20-21 Opponent Tracking

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
The more I watch Utah State the more impressed I am that our young team was able to come back and beat them handily on such short notice.

Let's hope they can make a mini-run in the Mountain West tournament and get to top-50 NET.
I would not like to be the coach game planning for Bones on short notice.

Edit: Actually, I would, because that'd mean at least a six figure salary to think about basketball.

Last edited:

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
No. Let's play at UR. We win, it's a Q1 and looks nice, and we destroy any glimmer of hope by pushing UR off the bubble completely. Lose, URs only hope is that we are a quality team I. The eyes of the committee. No real loss's there.
Yeah, but just stepping into the RC could result in our team having to go on pause for a week due to covid restrictions😄. UR’s been so terrific at limiting their exposure. Now their women’s team is on pause. Must have something to do with their high academic standards. That’s their go-to excuse for poor basketball performance relative to other members of the conference. So maybe they apply that same logic to covid prevention protocols.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentuckyRam

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

AC911589-AFDD-460A-A759-625A8BFF834B.jpeg
DFB066D5-1E61-4145-A8E3-5D7B240D0780.jpeg
For once, I think I completely agree with an Eight Legger post.

Other than the last sentence. I’m personally rooting for an extension and more of the status quo over there.

I remember VCU fans saying Mooney sucked as a coach for the longest time. It took Spiders fans a little longer to get on board but they’ve been on that train for a few years now at least.

Stumbling upon Kevin Anderson and Justin Harper was a mirage that locked Mooney in at UR to our extreme benefit at VCU.

VCU is 20-7 (.741) against the Spiders during Mooney’s tenure at Richmond. Far from a nightmare, I would say that all is as it should be.

The rest is bang on, 100% correct.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

View attachment 9176
View attachment 9177

Other than the last sentence. I’m personally rooting for an extension and more of the status quo over there.

I remember VCU fans saying Mooney sucked as a coach for the longest time. It took Spiders fans a little longer to get on board but they’ve been on that train for a few years now at least.

Stumbling upon Kevin Anderson and Justin Harper was a mirage that locked Mooney in at UR to our extreme benefit at VCU.

VCU is 20-7 (.741) against the Spiders during Mooney’s tenure at Richmond. Far from a nightmare, I would say that all is as it should be.

I chalk the COVID fiasco up to the AD and not Mooney, but the rest is more or less correct. I don’t blame Richmond fans for being disappointed at all. Their season was about as disappointing as our season last year - on paper they probably could have won the conference, but the attrition started early with Nick Sherod’s injury, then Kentucky turning out to be uncharacteristically bad. It all torpedoed from there.

Reactions: rvadansox

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009

View attachment 9176
View attachment 9177

Man I love reading that board.
Mooney has proved over the years to be a fine basketball coach, but that’s it. If UR ever decided to move on, he’d receive an offer as an assistant from a solid program or a HC position at a school in the Patriot or MAAC in a heart beat.

But..... since those 2010 and 2011 teams he just can’t win the big game. They have exactly 1 A10 semifinal appearance since then and that was 2017 when VCU stole the game from them in OT.

I’d be fed up if I was a Richmond at this point. Last year was a tough break with the cancellation, but even without Sherod this roster is an NCAA roster and they’ve played the majority of the season like they are an NIT team.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Man I love reading that board.
Mooney has proved over the years to be a fine basketball coach, but that’s it. If UR ever decided to move on, he’d receive an offer as an assistant from a solid program or a HC position at a school in the Patriot or MAAC in a heart beat.

But..... since those 2010 and 2011 teams he just can’t win the big game. They have exactly 1 A10 semifinal appearance since then and that was 2017 when VCU stole the game from them in OT.

I’d be fed up if I was a Richmond at this point. Last year was a tough break with the cancellation, but even without Sherod this roster is an NCAA roster and they’ve played the majority of the season like they are an NIT team.
This is more fair. He’s not a terrible coach by any means. He’s a decent coach who will give you winning teams. Reminds me a bit of Jeff Jones at ODU.

Both are guys that will give you good records that ultimately don’t mean anything. No meaningful or very few meaningful postseasons and a lot of 20 something and something records but nothing to show for it as far as championships, banners or NCAA tournament revenue.

It’s great for VCU that they’re both in that situation. Hard to fire a guy who is generally a winning coach running a clean program. As long as they’re winning but not enough to matter as far as being a threat to VCU, we’re in a golden spot.

Both programs are kind of forced to be mired in a kind of mediocrity since neither coach is bad enough to justify firing without having prospective coaches think twice.

Ram20ROB

Top Member
Nov 12, 2014
This is more fair. He’s not a terrible coach by any means. He’s a decent coach who will give you winning teams. Reminds me a bit of Jeff Jones at ODU.

Both are guys that will give you good records that ultimately don’t mean anything. No meaningful or very few meaningful postseasons and a lot of 20 something and something records but nothing to show for it as far as championships, banners or NCAA tournament revenue.

It’s great for VCU that they’re both in that situation. Hard to fire a guy who is generally a winning coach running a clean program. As long as they’re winning but not enough to matter as far as being a threat to VCU, we’re in a golden spot.

Both programs are kind of forced to be mired in a kind of mediocrity since neither coach is bad enough to justify firing without having prospective coaches think twice.

DB: agree with your analysis except I don't think it gives prospective coaches pause if Richmond makes a move. Coaches will understand that when you have made the conference tournament semifinal round only once in the last decade and it's been 10 years since your last NCAA appearance, the university has been more than patient with you. Especially when you can't coach your self-professed best team ever past Hofstra or LaSalle. Heck, prospective coaches will have a pretty low bar to clear following Mooney. And wasn't that the headline when UR left the CAA for the A-10, they'd be raking in all those at-large bids they couldn't get in the CAA. So I think if Richmond finally (ever?) makes a move, there will be interest by good coaches. But otherwise, I agree - he's just successful enough to keep his job, but not good enough to be a consistent threat to his rivals.

Last edited:
Reactions: districtballer

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009

View attachment 9176
View attachment 9177

We really need them to re-up mooney; otherwise, they hire Jamal Brunt.