Players ðŸ¦´ Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
having fun Ramdog and was quickly trying to get to that preferred G leauge $125,000 . You forget bobbleheads, wristbands, signed basketballs and photos,... just saying that there will be $$$ in both sides of this decision for players, not just Bones Hyland. I don't like the change, sure as heck think the fee extra year was a mistake, the transfer rule a mistake but know the NCAA is trying to evolve and compete. I don't have to agree but even in disagreement I would be willing to buy a jersey as might part to see The Rams succeed.
I wonder how it will end up. Back when I was a toddler they had the freshman sit one year rule. Then from college to the NBA came with restrictions. College talked the NBA into not allowing players out of high school after an influx f high school to pros. Now college is dealing with one and done while the NBA is back to getting young talent. It is all about that age of 17.
D*mn young folks :lol:

Reactions: PRock
Jan 16, 2020
Freshmen became eligible in 1972 for NCAA Division 1. Many of the greatest players of all time - Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Lew Alcindor, Pete Maravich, etc - spent a season on freshmen teams prior to joining varsity. Since VCU was not Division I, it did not need to abide by that rule. There was only one VCU freshman team, in 1970-71, an experiment that lasted only about six games.

Reactions: WestEndEd

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
EyyPgLsXIAQq3au

Jul 14, 2011
having fun Ramdog and was quickly trying to get to that preferred G leauge $125,000 . You forget bobbleheads, wristbands, signed basketballs and photos,... just saying that there will be $$$ in both sides of this decision for players, not just Bones Hyland. I don't like the change, sure as heck think the fee extra year was a mistake, the transfer rule a mistake but know the NCAA is trying to evolve and compete. I don't have to agree but even in disagreement I would be willing to buy a jersey as might part to see The Rams succeed.
You also forgot the 2,000 signed pictures for $100 that a couple donors decided to pick up to keep him happy at VCU.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
G League min. salary is $35k total for a 5 month season. Also I am pretty sure we are not recruiting either Thomas or Mo (less certain of the latter)
It's a good thing DL isn't advising him. Although he is on a first letter basis with Wahab.

Reactions: duncanlamb

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Likness court ruling, let's just play with that-

5,000 Hyland Ram Jerseys sold at $50 a pop and he gets 50%=== $125,000

Add that to a year of playing in front of fans, a year of free college and further developement, free living expenses and other perks...

Just playing with made up numbers, but the truth is that The Supreme Court making a ruling prior to the deadline of withdrawing from the draft might make this more interesting.
50% of the profit or 50% of total?

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
I think you guys take a "What if?" not very serious comment way to seriously. Yes, if that passes there will be $$, no it won't huge money because that alone would likely signal foul play since Alumni at Kentucky paying $500 for a jersey might raise an eyebrow or two. If a kid is just looking to add some bank and still experience college hoops while improving his stock then it will be a great plus. If a kid is just looking for bank and isn't a 1st Round Draft Choice then Europe is the avenue except for a very few. It will all be interesting and have to be very well- structured or it will be a big disaster. Some of you balk at $125,000 as if that is some huge sum. Heck, VCU just added an additional $1000 ticket fee in addition to donor level and ticket price and not a heck of a lot of resitance was given. Don't you think those same folks would give some nice cash for a "jersey " if it meant having a player that drastically improves your chance of winning be there and it be so-called above board. Answer is "YES". Reality is that that spot on our roster is with almost certainty going to be filled with someone else and in that case we wish Bones the best.

Ram20ROB

Top Member
Nov 12, 2014
I think he used the same math my wife does when she tells me how much money she saved using her Kohl's cash...... And I am like well, how much did you spend.....it's not about the spend, its about the savings, right?

I know I'm in trouble when the 18 wheeler backs in, my wife pulls out all the "bargains", and then tells me how much money she saved. I always respond with "Honey, we can't afford to save that much money!"

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Manifesting Bones wants to run it back with his brothers.
It really is the smart move, in my opinion......people always say "bet on yourself" or "a lion never loses sleep on the opinions of sheep"......but this years draft is SO HEAVY on PG/SG and Bones would be lucky to be in the top 15 of just those guys.....I see no mentions of him as a 1st rounder....scant few mentions of him as a 2nd rounder....
Folks also say "The draft favors Freshman/Sophomores" and that's just not true....the draft favors Potential Talent (ie-6'10" or taller or ridiculous PG's) and NBA ready talent. Bones aint the former and he's barely the latter right now.
You wanna roll the dice on a year or two of 100K and "bet on yourself" to make The League??OK, but there's no goin' back once you ring that bell
OR
Return to school for your junior year and immediately be on the Wooden Watch shortlist and then cash in on all the press/attention while your team lives in and around the Top of the A10 and maybe the AP Top 25 and really show off in March 2022?? I'm just sayin....there's value in that strategy. Heck, you can even get the 1st Round Insurance package and all that. Not to mention putting more bulk on and getting that body ready for an 82 game grind.

I support Bones all day and am ever thankful he chose to be a Ram....I just want to see him succeed at the highest level and not end up a "remember this guy" who is in Europe now while we all scratch our heads on why the NBA doesn't sign the guy.

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Not to mention the storyline that will follow us when we go to the ncaa next year. Bones fire goes draft to get to playing in the tournament where he and his team was denied in 2021. Good press great narrative.

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
Do you, just for the fun of it, think that he just might want to play in front of a packed Stu again? I bet he based part of his decision to come here in the first place on it.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Do you, just for the fun of it, think that he just might want to play in front of a packed Stu again? I bet he based part of his decision to come here in the first place on it.
During one of the late season games the announcers shared that Bones said he had no ideal what the Stu was like prior to committing. Recall he was a late signee, I don’t believe he ever did a visit in season. The announcers went further to share that Bones was blown away his freshman year by the support and energy of the crowd.

I would imagine that playing in a packed Stu would be a significant pull to stay, but not sure it outweighs the opportunity to play in the league and make life changing $$$ doing so.