Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
here we go again - no matter what the police do the right seemingly is ready to dismiss all actions by sayin' but look at southside Chicago. Let's focus on that instead. When the truth is they don't give a crap about southside Chicago.
that is a pretty ignorant statement on many levels

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
As someone who recently got back into basketball card collecting I look forward to buying some Bones Hyland rookie cards.

*As this thread has brought out the worst in all of us I am using this as a lame attempt to get back on topic.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
As someone who recently got back into basketball card collecting I look forward to buying some Bones Hyland rookie cards.

*As this thread has brought out the worst in all of us I am using this as a lame attempt to get back on topic.
I recently saw a lot of cards on ebay that was all former VCU basketball and baseball players. Pretty cool seeing so many of our guys on trading cards.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
You are entitled to you opinion
but I know what I am talking about and am hardly ignorant
because my experience is diff from yours
One race doesn't have sole ownership of oppression. As someone growing up in Hopewell, I can tell you your experience very likely is different from mine in ways you can't/won't imagine. For years, I didn't have a bike as a kid because it kept getting stolen out of my front yard. I had clothes (especially a new winter coat) stolen from me while playing basketball at the community center during winter months. Life was not easy growing up in Hopewell. Today, it's even worse in Hopewell for ALL races. And it's not the fault of, or caused by, the police department.

My mom lived by herself in Hopewell, in a section of town that was not particularly safe, until the day she died. That was her home and she did not want to leave. Did I worry about her being in that neighborhood by herself, particularly at night? Absolutely. For those that think otherwise, perceived "White Privilege" is not automatic. There are ALL classes in ALL races.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
As a Christian who upholds a scriptural world view, I am not allowed to express my opinions on certain subject matters, even when my opinions are asked for, without fear of cancellation by our current culture. This cancellation extends beyond me, but could also negatively impact my employer. I would expect that to be much more the case on a, including VCU's, university campus. So words are indeed silenced.
Being a Christian is a your choice. However, the mere fact that one is a Christian typically isnt what is suppressed. Typically, it is when those Christian values and opinions abridge the rights of others in a negative way. I too was raised as a Christian and follow many oof the tenets of the religion. However, being a Christian doesn't give me the right to declare other religions inferior per se or invalid.,

I get your point on your employer but students athletes aren't employees at least not legally as of yet. Yes, some words unfortunately silenced but mostly because those are words of ignorance and hate. As such, it isnt silence so much as people just refuse to hear them.

Say what you want, and I support you. However, while the Constitution grants your freedom of speech, free of retaliation from government (in most cases) it didnt grant you freedom of consequence from the general public.

Finally, just because I have been discriminated, harmed, misjudged, or silenced. Doesn't make it right or appropriate for me to either do or advocate the same.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
One race doesn't have sole ownership of oppression. As someone growing up in Hopewell, I can tell you your experience very likely is different from mine in ways you can't/won't imagine. For years, I didn't have a bike as a kid because it kept getting stolen out of my front yard. I had clothes (especially a new winter coat) stolen from me while playing basketball at the community center during winter months. Life was not easy growing up in Hopewell. Today, it's even worse in Hopewell for ALL races. And it's not the fault of, or caused by, the police department.

My mom lived by herself in Hopewell, in a section of town that was not particularly safe, until the day she died. That was her home and she did not want to leave. Did I worry about her being in that neighborhood by herself, particularly at night? Absolutely. For those that think otherwise, perceived "White Privilege" is not automatic. There are ALL classes in ALL races.
You are so right. However, what you dont understand is all you needed to do was get educated, move, and improve your lot in order not to be in those circumstances. For people of color its not as automatic, we still look the way we look and as such are judged by those in power and privilege regardless of the improvements we have made.

As to you, unless you share your background in most cases no one would ever know or care about your humble beginnings. That my fellow Ram is "white privilege".

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
here we go again - no matter what the police do the right seemingly is ready to dismiss all actions by sayin' but look at southside Chicago. Let's focus on that instead. When the truth is they don't give a crap about southside Chicago.
BigE. Here in lies the problem. What is happening on the South Side of Chicago is tragic and needs to be addressed. However, if one is familiar with Chicago it is the West Side where the real issues lie. Many those who point to the South Side as you state dont give a darn about that area or any other for that matter. Most have never even stepped foot in either area..

However, you do make a good point. What misdeeds the Police in America commit has no nexus to what is happening negatively in any neighborhood in Chicago, NYC, DC, Richmond, or anywhere else for that matter. They are two different issues each requiring resolution. If one really gave a darn, they would condemn the misdeeds in both circumstances. Yet, some use one to condone the other.

Look I was in the military and yes I have seen soldiers on foreign soil go to far (not to the level of criminality thank goodness) but too far just the same when dealing with the locals. I have many good friends and a few family members that are or have been Police Officers (a couple in Chicago), and almost alll privately admit Police Officers sometimes good too far and then cover it up. Regardless, I still support both groups and thank them for their service. However, it doesn't mean I do not support change in policing and change in the behaviors and actions of some of our Service Men and Women.

I for the life of me cannot understand (support those who serve us & support change) why most folks see this as a binary issue. (It isnt).

Last edited:
May 5, 2009

Your youth parallels mine, except under a different setting. Being harassed and discriminated because of Italian ancestry did not give me any semblance of white privilege. Called greaseball, dago and wop.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
You are entitled to you opinion
but I know what I am talking about and am hardly ignorant
because my experience is diff from yours
Never suggested you were ignorant...but I stand by my belief that the post directed at me certainly was.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I’d rather hear he’s added 15-20 lbs😄
How dare you talk about Bones in the Bones Hyland thread. Take that basketball stuff OT. This thread is here for us to make the same political points over and over and over again, ad nauseam. I'm sure that in just a few thousand more posts, someone will change their mind.

Reactions: DNB