Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Naively, it would seem an extra year in class makes an athlete more NBA ready .... Realistically, nearly the entire first round is made up of freshmen and sophomores. Look for yourself. In 2020, the first round consisted of 12 freshmen, nine sophomores, one junior, two seniors and six "international."

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Naively, it would seem an extra year in class makes an athlete more NBA ready .... Realistically, nearly the entire first round is made up of freshmen and sophomores. Look for yourself. In 2020, the first round consisted of 12 freshmen, nine sophomores, one junior, two seniors and six "international."
My son told me that the age of OKC’s starters averaged almost the same as the Oklahoma Sooners starters.

My son told me that the age of OKC’s starters averaged almost the same as the Oklahoma Sooners starters.

The majority of the NBA Rookie of Year candidates this year are 20'ish .... Ball, the Rookie leader before breaking wrist, is still 19.

Okay, I like the Price-Hyland comparison ... but here's a better one without sticking to Black & Gold ... Mr. Bones is very similar in size and ability to A.J. English, former NCAA Division II Player of Year at Virginia Union and second-round NBA draft choice of Washington. Incidentally, English is from Wilmington and coached some of Hyland's youth-league teams .... A.J. refers to him by his real name, Nah'Shon.

Ramikin

Elite Member
Insider
Okay, I like the Price-Hyland comparison ... but here's a better one without sticking to Black & Gold ... Mr. Bones is very similar in size and ability to A.J. English, former NCAA Division II Player of Year at Virginia Union and second-round NBA draft choice of Washington. Incidentally, English is from Wilmington and coached some of Hyland's youth-league teams .... A.J. refers to him by his real name, Nah'Shon.

A.J. English, haven’t heard that name in forever. I was a kid when he was at Union, but man what a team! They were amazing and A.J. English was the pride of this town when it came to basketball. Loved watching his highlights and reading everything about him I could in the papers and checking box scores. I loved Union back then.

Comparisons to English are a high compliment .... A.J. (Union) and his son, A.J. III (Iona) are among the few father-son combos to both score more than 2,000 career points. The elder A.J. averaged about 30 as VUU senior .... but here's the crazy thing - Union has won three NCAA Division 2 titles, but none came with NBA bound superstars, Mike Davis, Charles Oakley, Terry Davis, English or Ben Wallace.