Players ðŸ¦´ Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Mar 1, 2015
I think the more telling stat would be the percentages at which they shot.

Melvin played a decent amount of minutes his freshmen year (606 mins)... but was not the go to option his freshmen year. Melvin had Treveon, Juvonte, Rob Brandenburg & Troy ahead of him in the scoring department his freshman year.

Troy didn't get a lot of run his first 2 years... only played 157 mins (09-2010) & 126 mins (2010-11). So thats 283 total minutes in 2 seasons (let alone 39 games) with 1 career start..... In those 2 seasons Troy was 33-95 (34.7 %) from 3...look at the team Troy had around him (Joey, Brad, Ed, B-Rozz, Jamie), it's no wonder he didn't get a lot of run, or more opportunities. Not to mention, I believe he suffered an injury one of those years.

Neither Melvin, nor Troy were the go to options their freshman years.... Bones on the other hand played more than double the total mins (638 mins) and attempted 50 more 3's in his freshmen year alone than Troy in his first 2 years combined.... and easily became one of our go to scorers due to injuries & other factors among our upper classmen last year..... and Bones is already at 224 mins this season in 8 games... with 69 attempted 3's.

To me the more telling stat is the %'s. Melvin in his 4 seasons here never shot better than 40% from 3... came close in 2013-14 (39.5%).... Troy only shot better than 40% 1 time... his senior year, he shot 40.3%.

Bones on the other hand... Last year in 31 games shot 43.4% from 3. And so far through 8 game this year, he's at 40.6 %.
I think Troy and Bones are the best perimeter shooters VCU has had. Bones faces the same challenge Troy had, not a great shooting team and he attracts a lot of attention for that reason. Bones is more dynamic, so he gets a little more cushion---though they can both make their own cushion by stepping out to 30+. Troy was often heaving up a long contested one with the shot clocking winding down because they weren't getting anything else, so he was taking a lot of "bad" shots as a result.

Hyland hasn't played a bad game yet. He's lit the last 4 teams up-who were not that great. He struggled from 3 most of the first 4 games other than a short burst against Utah State in the first half. He was around 25 percent or so. Conference play will be interesting. It addition to it being a weird season, the league is tough this year. League play is more intense, opponents know you, your better scouted. Looking back at shooters we've had, 3pt % is generally lower in conference play than overall. It will be interesting to see how it goes, and it looks like he may get more help on the perimeter with some young guys emerging.

Troy has as sweet a shot as you will ever see, and he gets it off quick with good lift. He's totally a one trick pony, but he's going into his 9th season in the NBA, which says a lot about how good of a shooter he is. Hyland is obviously the better overall player, but just pure shooting - like a 3pt contest, hard to bet against Troy.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I think Troy and Bones are the best perimeter shooters VCU has had. Bones faces the same challenge Troy had, not a great shooting team and he attracts a lot of attention for that reason. Bones is more dynamic, so he gets a little more cushion---though they can both make their own cushion by stepping out to 30+. Troy was often heaving up a long contested one with the shot clocking winding down because they weren't getting anything else, so he was taking a lot of "bad" shots as a result.

Hyland hasn't played a bad game yet. He's lit the last 4 teams up-who were not that great. He struggled from 3 most of the first 4 games other than a short burst against Utah State in the first half. He was around 25 percent or so. Conference play will be interesting. It addition to it being a weird season, the league is tough this year. League play is more intense, opponents know you, your better scouted. Looking back at shooters we've had, 3pt % is generally lower in conference play than overall. It will be interesting to see how it goes, and it looks like he may get more help on the perimeter with some young guys emerging.

Troy has as sweet a shot as you will ever see, and he gets it off quick with good lift. He's totally a one trick pony, but he's going into his 9th season in the NBA, which says a lot about how good of a shooter he is. Hyland is obviously the better overall player, but just pure shooting - like a 3pt contest, hard to bet against Troy.
Bones has not had a game yet this season where he’s scored less than 11 points. He’s going into conference play as probably the most consistent scorer on the team.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
{Warning! Warning! Sarcasm Alert!}

I only got to see him at the Robins Center last year...
Are you saying this isn't going to be his career average game?

STARTERSMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
N. HylandG301-61-50-0066000423
He will likely have more games like that in his career, hopefully not vs UR. Great players and great scorers have their slumps, but you know they are for real and could take over at any time. Gilyard has not been himself on offense this year, but he is starting to find it and then watch out. I remember when Fatts Russell went through an ice cold stretch for about a month and then I was watching a game and it clicked mid first half- he was on fire the rest of the season.

I know you were tongue in cheek, we prefer to remember his other game vs UR last year.