20-21 Opponent Tracking

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@Ramdog because Mason did what every team should've done while Evans was gimpy or not playing: pressed us all game, even if it was just a token press. That made us spiral into our soft play, which explains Mason out-rebounding us.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
As you can imagine, I am no fan of the NBA. My vision of an NBA defender is James Harden. I suppose I have become accustomed to enjoy watching a team play its heart out on defense. I just see NBA players wanting to score as many points as they can. Sorry that my perception doesn’t match yours.
I can definitely understand the perception; I used to share it. The 07/08 season is when I first really became an NBA fan - the Celtics that year would just grind people into the dirt on defense, and I loved it. I still do. All my favorite teams to watch in college and in the league lead with defense. My current favorite team to watch on defense is Toronto. Kyle Lowry and Pascal Siakim are great individual defenders and Nick Nurse is a tremendous defensive coach. They play good team defense, with everyone calling out switches and moving on a string to not just cover gaps, but anticipate them. Indy, Milwaukee, Boston, and Utah are also fun to watch on that end this season.

Whenever they start playing games again, watch a game or two of Toronto's. Watch their help and recovery, the way they fight through screens, and their post defense (Lowry's my high, but he's apparently made of bags of cement when you try to bully him under the basket). You might like it. Plus they have the best mascot possible!

Or don't. I know you're an open-minded guy, but there's no harm in knowing what you don't like. Variety is the spice of life.

Dec 16, 2013
I can definitely understand the perception; I used to share it. The 07/08 season is when I first really became an NBA fan - the Celtics that year would just grind people into the dirt on defense, and I loved it. I still do. All my favorite teams to watch in college and in the league lead with defense. My current favorite team to watch on defense is Toronto. Kyle Lowry and Pascal Siakim are great individual defenders and Nick Nurse is a tremendous defensive coach. They play good team defense, with everyone calling out switches and moving on a string to not just cover gaps, but anticipate them. Indy, Milwaukee, Boston, and Utah are also fun to watch on that end this season.

Whenever they start playing games again, watch a game or two of Toronto's. Watch their help and recovery, the way they fight through screens, and their post defense (Lowry's my high, but he's apparently made of bags of cement when you try to bully him under the basket). You might like it. Plus they have the best mascot possible!

Or don't. I know you're an open-minded guy, but there's no harm in knowing what you don't like. Variety is the spice of life.
well written, I watch a lot of NBA games too and teams that are willing to play team defense and commit to individually playing defense will always be in the top half of the league. Good NBA teams will play a lot of 2 man game to isolate a scorer on the opponents poorest defender when they need to score - so hard to hide weak defenders
no denying lots of teams will not tighten defensive screws until the 4th quarter or when the game is on the line
Nurse is a very good coach - though a little of their success was that Siakim, Kwahi and Danny Green could defend multiple positions
some teams play little or no defense (wizards e.g.) and will continue to draft in the lottery

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
well written, I watch a lot of NBA games too and teams that are willing to play team defense and commit to individually playing defense will always be in the top half of the league. Good NBA teams will play a lot of 2 man game to isolate a scorer on the opponents poorest defender when they need to score - so hard to hide weak defenders
no denying lots of teams will not tighten defensive screws until the 4th quarter or when the game is on the line
Nurse is a very good coach - though a little of their success was that Siakim, Kwahi and Danny Green could defend multiple positions
some teams play little or no defense (wizards e.g.) and will continue to draft in the lottery
No doubt having one of the best four or five players alive didn't hurt! I mentioned Nurse since he's not afraid to run out some unconventional defenses. The box and one against Curry in the Finals was hilarious.