20-21 Opponent Tracking

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
DB: agree with your analysis except I don't think it gives prospective coaches pause if Richmond makes a move. Coaches will understand that when you have made the conference tournament semifinal round only once in the last decade and it's been 10 years since your last NCAA appearance, the university has been more than patient with you. Especially when you can't coach your self-professed best team ever past Hofstra or LaSalle. Heck, prospective coaches will have a pretty low bar to clear following Mooney. And wasn't that the headline when UR left the CAA for the A-10, they'd be raking in all those at-large bids they couldn't get in the CAA. So I think if Richmond finally (ever?) makes a move, there will be interest by good coaches. But otherwise, I agree - he's just successful enough to keep his job, but not good enough to be a consistent threat to his rivals.
Definitely fair. I suppose the dislike in me wants to see it as a warning shot to candidates that UR will fire their winningest coach in history (to be fair, also the coach with the most losses in UR history) because he didn’t take the Spiders dancing enough.

On the flip side, I guess coaches could be excited by the idea that a coach could go 10 years without dancing and rake over a million a year to do it at Richmond too.

Richmond as a job has some perks for sure. Nice traditional campus, recent renovations to basketball facilities, good budget support for MBB. Fan support isn’t great but when they’re good they have decent support. They’ve played 2nd fiddle to VCU in MBB for quite awhile but a motivated and driven coach would see that as a challenge. Drawbacks include self-imposed admissions obstacles to getting the best NCAA-qualified players or non-qualifiers who can sit out but join the program a year later. That probably would give a number of coaches pause. Coaches who are used to coaching at schools with similar self-imposed limits could probably work with that.

Richmond is a job with potential and good support. However, the overall culture from the AD on down there seems laid back with lip service to being committed to winning at a championship level and visible investments in the program but not much in the way of tangible expectations for success at the highest level or accountability for failing to meet them.

Actually, that sounds like a dream job now that I’ve read that. As long as you kinda win enough, you can coast and cash in even if you don’t do anything meaningful.

Let’s just hope they keep Mooney or fire him and hire another guy who will coast and keep the Spiders in our shadow.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
This is more fair. He’s not a terrible coach by any means. He’s a decent coach who will give you winning teams. Reminds me a bit of Jeff Jones at ODU.

Both are guys that will give you good records that ultimately don’t mean anything. No meaningful or very few meaningful postseasons and a lot of 20 something and something records but nothing to show for it as far as championships, banners or NCAA tournament revenue.

It’s great for VCU that they’re both in that situation. Hard to fire a guy who is generally a winning coach running a clean program. As long as they’re winning but not enough to matter as far as being a threat to VCU, we’re in a golden spot.

Both programs are kind of forced to be mired in a kind of mediocrity since neither coach is bad enough to justify firing without having prospective coaches think twice.
Both schools have been in a situation of, "Can we actually do better than what we currently have?"
I try to remind myself that we've had 5 Head Coaches since the 2002-2003 and all 5 have made the NCAAs, 4 of the 5 have played in two postseason tournaments (MR will play in the NCAA or NIT shortly) so it will be 5 of 5 shortly, and all 5 have had winning records at VCU.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Richmond is a job with potential and good support. However, the overall culture from the AD on down there seems laid back with lip service to being committed to winning at a championship level and visible investments in the program but not much in the way of tangible expectations for success at the highest level or accountability for failing to meet them.
I bolded what the biggest issue is with Richmond Spiders Athletics - Lack of commitment.

It's weird because it wasn't always like that. I was born in '92 so I was a kid well past the Tarrant days, but I was young when Beilein was killing it at Richmond and Wainwright had some good teams too. I remember my elementary school in Midlothian in the early 2000s was full of kids who's parents took them to Richmond games. Maybe the fact that the campus was 10 minutes from home and the City of Richmond was still notorious for its homicide rates kept people from going to VCU games, but it changed VERY quickly. I feel like VCU was teetering on taking over the Richmond area before 2007 and then Maynor hits the shot to beat Duke and every local Richmond family without a dog in the fight started to go to more VCU games than Richmond games. And then.... well 2011 happened and we all know what's happened since then.

*Note - I am not trying to pick a fight about Richmond and homicide rates. I am a proud VCU alum who has lived in the city since 2011. I've lived in Oregon Hill, The Fan, and Church Hill and I'm proud of this city. But.... I still remember hearing Virginia CAA schools calling us VirginiaCriminalsUnite in the early 2000s. I'm just pointing out a label that Richmond had at that time and how it could have had an affect on VCU basketball attendance.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
Both schools have been in a situation of, "Can we actually do better than what we currently have?"
I try to remind myself that we've had 5 Head Coaches since the 2002-2003 and all 5 have made the NCAAs, 4 of the 5 have played in two postseason tournaments (MR will play in the NCAA or NIT shortly) so it will be 5 of 5 shortly, and all 5 have had winning records at VCU.

have to guess we are the only ones that can boast that sort of program stability

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Very true. We probably take for granted that hiring a new coach just means more of the same because all of our guys have been relatively successful without too much drop off.

There are few programs who could go through 5 head coaching hires and maintain or even grow a program‘s quality and presence. We’ve been fortunate to have good hires and the Villa 7 program to cull high quality P5 assistants like Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart and then to have a guy like Shaka cultivate such a quality in-house assistant coaching pool for VCU to continue to draw from while still keeping the overall culture and feel. That residue of success has just lingered because our coaches have all been part of the program long before they got hired as head coaches.

It’s truly remarkable. I don’t know if there is any head coach in the A-10 who has cultivated a coaching tree of assistants who’ve become head coaches like Shaka Smart did. It’s especially impressive considering Shaka was in his 30’s here.

Off the top of my head I can think of Mike Rhoades (Rice, then VCU), Will Wade (UTC, VCU then LSU), Mike Jones- Radford, Jamion Christian- (Mt. St. Mary’s, Siena, and now GW), Jeremy Ballard- FIU, Mike Morrell- UNC Asheville. That’s 6 D1 head coaches from one non power 5 program.

I don’t think either ODU or Richmond have any type of coaching culture or fraternity like that to draw from. Indeed I don’t think either program has even established that type of culture with their current coaches to want to even draw from that tree if there was one to begin with.

We’re extremely fortunate to be in the position we’re in at VCU.

If and when ODU or Richmond decide to move on from these guys, it’s a bit of a crapshoot as to how the next hire will go.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
have to guess we are the only ones that can boast that sort of program stability
Xavier is the first school I think of when I think of continued success through multiple head coaches.
Pete Guillen (7 NCAAs and 1 NIT in 9 years as HC)
Skip Prosser (4 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 7 years as HC)
Thad Matta (3 NCAAs including an E8 in 3 years as HC)
Sean Miller (4 NCAAs in 5 years as HC)
Chris Mack (8 NCAAs in 9 years as HC including 3 S16s and 1 E8) - ironically his only year they didn't make the NCAAs was the year we were in the A10 with them
Travis Steele made the NIT in 2019 and we'll see how he does

With all of that said, this dates back to 1985-1986 whereas Jeff Capel was hired in 2002-2003. If in 10-15 years I look back and we have the success that Xavier had since 1985 thru 2019, then I would be VERY HAPPY.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Out of Conference Opponents
Utah State*- (15-7) (Crossover Classic)
#15 West Virginia*- (17-6) (Crossover Classic)
Memphis*- (13-6) (Crossover Classic)
@ Penn State (8-13)
Mount St. Mary's- (10-10)
North Carolina A&T- (11-10)
Old Dominion (13-5)
Western Carolina (12-15)
James Madison (13-6)

Conference Opponents
@ Saint Joseph's (3-14) (2-9 in A-10)
Davidson x2 (12-7) (7-4 in A-10)
George Mason x2 (12-8) (8-6 in A-10)
Rhode Island x2 (10-14) (7-10 in A-10)
@ George Washington (4-11) (3-5 in A-10)
Richmond x2 (13-6) (6-4 in A-10)
Dayton x2 (12-8) (8-7 in A-10)
UMass (7-5) (6-3 in A-10)
La Salle (9-15) (6-11 in A-10)
@ Duquesne (8-8) (7-7 in A-10)
Fordham (2-11) (2-11 in A-10)
@ St. Bonaventure (13-3) (11-3 in A-10)
Saint Louis (12-5) (5-4 in A-10)

Non Conference Opponent Record: 112-77
Conference Opponent Record: 118-116 (78-83 in conference play)
Combined Overall Record: 230-193

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Saturday February 27th
Davidson defeats VCU- 65-57

Western Carolina defeats Mercer- 85-61
#10 West Virginia defeats Kansas State- 65-43
George Mason defeats La Salle- 89-54
Duquesne defeats Rhode Island- 86-75
Old Dominion defeats Middle Tennessee- 73-60
North Carolina A&T defeats North Carolina Central- 55-53

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
What’s that got to do with it? Was only making the point that before we start throwing stones, we should remember we had a similar history with one of our coaches.
So, you want to compare a similar coaching situation at VCU 23 years ago to fur's coaching situation now? A LOT has changed for VCU in the last 23 years. That's like saying the US shouldn't throw stones at Britain because we lost the War of 1812.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
So, you want to compare a similar coaching situation at VCU 23 years ago to fur's coaching situation now? A LOT has changed for VCU in the last 23 years. That's like saying the US shouldn't throw stones at Britain because we lost the War of 1812.
Again, I’ll type slowly-what’s that got to do with it?

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
Definitely fair. I suppose the dislike in me wants to see it as a warning shot to candidates that UR will fire their winningest coach in history (to be fair, also the coach with the most losses in UR history) because he didn’t take the Spiders dancing enough.

On the flip side, I guess coaches could be excited by the idea that a coach could go 10 years without dancing and rake over a million a year to do it at Richmond too.

Richmond as a job has some perks for sure. Nice traditional campus, recent renovations to basketball facilities, good budget support for MBB. Fan support isn’t great but when they’re good they have decent support. They’ve played 2nd fiddle to VCU in MBB for quite awhile but a motivated and driven coach would see that as a challenge. Drawbacks include self-imposed admissions obstacles to getting the best NCAA-qualified players or non-qualifiers who can sit out but join the program a year later. That probably would give a number of coaches pause. Coaches who are used to coaching at schools with similar self-imposed limits could probably work with that.

Actually, that sounds like a dream job now that I’ve read that. As long as you kinda win enough, you can coast and cash in even if you don’t do anything meaningful.

Let’s just hope they keep Mooney or fire him and hire another guy who will coast and keep the Spiders in our shadow.
Well here is something to ponder. Any recruit born on 3/11/2005 or later, was born after anyone but Mooney coached a game for us.

How young is the youngest VCU recruit?