20-21 Opponent Tracking

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
HC. I am not going to miss him. But man, I though he was a better HC than this. I get the COVID. I get Sherrod and a key reserver out. However, this team was FN loaded. Loaded. Francis, Golden, Gilyard, Cato, and Burton can all BALL, plus they have not great but adequate bodies on their bench.

Many of our fans have stated, and now I agree, UR should consider firing Mooney. They gave this guy every chance to be successful and he wets the bed with his "Best Group Ever". This is shameful.
In regards to the bolded part.... Honestly I don't.

Sure he had those 2 years (09-10 & 10-11) where they made the NCAA Tourney, including the Sweet 16 appearance in 2011.... but lets be honest.... with all the Talent hes had over the years.... he should've done more than he has.

In Mooney's Tenure this far he has
2 NCAA Tourney Appearances
2 NITs
3 CBIs
7 empty post seasons
1 season ended by Covid (last year... who knows where they woulda ended up)
This year?

So in 14 seasons (prior to last year) Mooney has 7 post season appearances and only 2 of them were NCAA's... his last NCAA appearance being 10 years ago this month.

With the talent that Mooney has had since 2011 (Anthony, Garrett, Lindsay, Brothers, Sparrow, Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, Trey Davis, Terry Allen, Shawn'dre Jones, TJ Cline, Fore, Wood, Buckingham, Sherod, Golden, Gilyard, Cayo, Francis).... and yet in 10 seasons since their Sweet 16 appearance they have

0 NCAA Tourney appearances (in 8 chances so far, not counting 2020 (covid) or this year yet)
2 NIT Quarterfinal Appearances
3 Top 4 finishes in A10 regular season
6-15 vs VCU since March 2011 (0-5 vs VCU in Month of March)

Plus we all remember this meltdown by Mooney

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
In regards to the bolded part.... Honestly I don't.

Sure he had those 2 years (09-10 & 10-11) where they made the NCAA Tourney, including the Sweet 16 appearance in 2011.... but lets be honest.... with all the Talent hes had over the years.... he should've done more than he has.

In Mooney's Tenure this far he has
2 NCAA Tourney Appearances
2 NITs
3 CBIs
7 empty post seasons
1 season ended by Covid (last year... who knows where they woulda ended up)
This year?

So in 14 seasons (prior to last year) Mooney has 7 post season appearances and only 2 of them were NCAA's... his last NCAA appearance being 10 years ago this month.

With the talent that Mooney has had since 2011 (Anthony, Garrett, Lindsay, Brothers, Sparrow, Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, Trey Davis, Terry Allen, Shawn'dre Jones, TJ Cline, Fore, Wood, Buckingham, Sherod, Golden, Gilyard, Cayo, Francis).... and yet in 10 seasons since their Sweet 16 appearance they have

0 NCAA Tourney appearances (in 8 chances so far, not counting 2020 (covid) or this year yet)
2 NIT Quarterfinal Appearances
3 Top 4 finishes in A10 regular season
6-15 vs VCU since March 2011 (0-5 vs VCU in Month of March)

Plus we all remember this meltdown by Mooney

How many of their players from the past decade would they consider as part of their "all time greats" and none of them reached the NCAA's once? That is horrendous.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
How many of their players from the past decade would they consider as part of their "all time greats" and none of them reached the NCAA's once? That is horrendous.
Some of those guys early in the list of people I named were on the 2010 or 2011 teams.... but yeah as for the ones who weren't? Cline, Shawndre Jones, Kendall Anthony, for sure would be on there all time greats... Terry Allen, Gilyard & Golden likely also? Nelson-Ododa possibly (currently in the NBA G-League, while his sister is crushing it at UConn)?

Reactions: DisplacedRam

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
I always see a lot of love for Kendall Anthony on this site. It's for good reason but I think it's cool that VCU fans can appreciate a great player on our city rival. Of course it's easy to show respect after he's gone, but even when he was playing I read a lot of good comments about him on here. He was fun to watch when he wasn't playing VCU.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I always see a lot of love for Kendall Anthony on this site. It's for good reason but I think it's cool that VCU fans can appreciate a great player on our city rival. Of course it's easy to show respect after he's gone, but even when he was playing I read a lot of good comments about him on here. He was fun to watch when he wasn't playing VCU.
It's kinda like Bazemore at Fodu... hated watching him carve us up, and of course fans were glad when he was gone.. but the dude is a good dude. Even gave VCU fans a shout out during his Jersey retirement against VCU at the Ted.... and VCU fans showed him a lot of respect in return that night.

Other than when he used to kick our @$$... I never really heard anything bad about Kendall Anthony. Dude gave it his all 100% of the time.

There are some players... that fans legitimately hate. The rest of them, I think fans just hate them because of who they play for.

Jan 15, 2020
It's kinda like Bazemore at Fodu... hated watching him carve us up, and of course fans were glad when he was gone.. but the dude is a good dude. Even gave VCU fans a shout out during his Jersey retirement against VCU at the Ted.... and VCU fans showed him a lot of respect in return that night.

Other than when he used to kick our @$$... I never really heard anything bad about Kendall Anthony. Dude gave it his all 100% of the time.

There are some players... that fans legitimately hate. The rest of them, I think fans just hate them because of who they play for.
Yeah. Like I hated playing Janning. He loved going off against us. However he was a good dude. heck he even took it in good stride when maynor flattened him and stepped over him lol. There were some players I couldn’t stand. Like that guy at Hofstra I believe that then played at st joes. Truly UR and odu haven’t had too many unlike able players. Mason had a whole slew of them. Hard to believe so many players could get in trouble on a Coach L team. I think SLU tends to be the A10 team with the more obnoxious players. Though St Bonnies definitely is close.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

Kendall Anthony is probably one of my favorite non-VCU players. He was fun to watch...when he wasn't playing us.

Feb 14, 2011
HC. I am not going to miss him. But man, I though he was a better HC than this. I get the COVID. I get Sherrod and a key reserver out. However, this team was FN loaded. Loaded. Francis, Golden, Gilyard, Cato, and Burton can all BALL, plus they have not great but adequate bodies on their bench.

Many of our fans have stated, and now I agree, UR should consider firing Mooney. They gave this guy every chance to be successful and he wets the bed with his "Best Group Ever". This is shameful.
My wife is a very casual basketball fan, reads, does the twitter and FB thing, when live she watches the band, cheer leaders, the GRD's. That being said I'm pretty sure she knows/understands more about the game than many of our fan base. Or maybe just has less dumb thoughts and/or keeps them to herself. Anyway... Last night, I'm watching the Ticks game, her doing her normal head in a book thing, out of the blue she says "It's not a zone dumb-a$$.... So much wasted talent, If they would just play the game for 40 minutes, they would easily be a top 20 team, I can't ever remember the Spiders playing a complete game. No wonder they want to fire him." then she says "Oh, we want them to lose don't we?"

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
My wife is a very casual basketball fan, reads, does the twitter and FB thing, when live she watches the band, cheer leaders, the GRD's. That being said I'm pretty sure she knows/understands more about the game than many of our fan base. Or maybe just has less dumb thoughts and/or keeps them to herself. Anyway... Last night, I'm watching the Ticks game, her doing her normal head in a book thing, out of the blue she says "It's not a zone dumb-a$$.... So much wasted talent, If they would just play the game for 40 minutes, they would easily be a top 20 team, I can't ever remember the Spiders playing a complete game. No wonder they want to fire him." then she says "Oh, we want them to lose don't we?"
yep! this sounds very similar to the situation in my house, too!

Reactions: Ululating Daddy

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
Smart woman!

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
The bottom line is that in terms of a job in the A10, Richmond is clearly in the top half in terms of success, academics, fan support, facilities, etc. And this is for a school that’s in a Top 8 or 9 conference. In 16 seasons, making 2 NCAAs and 1 “probably should have made in NCAA” is not cutting it. Way too much underachieving, especially the 2015-2017 and now 2021 teams.