Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Feb 10, 2009
“High school coaches are under fire to send Black athletes to places where they are going to be safe....”. How do you think a high school or AAU coach or parent would feel about sending their kids to a college in Richmond,VA if they read some of the recent articles in the RTD about looting, et al? I wonder. Not trying to point the finger at anyone, but is this an environment any of you would be comfortable having your kids live?
more so in Richmond, Hampton or Norfolk than the police in Blacksburg or Radford or C'ville.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This is what saddens me with this board. @MattRock attempts to
moderate and get this thread back to the subject of Bones/basketball. His post is ignored and followed by more of the same. Leave it alone man. Moving on is not a thing here. People love to go back and forth with arguments. It is a tire fire. I always see where a person stands right off the bat but they seem to feel the need to keep hammering.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I'm seeing Bones popping up more and more on mock draft projections for 2021. It's fun entertaining the idea and envisioning what a sophomore season from him that puts him in the NBA would look like. I sure hope he gets the opportunity to showcase his skills at the highest level and as much as possible in this weird, uncertain upcoming season.

Dec 2, 2012
I'm seeing Bones popping up more and more on mock draft projections for 2021. It's fun entertaining the idea and envisioning what a sophomore season from him that puts him in the NBA would look like. I sure hope he gets the opportunity to showcase his skills at the highest level and as much as possible in this weird, uncertain upcoming season.
how much weight do you think he has put on in the off season?

Mar 1, 2015
It will be interesting to see. Skilled, great instincts. Athleticism by NBA standards? IDK. Jumper mechanics seem a little lower and slower than you typically see in the NBA for a guard.

Could just be me, but the NBA seems to be more friendly to “lower upside” guys lately. Not as much hesitation to use a late first or second on a guy who can just be a solid rotation player on an affordable contract. There is time, he is on their radar. But I think VCU has him at least another 2 years.

Ramball

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Saw him the other day at the Pro run and it wasn't close who the best player on the court was. Of all the guys I've seen play this summer and the list includes...Joe Bamisile, Henry Coleman, Matt Coleman, Armondo Bacot, Devin Robinson, Javonte Green, Reggie Williams, etc... he is right at the top with his offensive output. Tough, competes, and doesn't back down from anyone.

Aug 29, 2020
It will be interesting to see. Skilled, great instincts. Athleticism by NBA standards? IDK. Jumper mechanics seem a little lower and slower than you typically see in the NBA for a guard.

Could just be me, but the NBA seems to be more friendly to “lower upside” guys lately. Not as much hesitation to use a late first or second on a guy who can just be a solid rotation player on an affordable contract. There is time, he is on their radar. But I think VCU has him at least another 2 years.
4edwcy.jpg

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I hate the change the subject, but I love seeing all the shot-making videos from Bones this offseason. A number of people in the profession consistently tell me Bones has serious pro potential. I'd just love to see him continue to improve, because he can go down as a VCU legend if he does.

The Dream Comparison: Can Bones become a "Steph Curry"?

Freshmen college season comparison

3p%
Bones 43.4% (63 makes)
Steph 40.8% (122 makes)

true shooting %
Steph 61.7%
Bones 57.5%

Assist %
Bones 19.1%
Steph 18.8%

Turnover%
Bones 15.5%
Steph 17.3%

Offensive rating
Steph 116.9
Bones 109.6

Steals %
Steph 3.2%
Bones 2.4%

I think Davidson's system overall helps Steph's true shooting percentage (and in turn, his offensive rating) because baskets inside just come much easier for the entire team. Only four Rams shot over 50% inside the arc (three bigs + Jarren who plays like one) last season for VCU, Bones checking in at 43%, whereas that Steph freshman year Davidson team had six players above 50% (53.6% for Steph). heck, last season's Davidson team had three guards above 50%.

Anyway, I know that's never a fair comparison ("can Bones be like one of the greatest players of all-time?")...but the wish really is more that he can become one of those program-changing types like Steph or like Maynor.

Related note: Amazing what the '07 VCU team was able to accomplish with an undersized group and extremely limited front court depth.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I hate the change the subject, but I love seeing all the shot-making videos from Bones this offseason. A number of people in the profession consistently tell me Bones has serious pro potential. I'd just love to see him continue to improve, because he can go down as a VCU legend if he does.

The Dream Comparison: Can Bones become a "Steph Curry"?

Freshmen college season comparison

3p%
Bones 43.4% (63 makes)
Steph 40.8% (122 makes)

true shooting %
Steph 61.7%
Bones 57.5%

Assist %
Bones 19.1%
Steph 18.8%

Turnover%
Bones 15.5%
Steph 17.3%

Offensive rating
Steph 116.9
Bones 109.6

Steals %
Steph 3.2%
Bones 2.4%

I think Davidson's system overall helps Steph's true shooting percentage (and in turn, his offensive rating) because baskets inside just come much easier for the entire team. Only four Rams shot over 50% inside the arc (three bigs + Jarren who plays like one) last season for VCU, Bones checking in at 43%, whereas that Steph freshman year Davidson team had six players above 50% (53.6% for Steph). heck, last season's Davidson team had three guards above 50%.

Anyway, I know that's never a fair comparison ("can Bones be like one of the greatest players of all-time?")...but the wish really is more that he can become one of those program-changing types like Steph or like Maynor.

Related note: Amazing what the '07 VCU team was able to accomplish with an undersized group and extremely limited front court depth.
Well done!!!

Reactions: SpiderRAM

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
I hate the change the subject, but I love seeing all the shot-making videos from Bones this offseason. A number of people in the profession consistently tell me Bones has serious pro potential.

The 2007 team that beat Duke featured VCU’s finest perimeter group ever......Maynor, Walker, Shuler, Pellot-Rosa. All shot over 40% from 3 (except Maynor at 39%). The team shot 40+ % from 3. KP Offensive Efficiency rank was #18. You can thank Jeff Capel for recruiting those kids......all four-year guys. Those four really kickstarted our eventual rise to national prominence in the 2010 decade.

Amazing what good shooting can do.

Our front court rotation of Anderson, Fameni, Roland, and Gwynn was more than adequate with that perimeter firepower. Gwynn, Maynor, and Pellot-Rosa gave us that toughness/grit/fight that has often been lacking in the Rhoades era.