Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Feb 14, 2011
The 2007 team that beat Duke featured VCU’s finest perimeter group ever......Maynor, Walker, Shuler, Pellot-Rosa. All shot over 40% from 3 (except Maynor at 39%). The team shot 40+ % from 3. KP Offensive Efficiency rank was #18. You can thank Jeff Capel for recruiting those kids......all four-year guys. Those four really kickstarted our eventual rise to national prominence in the 2010 decade.

Amazing what good shooting can do.

Our front court rotation of Anderson, Fameni, Roland, and Gwynn was more than adequate with that perimeter firepower. Gwynn, Maynor, and Pellot-Rosa gave us that toughness/grit/fight that has often been lacking in the Rhoades era.
Been a supporter for decades and I did not know or maybe realize that....40% from the 3! The game has changed a lot since the JC days but I don't recall that group as a whole being particularly skilled defensively compared to the mentality Rhoades brings. Playing sound defense is hard, certainly can affect the shooting for many guys, not all. Bones?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Been a supporter for decades and I did not know or maybe realize that....40% from the 3! The game has changed a lot since the JC days but I don't recall that group as a whole being particularly skilled defensively compared to the mentality Rhoades brings. Playing sound defense is hard, certainly can affect the shooting for many guys, not all. Bones?
That team had an elite offense but couldn't guard a church league squad. Still one of my favorites.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
“High school coaches are under fire to send Black athletes to places where they are going to be safe....”. How do you think a high school or AAU coach or parent would feel about sending their kids to a college in Richmond,VA if they read some of the recent articles in the RTD about looting, et al? I wonder. Not trying to point the finger at anyone, but is this an environment any of you would be comfortable having your kids live?
If they are African Americans I'd doubt they've give it a second thought. They know what is going on and why this stuff started. Not many in the community would tell their Child to participate.

Now if the Police were on a rampage in retaliations or some White Supremacist group was infiltrating the campus that'd be another story.

Fwiw, African American parents have sent our children (athletes and scholars) to places like SC, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, GA, TX where we weren't wanted and physically threatened since the 60's. Most hardly care about a group of folks protesting Police brutality regardless of their methods.

Mar 2, 2014
If they are African Americans I'd doubt they've give it a second thought. They know what is going on and why this stuff started. Not many in the community would tell their Child to participate.

Now if the Police were on a rampage in retaliations or some White Supremacist group was infiltrating the campus that'd be another story.

Fwiw, African American parents have sent our children (athletes and scholars) to places like SC, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, GA, TX where we weren't wanted and physically threatened since the 60's. Most hardly care about a group of folks protesting Police brutality regardless of their methods.
Happy birthday Bones!

Jan 16, 2020

You got to look out for those "White Supremacist groups" ... they're everywhere on VCU campus , lurking in the shadows, ducking behind bushes and trash cans, stalking the alleyways, roaming the rooftops, congregating in empty buildings, plotting, scheming, ... Beware!

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
You got to look out for those "White Supremacist groups" ... they're everywhere on VCU campus , lurking in the shadows, ducking behind bushes and trash cans, stalking the alleyways, roaming the rooftops, congregating in empty buildings, plotting, scheming, ... Beware!
I got ready to put some details in here but probably better not to. But yes this is not far off, they are and always have been here, no different in that regard from the states/areas list in rammad90's list. I'm a fan boy and will PM you some details of these run ins from the 70s growing up in the fan to the present day, if you wish.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009

Only point I was trying to make is that if your kid had the option of going to school in a locale that might not pose a risk to his safety, regardless of who the perpetrators were, wouldn’t you prefer or at least factor that in to the decision.

Last edited:

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I got ready to put some details in here but probably better not to. But yes this is not far off, they are and always have been here, no different in that regard from the states/areas list in rammad90's list. I'm a fan boy and will PM you some details of these run ins from the 70s growing up in the fan to the present day, if you wish.
And this is political, how?!

Reactions: vcugq08