Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
When was it not zero? People want to hold out hope that he is testing the waters but Bones is and has always been going pro.
I think the reason that people (myself included) were holding out hope that he could return is that college players do it all the time. I would say that if Bones truly has no intention of returning (and has even burned eligibility bridges) he's a bit of an exception to the rule, because he's not expected to be a lottery pick.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I think the reason that people (myself included) were holding out hope that he could return is that college players do it all the time. I would say that Bones is a bit of an exception to the rule, frankly, because he's not expected to be a lottery pick.
They do if they are testing the waters but he is not doing that. He signed with an agent and he is going pro.

Reactions: MobileMunchies

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
They do if they are testing the waters but he is not doing that. He signed with an agent and he is going pro.
But, signing with an agent doesn't burn eligibility bridges, so long as it's an approved agent. I mean, nothing he has said on social media gives any indication that he's doing anything other than going pro (as opposed to testing the waters) but I would imagine that's standard operating procedure. Players who really are testing the waters don't give the indication that they're doing so, because teams won't want to waste their time with them.

Have you heard if his agent is NCAA-approved? If he's not, then that ends any discussion.

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
I think the point is that Bones intended on going pro very early on when he declared and had no intention of coming back...he's all in. His recent posts on twitter have been very clear that he's a pro and not going back to college.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
But, signing with an agent doesn't burn eligibility bridges, so long as it's an approved agent. I mean, nothing he has said on social media gives any indication that he's doing anything other than going pro (as opposed to testing the waters) but I would imagine that's standard operating procedure. Players who really are testing the waters don't give the indication that they're doing so, because teams won't want to waste their time with them.

Have you heard if his agent is NCAA-approved? If he's not, then that ends any discussion.
If $$$ exchange hands beyond a standard set of expenses to attend combines/tryouts, eligibility gone. Approved agent, just means they are approved to negotiate contracts with the NBA, has no bearing on the NCAA— he could sign with John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt for all they care, as long as money doesn’t exchange hands and the relationship is terminated within guidelines prior to resuming eligibility.

Reactions: SteveMM

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
If $$$ exchange hands beyond a standard set of expenses to attend combines/tryouts, eligibility gone. Approved agent, just means they are approved to negotiate contracts with the NBA, has no bearing on the NCAA— he could sign with John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt for all they care, as long as money doesn’t exchange hands and the relationship is terminated within guidelines prior to resuming eligibility.
Not completely true. Not that this applies to Bones but if you sign with a NCAA agent and follow the guidelines you can retain eligibility. If your agent is not on the list you immediately forfeit eligibility. Also if you sign with an approved agent and don’t follow the established guidelines, you forfeit eligibility

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Not completely true. Not that this applies to Bones but if you sign with a NCAA agent and follow the guidelines you can retain eligibility. If your agent is not on the list you immediately forfeit eligibility. Also if you sign with an approved agent and don’t follow the established guidelines, you forfeit eligibility
What is an NCAA agent? Honest question: I purused the NCAA site with FAQs eligibility, there is no mention of an approved set of agents. Just language around acceptable expenses and termination of agent relationship if they opt out of draft and seek to restore eligibility.

They have amended so many things on this topic the last 10 years, hard to keep track.

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
What is an NCAA agent? Honest question: I purused the NCAA site with FAQs eligibility, there is no mention of an approved set of agents. Just language around acceptable expenses and termination of agent relationship if they opt out of draft and seek to restore eligibility.

They have amended so many things on this topic the last 10 years, hard to keep track.
I can't keep track, either. I did find this quick guide: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/cbreform/CBR_AgentRulesOnePager.pdf

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I notice this site also includes a list of certified agents, so that answers that question too.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
We do not have space available for Bones even if he did want to come back. A player on the team would need to transfer in order for Bones to return.