Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Dec 2, 2016
99% gone. That sounds bad but it's win-win.

For VCU: major for recruiting, lets others develop. Josh and Jamir are scorers. Nike EYBL points/game: 7.5 and 16.2. Guess who averaged double more than the other? Not Jamir. Exciting though because Jamir oozes NBA potential. Bones himself said that guys are really good but they're limited because he's here.

For Bones: fulfills dream, can support his family. He's not exactly from a HCOL suburb and his tragedy would be tough financially for anyone. A freaking pandemic on top of everything.

All year the coaches and his mom have handled the "NBA business stuff". It's not a secret - he mentioned it in a public interview. Don't forget he was one injury report away from potential 1st round pick to "Is he as quick as before his foot injury? Can he handle 72 NBA regular season games?" Being carried off the court at the end of season... fvck. Thank God it wasn't serious. Also you might have seen on IG he's letting his black/gold sneakers go.

Yeah who selfishly wouldn't wanna see him in a VCU jersey again. Long term it's a win-win for a relationship builder like Rhoades and Bones is a good guy (with a good people around hiM unlike SSomeone) you can't help but root for him.

Take 45 seconds and watch the first two questions (this was 2016 - way before his tragedy):

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
I spent some time at lunch looking at the last few NBA drafts. I had no idea how heavily weighted they were towards underclassmen. It kinda feels like Bones is choosing between taking his shot now, or committing to staying in school to get his degree and maybe never getting a shot. If that's the case, and he's going to get a shot, he has to take it.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

For VCU: major for recruiting, lets others develop. Josh and Jamir are scorers. Nike EYBL points/game: 7.5 and 16.2. Guess who averaged double more than the other? Not Jamir. Exciting though because Jamir oozes NBA potential. Bones himself said that guys are really good but they're limited because he's here.

For Bones: fulfills dream, can support his family. He's not exactly from a HCOL suburb and his tragedy would be tough financially for anyone. A freaking pandemic on top of everything.

All year the coaches and his mom have handled the "NBA business stuff". It's not a secret - he mentioned it in a public interview. Don't forget he was one injury report away from potential 1st round pick to "Is he as quick as before his foot injury? Can he handle 72 NBA regular season games?" Being carried off the court at the end of season... fvck. Thank God it wasn't serious. Also you might have seen on IG he's letting his black/gold sneakers go.

Yeah who selfishly wouldn't wanna see him in a VCU jersey again. Long term it's a win-win for a relationship builder like Rhoades and Bones is a good guy (with a good people around hiM unlike SSomeone) you can't help but root for him.

Take 45 seconds and watch the first two questions (this was 2016 - way before his tragedy):

He’s not wrong about the other players being limited while he’s here, it is kind of hard to stand out when there’s one really good player overshadowing everyone else. In a way, he’s being the opposite of selfish if he moves on, because he knows the team and wants to see them come into their own. Bones definitely looks out for them and wants them to succeed - after all, he was our biggest cheerleader when he missed the SLU game due to injury. I will have no hard feelings at all if he leaves, he’s done so much and will continue to do a lot for us even after he’s gone.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Wasn't saying G league isn't better (of course it is), but rather if someone like Isiah Todd goes to Michigan and blows up would he be looking at 1st round vs 2nd round. I never heard of Suggs until March Madness and I consider myself pretty big college hoops fan....will be interesting to watch and see what happens over the next few years with guys opting for G-League.

Suggs was the number 2 PG recruit last year, second only to Cade Cunningham, then named second team all american this season.....you’ve missed out on a pretty spectacular season if you are just now hearing about Suggs

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, after he hurt his foot I figured it was 100% gone (if it wasn't a serious injury) or 100% staying (if it was). I'm glad it wasn't and I'll be very surprised if he's back, but I've been surprised before.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
A couple of things because I haven’t seen mentioned:
1. It’s one thing to play 30-35 games in a college season, but a completely different grind playing 82 NBA games. The extended travel and 4 games in 5 nights in 5 different cities can wear guys down. I think another year of physical maturity would help Bones in this regard, but I am also admittedly biased because I think we have a Sweet 16 level squad if he comes back.

2. Guys who are certain to be drafted can buy insurance against injury. Many, many players in the major sports do that very thing. Now, the policy isn’t going to pay off like a decade in the NBA would, but it is a level of protection for guys who come back to college.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020
A couple of things because I haven’t seen either mentioned:
1. It’s one thing to play 30-35 games in college, but a completely different grind playing 82 NBA games. The extended travel and 4 games in 5 nights in 5 different cities can wear guys down. I think another year of physical maturity would help Bones in this regard, but I am also admittedly biased because I think we have a Sweet 16 level squad if he comes back.

2. Guys who are certain to be drafted can buy insurance against injury. Many, many players in the major sports do that very thing. Now, the policy isn’t going to pay off like a decade in the NBA would, but it is a level of protection for guys who come back to college.

I think with another year in the VCU weight room, Bones might look like Mo Alie-Cox. Or for you older fans, perhaps Troy Godwin or George Byrd. It's miraculous what a few dumbbell curls will do for a man.

Reactions: Newboy

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I think with another year in the VCU weight room, Bones might look like Mo Alie-Cox. Or for you older fans, perhaps Troy Godwin or George Byrd. It's miraculous what a few dumbbell curls will do for a man.
Troy Godwin was a tank! I was a big kid in middle school and always pretended to be him in the paint.

Reactions: Newboy

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Godwin was about 6-6, 290, with shoulders so broad they make Alie-Cox look skinny .... an interesting side note on Godwin;, at the time the VCU women's center (from Eastern Europe) was taller than the men's center.
When we played Mason back then, he and Jai Lewis from Mason were like two tanks just banging into each other.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
All I honestly hope is that Bones does not transfer.... (which does not seem likely at this point)

If he stays, Great! If he goes to the NBA, Great! I would be happy for either of those 2 situations.

It's a win-win for us as fans because either way, we'll get to watch him play.... sure in the NBA (depending on where & when he goes in the draft) he may not get a lot of playing time right away... but he'll be in the league. If he comes back, obviously VCU fans would love 1 more year of him at the STU.

Obviously, we all know, he's gotta do whats best for him. The tricky part is, if he comes back to VCU, he risks his NBA Stock in the sense that... all it takes is one wrong twist, turn, injury... etc. and his career could be shot or severely hampered.

And it's not that VCU doesn't have good Docs or anything... cause they do. But if he suffers a really serious injury here at VCU.... NBA teams are gonna be hesitant to take a shot on him right away.... despite his talent. Whereas, if he gets drafted or signed as an UFA to a team & gets hurt at some point during the season.... he's already on the squad.... the teams know exactly how serious the injury is... they can keep close eyes on him... as well as if he needs a "rehab assignment" down in the G-League (similar to what MLB players do)... they can send him down to a G-League Affiliate to get a couple games in before bringing him back up to the main roster.

Obviously, not wishing any injuries on anyone.... but it's sports & they happen. But its a much different ball game if they happen after hes already in the pros... versus trying to make it there.

Reactions: SZQ VCU