). But prepare yourself to succeed in spite of it. That is what I would tell a student-athlete today.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
As to the expectations for society part of your comment. In my opinion, society is not fair. Idealistically, it would be optimal to live in a society with no racism. Realistically, I do not think that is possible.
This world is a brutal place. We don't pick our parents, our race, our genes. Some people are born rich, others poor. Some people are born black, others white. Some people are strikingly beautiful while others have handicaps or genetic disorders. We are thrown naked to this chaotic world where nearly everyone already in the world has their own self interest in mind. Should we strive for the ideal? Yes. But we should prepare for the harshness of reality. We need to do the best we can to succeed in spite of the obstacles society places in front of us. The snakes are going to get into the garden. Instead of trying rid the world of snakes, I think schools should give there graduates the proper tools needed to cut the snakes up and kill them.
So to answer the last question you posed "Do you expect "society" to treat the student athletes in a manner that provides them the opportunity to be successful?" Although I hope it changes, I suspect rich, white, genetically gifted kids who come from families with status will always have an upper hand and more opportunities to be successful. If you lack in those areas you will have to work extra hard to get what you want. But it can be done and has been done by numerous people regardless of there race, class or genetic gifts.
So strive for the ideal (no racism). But prepare yourself to succeed in spite of it. That is what I would tell a student-athlete today.
Honest, yet thoughtful, respectful, and well articulated. Thanks