Players 🦴 Nah'Shon "Bones" Hyland 🦴

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I just can't resist the urge to say "I told you so" to the non-believers this summer who said the kid wouldn't get 10 minutes. Kid is special and he is clearly not intimidated by D1 PGs or the game in general. We've not had a natural F PG that I can remember in all my years as a VCU fan. Let's all enjoy the ride!

Finance Ram 10

Top Member
Jan 11, 2013
Is there a stat showing what % of 3pt assists are successful? It may just be anecdotal, but Nah'shon's passes seem to be far better placed, which seems to help get 3pt shots off faster before defenders have time to close out fully.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Is there a stat showing what % of 3pt assists are successful? It may just be anecdotal, but Nah'shon's passes seem to be far better placed, which seems to help get 3pt shots off faster before defenders have time to close out fully.
I checked, and 100% of Bone's assists that led to 3pters were successful!

Assists are only recorded when several criteria are met, the first of which is a made basket. I think what you're asking is if there is a "assist attempt" which doesn't exist.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
His shot is true. The little hitch in his giddy-up makes me think he's special and definitely a team player. What's not to like?

-----------------------
GO RAMS!
Beat Bears!!

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
stumbled on to this marquette blogger who has annual hypothetical cbb trade deadline..speculates about trading for bones...

pretty cool article.

That leaves VCU. I was very willing to write them off as a team with young, unheralded talent. Then I took a closer look at Nah’Shon Hyland. He was Delaware’s High School Player of the Year in 2019 after bouncing back from injuries set from a horrible family tragedy (pay for The Athletic, cowards) that forced him to jump out of a burning building (fine here’s a free article, go pay for The Athletic anyway). His comeback to playing basketball is truly miraculous and he’s on a fast track to being that one guy who every college basketball fan universally loves as a senior. He had interest from a ton of high major schools before ultimately landing on VCU. His nickname is also “Bones”, which is a top tier nickname.

the bench and is an absolute hound on the defensive end. When he plays, he’s the anchor of the Rams’ Havoc defense that we’ve all come to associate with the program and, while he has under-performed in this area through nine games of his collegiate career, he has the reputation of being a deadly shooter. That over-aggressiveness has led to some ill-advised shots and he will rush a bit during transition opportunities, but those can be chalked up to being a freshman. His future is incredibly bright.

Why,” you may ask, “would VCU give up their best recruit and likely fan favorite?” A large reason resides in their current roster. Right now there are 7 guys playing more minutes than Bones. Five of them are seniors, and Marcus Santos-Silva, a junior, could easily bolt for the NBA after this year. Mike Rhoades will be going through a major rebuilding effort after this year, and they’re currently competing in a massively tough A-10 Conference. While being the eighth guy off the bench is incredibly valuable to a team like VCU, I’m sure they’d much rather have a guy that can wiggle himself into being the first or second guy. Possibly someone who can provide some more scoring right now while being able to keep up defensively.

Enter Sacar Anim.
Yes, I feel icky about entering his name as well since he’s a redshirt senior who has clawed his way into a starting role and is the exact type of guy who gives us a reason to love college basketball. He clearly took his early season slump to heart and is back to his normal levels of steady production while being the best defender on the team. Part of what makes trades tough is that teams can’t just unload all the guys they don’t like and expect anything good to come out of it. It needs to hurt a little bit. This one will hurt emotionally, but it could make this team much better on the court."

Last edited:

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
stumbled on to this marquette blogger who has annual hypothetical cbb trade deadline..speculates about trading for bones...

pretty cool article.

That leaves VCU. I was very willing to write them off as a team with young, unheralded talent. Then I took a closer look at Nah’Shon Hyland. He was Delaware’s High School Player of the Year in 2019 after bouncing back from injuries set from a horrible family tragedy (pay for The Athletic, cowards) that forced him to jump out of a burning building (fine here’s a free article, go pay for The Athletic anyway). His comeback to playing basketball is truly miraculous and he’s on a fast track to being that one guy who every college basketball fan universally loves as a senior. He had interest from a ton of high major schools before ultimately landing on VCU. His nickname is also “Bones”, which is a top tier nickname.

the bench and is an absolute hound on the defensive end. When he plays, he’s the anchor of the Rams’ Havoc defense that we’ve all come to associate with the program and, while he has under-performed in this area through nine games of his collegiate career, he has the reputation of being a deadly shooter. That over-aggressiveness has led to some ill-advised shots and he will rush a bit during transition opportunities, but those can be chalked up to being a freshman. His future is incredibly bright.

Why,” you may ask, “would VCU give up their best recruit and likely fan favorite?” A large reason resides in their current roster. Right now there are 7 guys playing more minutes than Bones. Five of them are seniors, and Marcus Santos-Silva, a junior, could easily bolt for the NBA after this year. Mike Rhoades will be going through a major rebuilding effort after this year, and they’re currently competing in a massively tough A-10 Conference. While being the eighth guy off the bench is incredibly valuable to a team like VCU, I’m sure they’d much rather have a guy that can wiggle himself into being the first or second guy. Possibly someone who can provide some more scoring right now while being able to keep up defensively.

Enter Sacar Anim.
Yes, I feel icky about entering his name as well since he’s a redshirt senior who has clawed his way into a starting role and is the exact type of guy who gives us a reason to love college basketball. He clearly took his early season slump to heart and is back to his normal levels of steady production while being the best defender on the team. Part of what makes trades tough is that teams can’t just unload all the guys they don’t like and expect anything good to come out of it. It needs to hurt a little bit. This one will hurt emotionally, but it could make this team much better on the court."
Factual inaccuracies aside, only person to make that preposterous hypothetical trade would be Bruce Allen (ur grad).

Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

pretty cool article.

Enter Sacar Anim.
Why do you think that is cool article? I find it to be abhorrent:

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

pretty cool article.

Enter Sacar Anim.
If you listen to sports talk radio you know EVERY proposed trade favors the team the caller is a fan of. 99% of fan proposals consist of packaging up every unwanted player on their favorite team in exchange for someone else's stud.