Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Mar 1, 2015
Hahaha, Pretty good. Bones is fantastic. By the time he leaves, it would not be that surprising if he is the programs all time leader scorer. But the NBA is a tough gig to get into. Not many spots, players profiles are not always what they want. Basketball nerds are squeezing out every point they can with their analytics.

Could anyone name some comps in the NBA of similar size, build, skills? Not many, if at all. What role would he fill? Point Guards in the NBA tend to be scoring machines. Curry, Irving, Lillard, Walker etc. Unless your talking about players like that, most teams don’t even use a PG to run the offense. Look at the teams left playing. Lebron runs the Lakers offense, Kawai and sometimes George runs the Clips, Jimmy Buter runs Miami’s offense. More often then not, the center runs the offense for Denver. Wings in the NBA are good enough to do it, so it makes sense. They can do more. Bones would have to bring enough in other ways. He’s a great shooter. But shooting over perimeter defenders could be an issue. Those guys tend to be Hason Wards length. If they need a shooter, they can just get a player a lot taller/stronger or with a quicker shot. Wings are more versatile. Could Bones guard anyone? Or go to the rim. He’s pretty small/slight to that.

Maynor, VCUs greatest player, had an NBA career of 5 years, 5 teams, and less than 5 ppg. He is the all time scorer for VCU, but not a scorer at all in the NBA. His NBA career ended and just about the same time the game totally changed. Teams now take twice as many 3s, and old school point guards are pretty much obsolete in the NBA. If he came out today, would he even make the league at all? Basically all he did was run the offense, which really isn’t needed. And that’s the all-time scorer and yard stick of VCU points guards.

Bones could make it, sure. He’s great, plenty of time to do it. Better chance than other VCU players of late that got discussed. But he will be competing for a very limited number of spots, with many great players in a position of decreasing importance. Odds are not great. I’m sure he will have a great career and make lots of money, NBA or overseas. Anyway, back to my Egg McMuffin.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Steve Roadcap

Top Member
Oct 18, 2015
Hahaha, Pretty good. Bones is fantastic. By the time he leaves, it would not be that surprising if he is the programs all time leader scorer. But the NBA is a tough gig to get into. Not many spots, players profiles are not always what they want. Basketball nerds are squeezing out every point they can with their analytics.

Could anyone name some comps in the NBA of similar size, build, skills? Not many, if at all. What role would he fill? Point Guards in the NBA tend to be scoring machines. Curry, Irving, Lillard, Walker etc. Unless your talking about players like that, most teams don’t even use a PG to run the offense. Look at the teams left playing. Lebron runs the Lakers offense, Kawai and sometimes George runs the Clips, Jimmy Buter runs Miami’s offense. More often then not, the center runs the offense for Denver. Wings in the NBA are good enough to do it, so it makes sense. They can do more. Bones would have to bring enough in other ways. He’s a great shooter. But shooting over perimeter defenders could be an issue. Those guys tend to be Hason Wards length. If they need a shooter, they can just get a player a lot taller/stronger or with a quicker shot. Wings are more versatile. Could Bones guard anyone? Or go to the rim. He’s pretty small/slight to that.

Maynor, VCUs greatest player, had an NBA career of 5 years, 5 teams, and less than 5 ppg. He is the all time scorer for VCU, but not a scorer at all in the NBA. His NBA career ended and just about the same time the game totally changed. Teams now take twice as many 3s, and old school point guards are pretty much obsolete in the NBA. If he came out today, would he even make the league at all? Basically all he did was run the offense, which really isn’t needed. And that’s the all-time scorer and yard stick of VCU points guards.

Bones could make it, sure. He’s great, plenty of time to do it. Better chance than other VCU players of late that got discussed. But he will be competing for a very limited number of spots, with many great players in a position of decreasing importance. Odds are not great. I’m sure he will have a great career and make lots of money, NBA or overseas. Anyway, back to my Egg McMuffin.
Henderson played in the NBA from the 1979/80 thru 1991/92 season and averaged 8.9 points per year with 3 NBA Championship rings; Not too shoddy. The best of the Rams to make it to the NBA.

Reactions: Valley drop step
Mar 1, 2015
Henderson played in the NBA from the 1979/80 thru 1991/92 season and averaged 8.9 points per year with 3 NBA Championship rings; Not too shoddy. The best of the Rams to make it to the NBA.
I know. One guy of note, 40 years ago. That’s part of the point.

Henderson made maybe the biggest play in NBA history, stole the finals in 84, the series that made league. No games on the other night, watched it on YouTube for a bedtime story. (Celtics fan). That soothing voice of Johnny Most “Its picked off, Henderson lays it in!!!”

Reactions: Hops

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
If they are African Americans I'd doubt they've give it a second thought. They know what is going on and why this stuff started. Not many in the community would tell their Child to participate.

Now if the Police were on a rampage in retaliations or some White Supremacist group was infiltrating the campus that'd be another story.

Fwiw, African American parents have sent our children (athletes and scholars) to places like SC, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, GA, TX where we weren't wanted and physically threatened since the 60's. Most hardly care about a group of folks protesting Police brutality regardless of their methods.

Jan 16, 2020

Threes please; Over last decade, few schools have hoisted more threes (relative to total shots taken) than the Rams ... that's why they call it 3CU.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Ok so I had some time to kill and decided to take on this exercise
Here is the Data reference point used.
VCU List Bones at 6'3" 165 lbs on last years roster.
For the first set, I used NBA players between 6'0" and 6'4" that were <= 185lbs.
For the second set I used NBA players between 6'0" and 6'4" that were <= 199lbs.(Note CJ McCollum was also listed at 6'3" 165 as a freshman at Leigh and he is currently listed at 6'3" 195lbs for the most recent NBA roster)
Could anyone name some comps in the NBA of similar size, build, skills?
7% or 33 NBA players have a similar build and size to Freshman Bones(6-6'4 less 185 or less)

In the group below, Lou Williams, Dennis Schroder, Patrick Beverley and Rajon Rondo are some comparables as to how I see Bones fitting in the NBA

www.nba.com/players/jordan/bone/1629648
www.nba.com/players/avery/bradley/202340
www.nba.com/players/trey/burke/203504
www.nba.com/players/quinn/cook/1626188
www.nba.com/players/seth/curry/203552
www.nba.com/players/stephen/curry/201939
www.nba.com/players/yogi/ferrell/1627812
www.nba.com/players/de'aaron/fox/1628368
www.nba.com/players/brandon/goodwin/1629164
www.nba.com/players/josh/gray/1627982
www.nba.com/players/kyle/guy/1629657
www.nba.com/players/aaron/holiday/1628988
www.nba.com/players/brandon/knight/202688
www.nba.com/players/jalen/lecque/1629665
www.nba.com/players/jeremiah/martin/1629725
www.nba.com/players/patty/mills/201988
www.nba.com/players/ja/morant/1629630
www.nba.com/players/monte/morris/1628420
www.nba.com/players/mychal/mulder/1628539
www.nba.com/players/dejounte/murray/1627749
www.nba.com/players/shabazz/napier/203894
www.nba.com/players/raul/neto/203526
www.nba.com/players/chris/paul/101108
www.nba.com/players/cameron/payne/1626166
www.nba.com/players/anfernee/simons/1629014
www.nba.com/players/ish/smith/202397
www.nba.com/players/kemba/walker/202689
www.nba.com/players/trae/young/1629027

Now assume Bones can put on 30lbs like CJ and that increase the number of similar NBA players to 16% of NBA players or 73. In that group I would then say George Hill, CJ McCollum and Elfrid Payton become similar comparisons

As for Eric, like many before him and there will be many afterwards, he was just not able to return to his old self post tearing his ACL

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
For the first set, I used NBA players between 6'0" and 6'4" that were <= 185lbs.
For the second set I used NBA players between 6'0" and 6'4" that were <= 199lbs.(Note CJ McCollum was also listed at 6'3" 165 as a freshman at Leigh and he is currently listed at 6'3" 195lbs for the most recent NBA roster)

7% or 33 NBA players have a similar build and size to Freshman Bones(6-6'4 less 185 or less)

In the group below, Lou Williams, Dennis Schroder, Patrick Beverley and Rajon Rondo are some comparables as to how I see Bones fitting in the NBA

Now assume Bones can put on 30lbs like CJ and that increase the number of similar NBA players to 16% of NBA players or 73. In that group I would then say George Hill, CJ McCollum and Elfrid Payton become similar comparisons

As for Eric, like many before him and there will be many afterwards, he was just not able to return to his old self post tearing his ACL
Bones's per 40 aren't too far off McCollum's freshman stats. He seems a good comp for active players to me, although Bones has more than a little Dame in his style, too.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014

Everyone on this board should be "liking" this. Great research, man! Thank you.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Please stick to avoiding the deep desire to be manipulating and controlling others.
These are the last words I have for you.
Please STOP with the politics!!! I have already had posts responding to you deleted by the moderators. Yours should be too! Let it go!!! This is NOT the forum many of us want, to banter with your political agenda. This is a basketball forum, and I would expect the moderators to be non-biased regarding posts, including yours.

Last edited: