Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Jan 16, 2020
One more year at VCU could elevate Bones to a lottery pick next season. The difference in the contract between a lottery pick and a late first or early second round pick is substantial.

Not saying you're wrong, Vic; but doubt there is much evidence of a sophomore gaining draft status by playing junior season (except in situation where an injury was involved) .... take a look at draft history since 2010 - primarily a freshman, sophomore, international fraternity.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I guess the question is how much is VCU's success tied to Bones draft stock. Scouts know who he is and what he is capable of. Another year at VCU will probably leave him with the same flaws he has this year.
He needs to get stronger. he's still growing into his body. If the NBA agrees, he'll likely end up on a G league team, and likely won't get the guaranteed money a lottery pick would get.

But the only undeniable thing is we have no idea what he is hearing. If he gets the promises through the process that we all want for him, he's gone. If he doesn't, he'll come back. I just hope he has the right people in his ear.

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
I guess the question is how much is VCU's success tied to Bones draft stock. Scouts know who he is and what he is capable of. Another year at VCU will probably leave him with the same flaws he has this year.
Now you are talking about his game. I do agree that Bones game would likely improve more in a year in the NBA than a year at VCU.

His draft value can improve dramatically in a year if VCU has a big season and he plays in front of large national audiences against top talent and shows impact play. Given that his value has increased with almost every VCU game he has played, I expect more VCU games will help his draft position.

Of course, eventually you do max out in value and more college games don't really help. I could be wrong but I don't think that's the case with Bones.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Now you are talking about his game. I do agree that Bones game would likely improve more in a year in the NBA than a year at VCU.

His draft value can improve dramatically in a year if VCU has a big season and he plays in front of large national audiences against top talent and shows impact play. Given that his value has increased with almost every VCU game he has played, I expect more VCU games will help his draft position.

Of course, eventually you do max out in value and more college games don't really help. I could be wrong but I don't think that's the case with Bones.
His game won't improve "in the NBA" unless he's actually playing in the NBA. If he's the 28th pick and riding the bench, or if he's playing for the Delaware Blue Coats, his game won't improve nearly as much as it would playing 34+ minutes a night and being featured in college.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I agree, one year can make a huge difference. I just don't see another year at VCU making a huge difference for his draft status.

The lottery is for freshman and international prospects. The odds of any Junior or senior making the lottery are incredibly low and even lower for a guard.
Agree, if you look at the mocks for 2022, just on physical stature alone, it would be tough to see him in the top 15 even with a Wooden Award like season. I think it’s in his best interest to go now, he‘ll get plenty of opportunities and if he plays to potential, he’ll have a nice long prosperous career in the NBA.

I learned a long time ago never to involve myself in another man’s money unless he asks me directly and even then, if he isn’t blood or a bond, I don’t answer. I’m sure Bones has good people in his life who will help him make the calls that are best for him. I will root for that guy forever regardless...just a true joy!

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
His game won't improve "in the NBA" unless he's actually playing in the NBA. If he's the 28th pick and riding the bench, or if he's playing for the Delaware Blue Coats, his game won't improve nearly as much as it would playing 34+ minutes a night and being featured in college.
I’m not so sure I agree with this. I think his game can improve tremendously practicing and being around pro players every day.

Of course, playing time always helps. Not disputing that. But whether NBA roster or G League, I think an argument can be made that those environments can be even better than college. Of course, there are exceptions to every situation so we’re all just guessing at this juncture.

Ramball

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I’m not so sure I agree with this. I think his game can improve tremendously practicing and being around pro players every day.

Of course, playing time always helps. Not disputing that. But whether NBA roster or G League, I think an argument can be made that those environments can be even better than college. Of course, there are exceptions to every situation so we’re all just guessing at this juncture.

I was wondering this also. Wonder if Isiah Todd ended up going to Michigan instead of the G league if his NBA draft standing (2nd round) would look different.....same if Jalen Suggs (sp) decided on G-league and not the Zags.

Reactions: buckwheat

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

The G-League has changed. Players are getting guaranteed $. Ex...Isaiah Todd & Jalen Green.

Reactions: PRock

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I was wondering this also. Wonder if Isiah Todd ended up going to Michigan instead of the G league if his NBA draft standing (2nd round) would look different.....same if Jalen Suggs (sp) decided on G-league and not the Zags.
Suggs was on the radar as a top five pick even before his senior season in HS, so he was golden either way. This year was bad for the G-league because of the rona, but the worst G-league team would likely run either of tonite’s teams out of the gym— particularly if they played NBA rules. The step up in talent is significant. As Brian Scalabrine said to a young phenom.....”I am closer in talent to LeBron James, than you are to me”.

Reactions: RamStrut

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
To say that his game won't improve in the NBA without playing is far from the truth. Even if Bones doesn't play a minute, practicing vs the best players in the world and being in an NBA weight program will improve his game. Even if he goes to the G league he is practicing day in and day out at a higher talent level than we have and is playing in competition that will be better than what he would face in college.

Jan 16, 2020
To say that his game won't improve in the NBA without playing is far from the truth. Even if Bones doesn't play a minute, practicing vs the best players in the world and being in an NBA weight program will improve his game. Even if he goes to the G league he is practicing day in and day out at a higher talent level than we have and is playing in competition that will be better than what he would face in college.

Interesting subject .... now let's apply it to two-year walk-on Arnold Henderson .... is Arnold a better player now with two seasons of Division I training (but minimal game time) than he would be right now if he'd gone to Randolph-Macon and averaged 20 minutes per game?

Ramwitch

Top Member
Dec 2, 2014
Interesting subject .... now let's apply it to two-year walk-on Arnold Henderson .... is Arnold a better player now with two seasons of Division I training (but minimal game time) than he would be right now if he'd gone to Randolph-Macon and averaged 20 minutes per game?
I’d argue yes. That’s like asking if you’d be better practicing with high school varsity team, or playing all minutes in a middle school game

Reactions: RamStrut

Ramball

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Suggs was on the radar as a top five pick even before his senior season in HS, so he was golden either way. This year was bad for the G-league because of the rona, but the worst G-league team would likely run either of tonite’s teams out of the gym— particularly if they played NBA rules. The step up in talent is significant. As Brian Scalabrine said to a young phenom.....”I am closer in talent to LeBron James, than you are to me”.
Wasn't saying G league isn't better (of course it is), but rather if someone like Isiah Todd goes to Michigan and blows up would he be looking at 1st round vs 2nd round. I never heard of Suggs until March Madness and I consider myself pretty big college hoops fan....will be interesting to watch and see what happens over the next few years with guys opting for G-League.