20-21 Opponent Tracking

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
So their last three OOC announcements have been Youngstown State, New Hampshire and now Appalachian State. Seems like this is a schedule that will rely heavily on winning big in conference play and even then needing to win the A10 Tournament. So far the UNLV, LSU and Charleston tournament games are only moving the needle.
What OOC games other than LSU, Niceville tourney and @CoC, moved the needle this past season. Seems about the same.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
VCU has never beaten Appalachian State. VCU is 0-2 against ASU. ASU is one of the few non P5 OOC schools to beat VCU in the Stu. Lots of new pieces to the puzzle at VCU next year. I would expect a much softer OOC schedule next year than what VCU has scheduled in previous years. No need to throw this young VCU team under the bus in November and December when they are still trying to figure things out. LSU and the Charleston tournament are going to be brutal enough.
Incorrect

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I thing there are multiple things at play here.

• P5 conference going to 20 games does not help our ability to schedule
  • Lower end P6 and high tier Non P5 are just as uncertain of our ability to be a good loss as some of our fans are currently
  • VCU scheduling philosophy of H and H or neutral site games limits our options
  • Don't underestimate the value of the contractual obligations for departing coaches. When teams would schedule us, they knew we would have at minimum 1 upper level P5 school with the ability to have at minimum a 2nd in a preseason tournament. That bargaining chip is now gone
  • Personally, I think if we finish 1st in conference this year, it will be the same as finishing 7th or 8th as far as scheduling next year. If we finish somewhere between 2 and 4, I imagine there will be several schools more willing to play

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
At VCU, you schedule for an at-large every year, regardless.

1) The coach has long term job security
2) VCU has the nation’s most “non-P6 at-large bids” over the past decade for a reason
3) The young team will be challenged real early anyway with the Charleston Classic (3 games in 4 days against good comp on a neutral)
4) If the team ends up being surprisingly good, you want to have an at-large profile as Plan A for a dance invite. The A-10 auto bid will always be Plan B and always be there for you no matter how the season unfolds.
5) The current ten games looks very similar to most of our annual OOC schedules by May 13.......Merrimack, Youngstown, Appalachian, ODU, UNLV, LSU, Charleston Classic (3), New Hampshire. Three left to schedule.
6) You schedule tough for many reasons (national reputation, exposure, recruiting pitch/promises, offseason motivation, ticket sales, etc).

Last edited:

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
VCU is 1-2 against ASU. ASU is one of the few non P5 OOC schools to beat VCU in the Stu. Lots of new pieces to the puzzle at VCU next year. I would expect a much softer OOC schedule next year than what VCU has scheduled in previous years. No need to throw this young VCU team under the bus in November and December when they are still trying to figure things out. LSU and the Charleston tournament are going to be brutal enough.
What is the prediction for Charleston? Did they graduate 3 started including Riller?

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I think Mike knows this season is going to be a slow build. Taking on major competition early could put us behind an 8 ball from which we could not recover. Get some wins early playing the kids and hope for a great 2d half. Makes some sense to me.

Yes Rowdy, the just announced Appy State. The tweet from Rothstein is posted here someplace
Personally, I think that is probably the smart move considering how last year ended and the youth of the team. Get some wins and momentum building while still having some chances for possible Q1 wins. That said, I am hopeful that there will be another possible Q2 game added even if it is a neutral site game vs a non power 6 school.

Reactions: wavevcu

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Another game you can go see at mid-court as a walk-up buyer. This game is on December 22 so it is not even an open the season with a patsy game.
Honestly I doubt whether you will be able to walk up and buy a ticket for this game

Or any other