Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Speaking of Rams' heavyweights, anyone recall Randy Corker? Averaged 9 points, 5 rebounds, from 1981 to '83 under Barnett ... don't think he and J.D. got along.
Remember JD pointing to a table and saying Randy’s butt was as big as that table😄

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
All I honestly hope is that Bones does not transfer.... (which does not seem likely at this point)

If he stays, Great! If he goes to the NBA, Great! I would be happy for either of those 2 situations.

It's a win-win for us as fans because either way, we'll get to watch him play.... sure in the NBA (depending on where & when he goes in the draft) he may not get a lot of playing time right away... but he'll be in the league. If he comes back, obviously VCU fans would love 1 more year of him at the STU.

Obviously, we all know, he's gotta do whats best for him. The tricky part is, if he comes back to VCU, he risks his NBA Stock in the sense that... all it takes is one wrong twist, turn, injury... etc. and his career could be shot or severely hampered.

And it's not that VCU doesn't have good Docs or anything... cause they do. But if he suffers a really serious injury here at VCU.... NBA teams are gonna be hesitant to take a shot on him right away.... despite his talent. Whereas, if he gets drafted or signed as an UFA to a team & gets hurt at some point during the season.... he's already on the squad.... the teams know exactly how serious the injury is... they can keep close eyes on him... as well as if he needs a "rehab assignment" down in the G-League (similar to what MLB players do)... they can send him down to a G-League Affiliate to get a couple games in before bringing him back up to the main roster.

Obviously, not wishing any injuries on anyone.... but it's sports & they happen. But its a much different ball game if they happen after hes already in the pros... versus trying to make it there.
So he is not transferring to Bakersfield? ;)

Jan 12, 2020
OK -- someone help me out here:

ESPN has Bones Hyland ranked as the 68th best player that will/could be available in the upcoming NBA draft. Obviously that's just a projection by ESPN and it could be inaccurate, but if it is fairly accurate of what NBA scouts tell him his current projection is for this year's draft if he were to enter it, surely Bones is going to return to VCU for his junior season, no?

Unless he wants to go the undrafted/G-League route, and given how loaded of a draft it's set to be this year, it would seem that him returning to college for another year would become a no-brainer. What am I missing?

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012

ESPN has Bones Hyland ranked as the 68th best player that will/could be available in the upcoming NBA draft. Obviously that's just a projection by ESPN and it could be inaccurate, but if it is fairly accurate of what NBA scouts tell him his current projection is for this year's draft if he were to enter it, surely Bones is going to return to VCU for his junior season, no?

Unless he wants to go the undrafted/G-League route, and given how loaded of a draft it's set to be this year, it would seem that him returning to college for another year would become a no-brainer. What am I missing?
That NBA owners are often dumb

Reactions: mrgeode

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013

your not missing much in your analysis - there is lots of time between now and the date that they need to withdraw from the draft (nba sets 10 days b/4 draft and NCAA will likely set an earlier deadline for athletes to decide to return - I would expect Bones to seek input on the range of where he could be drafted - maybe go to the NBA combine (but not sure what the rules are for participants in combine eg can they return to college or do rising juniors participate and so on)
Lot's of factors for Bones to consider that most of us will likely never know this spring/summer
if Bones is told late second round or free agent signee with X club - I am speculating there is more value for him to return
If in top 40 picks that will be a tough decision for Bones
Like most here - I would love for Bones to return for his Junior year

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013

You aren't missing anything. If that's remotely accurate, he'll probably be back after entering the draft and getting feedback. The issue is if it is actually remotely accurate. We won't know that for a while yet. He stands a pretty good chance of being one of the rapid risers that show up in every draft.

Reactions: share the ball

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Interesting subject .... now let's apply it to two-year walk-on Arnold Henderson .... is Arnold a better player now with two seasons of Division I training (but minimal game time) than he would be right now if he'd gone to Randolph-Macon and averaged 20 minutes per game?
I'd say yes practicing at VCU and all the other extras has improved Arnolds skill set at rate much higher than he would have had he attended RMC.

However, Arnold would likely have a tough time starting or playing a lot at R-Macon. Even with his DI training starting or playing a lot there isnt likely for him. He certainly wouldn't have been close when he left High School.

DIII isnt as easy, especially at the guard position as it appears. I guarantee you that Mike Rhodes could shoot it with any DI player, he just lacked height, speed, or quickness to compete at that level.

Also, the analogy doesnt really hold as young Mr. Henderson has limited talent/ceiling. Guys like Bones have a much higher potential ceiling and if things work out can improve, relatively speaking, so much more than a young man like Arnold.

Practice, training and conditioning are keys to success on the Basketball Court. That is why we see young men who seemingly arent very good Freshman or Sophomore year blossom as Juniors/Seniors and why coaches always talk about "trusting the process".

The problem in the NBA is that few teams are patient enough to pay a guy big bucks while he grows into this talent. At least not for guys who are under 6'10 or over 21 years of age. Its next man up and they dont wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: MobileMunchies
Jan 16, 2020
R-MC may not have been the best comparison model. There are hundreds of Division III schools. R-MC is at the very top of that tote-em-pole. If Arnold couldn't have made the first rotation at R-MC he likely could have elsewhere. Former walk-ons Corey Burston and David Hinton could have definitely made a name for themselves on the floor at D-2 or D--3. But all this is evading the point .... would Bones Hyland be a better player with another season in A10, or running the floor and practicing with an NBA or G-League squad?

Reactions: MobileMunchies

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Definitely agree with those that say if you’re a NBA level talent it’s generally better to get in front of NBA level skill coaches, strength & conditioning trainers, nutritionists etc. There are limitations to the instruction you can get in college versus in the NBA or the G-league.

In the end it’s about betting on yourself if you feel you have the game to stick in the NBA. I think Bones can hang and have a pretty good career in the NBA. He might have the best chance to have a long NBA career that we’ve had in awhile. Troy Daniels has made his way as a niche role NBA journeyman but Bones has a higher ceiling IMHO.

If he’s going to be able to hang in the NBA, it’s because of what he already has, not because of what VCU is developing in him. His strengths are already known and out there. The opportunity cost is probably worth it for most guys, he can always come back and get a degree. The chance to cement a spot for himself in the NBA doesn’t come along often and when they come calling, you go. If he can’t hang now, he probably isn’t going to be able to hang in another year either.

While it’s been emphasized a lot that he said his dream was to play in the NCAA tournament, I’m a trillion per cent more positive that his bigger dream is to play in the NBA. The NCAA tournament is a side mission for most young basketball players if you will. No one’s ultimate dream is to play in the NCAAs unless they know they have no shot to make it to the NBA.

Kids’ biggest dreams aren’t of being Michael Jordan hitting a jumper to beat Georgetown in the NCAA National Title Game, their biggest dreams are being Michael Jordan hitting a shot over Bryon Russell to win in the NBA Finals.

Would having Bones next year be great for next year’s team? Sure. Would Bones getting into the NBA as an underclassman be as good or better for the program? I’d say yes! The kids and level of talent that we’re hoping to recruit are trying to go to places where they know they can make it to the NBA from as soon as possible.

Remember that we got an eventual NBA player like Troy Daniels late in the spring period with Eric Maynor getting drafted and another NBA rotation guy in Treveon Graham with Briante Weber (who has played 45 NBA games as well) soon after in the fall. Larry Sanders being an early entry NBA Draft pick also didn’t hurt. We got an eventual NFL tight end in Mo Alie-Cox after that as well. Think about the kids we were recruiting then (and all of them while we were still in the CAA!).

Bones will be fine whatever he decides, but so will VCU. He’s got the game to make it in the Association and I believe that he’ll do that whether that’s this year or next.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
All I honestly hope is that Bones does not transfer.... (which does not seem likely at this point)

If he stays, Great! If he goes to the NBA, Great! I would be happy for either of those 2 situations.

It's a win-win for us as fans because either way, we'll get to watch him play.... sure in the NBA (depending on where & when he goes in the draft) he may not get a lot of playing time right away... but he'll be in the league. If he comes back, obviously VCU fans would love 1 more year of him at the STU.

Obviously, we all know, he's gotta do whats best for him. The tricky part is, if he comes back to VCU, he risks his NBA Stock in the sense that... all it takes is one wrong twist, turn, injury... etc. and his career could be shot or severely hampered.

And it's not that VCU doesn't have good Docs or anything... cause they do. But if he suffers a really serious injury here at VCU.... NBA teams are gonna be hesitant to take a shot on him right away.... despite his talent. Whereas, if he gets drafted or signed as an UFA to a team & gets hurt at some point during the season.... he's already on the squad.... the teams know exactly how serious the injury is... they can keep close eyes on him... as well as if he needs a "rehab assignment" down in the G-League (similar to what MLB players do)... they can send him down to a G-League Affiliate to get a couple games in before bringing him back up to the main roster.

Obviously, not wishing any injuries on anyone.... but it's sports & they happen. But its a much different ball game if they happen after hes already in the pros... versus trying to make it there.
You're missing the fourth alternative.

ESPN just published a 2-round mock and Bones' name doesn't appear. I just hope the young man is getting honest, clear-eyed advice. I want the best for him, and if that means leaving VCU now so be it; I'll cheer for him wherever he goes. What I don't want to see is the young man dreaming of the NBA but ending up in Turkey or North Dakota, when returning could help him realize his dream.

Jan 16, 2020
VCU's season is officially over. Does that mean all the evidence is in on Hyland? Or are there camps and workouts in which there could be further scouting analysis? If so, that could be key. Don't know the rules on NBA draft, but aren't there ways you can stick your toes into the water without diving into the deep end? With Larry Sanders, I don't believe he was "all in" until he hired an agent.