Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
my 2 cents - Bones has every right to express his opinion in tweets or instagram posts - you and I have every right to support or not support or ignore his opinions - I for one like our younger generations (I am mid 60s) to speak up and take ownership of issues that confront society today - racism is one that has existed in one form or another since the dawn of creation (okay that is an embellishment).
All of us despite our color/ethnicity should be willing to work toward eliminating or reducing racism when it presents itself to us whether in speech or action (either overtly or systemic).

I am one that believes Police are to be respected and thanked for their efforts and sacrifice - do they all rise to the level of perfection in their work everyday - heck no! Are there some that should not have badges or service guns - Of course - are there Police that abuse their power - yes there are -
I am one that believes the overwhelming majority of police are good/honest/caring and hard working people - I am also one that believes that too many of these good/honest/caring and hard working police do not do a good enough job in making sure those that are problems in their profession are not culled out of the police force (but we can say that about a lot of professions like coaches not turning in coaches that they know cheat or most other professions where people seem to protect their own )

While I don't like to see our Ram family feuding, people within families often have different views (except we all know that ODU is the antichrist - haha)
and they should be allowed to express their views without fear of retaliation or shaming. What bothers me in all of this situation is when people express their opinions but then feel it necessary to say publicly things like I am not going to donate anymore because your opinion is different then theirs (they have every right to stop donating if they don't believe an institution shares the values/beliefs they value but the public announcing is nothing more than a form of bullying/shaming)
go rams and let's all Listen just a little more
Fwiw, I agree that Police are to be respected and thanked. Just like our serviceman. These people put themselves in positions that most so called supports and patriots never would.

However, I do believe that when a police officer crosses the line, when a service person crosses the line and becomes a murderer they should be held accountable. Moreover, when it is clear that race is a factor in their atrocious indefensible behavior regarding the way suspects are treated, there should be at least a call for review, if not change by all.

When we have a system that is rife with racism, we all suffer. The status quo is loved by many because it serves them at the expense of others. I get it. I understand it. However, to discount someone who is suffering because of the system and sating to them, their voices dont matter, or they are wrong, is past ludicrous.

To get pissed at a young man because he stated his opinion and want to punish an entire organization/program to me is ridiculous. VCU still does business with Papa John's does that mean that all African American's who donate or decide to send their children here to compete as student athletes should just top supporting or coming here? Heck no.

There are many voices in an organization. People as long as its not sexist, racist, criminal, or in my opinion an outright lie are allowed to have their opinions. We as supporters cannot expect the University to silence words we dont like. Those who expect that, iMO are just trying get attention.

If you dont like what Bones stated, refute it with fact. Dont blame VCU, dont the to pressure the U into silencing the young man. Either step off or not that's your choice. But dont grandstand. In this case Bones is one person, the women who supposedly is pulling her support her husband was one officer. Bones didnt insult her husband or anyone else personally.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
There are many voices in an organization. People as long as its not sexist, racist, criminal, or in my opinion an outright lie are allowed to have their opinions. We as supporters cannot expect the University to silence words we dont like. Those who expect that, iMO are just trying get attention.
As a Christian who upholds a scriptural world view, I am not allowed to express my opinions on certain subject matters, even when my opinions are asked for, without fear of cancellation by our current culture. This cancellation extends beyond me, but could also negatively impact my employer. I would expect that to be much more the case on a, including VCU's, university campus. So words are indeed silenced.

vcumad

Top Member
Insider
Jan 19, 2010
As a Christian who upholds a scriptural world view, I am not allowed to express my opinions on certain subject matters, even when my opinions are asked for, without fear of cancellation by our current culture. This cancellation extends beyond me, but could also negatively impact my employer. I would expect that to be much more the case on a, including VCU's, university campus. So words are indeed silenced.
Without trying to be disrespectful, could you please explain your comment for me. I was raised in a Baptist church and consider myself a Christian, but don't clearly understand the point you are trying to make.

Reactions: rammad90 and rammed
Apr 20, 2009
Without trying to be disrespectful, could you please explain your comment for me. I was raised in a Baptist church and consider myself a Christian, but don't clearly understand the point you are trying to make.
I don't take your question as disrespectful at all. As you can see from the two comments following your question, people don't want this dialogue and want it shut down. There are numerous hot topic subjects on which the scriptures speak very plainly. Here is one that is not a hot topic, but people don't want to hear it - John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Christians are often criticized for being narrow-minded and bigoted for claiming that Jesus is the only way, because that would exclude billions of people. If Jesus was just one of many religious teachers his claim would be absurd. If however, Jesus is God himself, that puts his claim in an entirely different light. An infinite being has the ability to say with certainty whether there is one God or many, and whether there are multiple ways or only one way to know him. Jesus doesn't say he is speaking the truth, but he is the embodiment of truth. He doesn't say he can give life; he tells us he is the source of life itself. He doesn't say he is one pathway to God among many, but he asserts he is the only way. He is either Lord, a lunatic, or a liar.

This is the type of dialogue that is not welcome on this board, on VCU's campus, in the marketplace, on social media, etc. That is the point I'm trying to make when I said words are indeed silenced.

Out of respect to other users of this board, because I know people don't want to read this sort of material, I'll take this to private if you need further clarification.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
There is no one Christian World View. Different groups of folk read the scripture and have opposite views as to what it means.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I'm sure the parents of the kids killed in Chicago are glad it wasn't by the govt
here we go again - no matter what the police do the right seemingly is ready to dismiss all actions by sayin' but look at southside Chicago. Let's focus on that instead. When the truth is they don't give a crap about southside Chicago.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
That will be me if they decide to use the game as a platform and has nothing do with what side I'm on. There is a time and place for everything, a great "life lesson" and a sporting event is neither.

I expect the program to be clean, top to bottom.
I expect the program to entertain me
I expect the kids, coaches, admin to be respectful and responsible citizens.
I expect student athletes to be successful in the classroom
I expect student athletes to be successful on the court/field.

A 19 year college athlete or an NBA player that's paid $450,000 per game has about the same credibility when it comes to normal life experiences. We all have the rights to voice our opinions but most of us understand that we don't get to do it at work, where your opinion could be detrimental to your employers business.
that goes both ways
high school coaches are under fire to send Black athletes to places where they are going to be safe and a place where they can thrive for four years.
They are looking closely at sending them to big schools in small all white college towns.
This is where VCU can flourish if it plays its cards right.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
that goes both ways
high school coaches are under fire to send Black athletes to places where they are going to be safe and a place where they can thrive for four years.
They are looking closely at sending them to big schools in small all white college towns.
This is where VCU can flourish if it plays its cards right.
“High school coaches are under fire to send Black athletes to places where they are going to be safe....”. How do you think a high school or AAU coach or parent would feel about sending their kids to a college in Richmond,VA if they read some of the recent articles in the RTD about looting, et al? I wonder. Not trying to point the finger at anyone, but is this an environment any of you would be comfortable having your kids live?