20-21 Opponent Tracking

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Congratulations to ODU for flaming out in the quarterfinals of the C-USA tournament and losing 61-55 to North Texas (are they top 100 this year? ūüėČ).

Enjoy watching VCU play for the Atlantic 10 Championship on CBS at 1 pm right before the Selection Show in which you will very likely watch VCU be selected to the NCAA Tournament win or lose.

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
The paradox being, if you're in the bubble neighborhood, any team opponents worth the risk are also probably likely to look at you as not worth the risk.

Maybe they just need to expand the First 4 concept to an entire at-large play-in round.
The problem is there really aren't many options left. Xavier's NET is worse than you want but they are a bubble team who were on a lot of last 4 in lists until last night. Saint Louis would need to go on the road but what other quad 1 opportunities are left for them?
I think the solution is playing a Neutral site game with teas projected in the first 8 out. It'd be a bracket buster-esque game. I'm a bit surprised ESPN or somebody didn't think of setting a neutral site tournament for this weekend for teams eliminated from their conference tournament but still hanging on by a thread for a bid.

Ramball

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Congratulations to ODU for flaming out in the quarterfinals of the C-USA tournament and losing 61-55 to North Texas (are they top 100 this year? ūüėČ).

Enjoy watching VCU play for the Atlantic 10 Championship on CBS at 1 pm right before the Selection Show in which you will very likely watch VCU be selected to the NCAA Tournament win or lose.

ODU will always be #1 hated rival.

Reactions: districtballer

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017

Why yes, yes they are!
Slotted a few spots above ‚ÄúUniversity of Richmond, a wholly owned subsidiary of Virginia Commonwealth University‚ÄĚ.
Nice.
CBC2EB25-4461-405C-AF34-40F40813149D.jpeg

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Why yes, yes they are!
Slotted a few spots above ‚ÄúUniversity of Richmond, a wholly owned subsidiary of Virginia Commonwealth University‚ÄĚ.
Nice.
Darn, when I fell asleep last night ODU had the lead. I thought they had a shot to get the auto-bid but I guess ODU had to ODU.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Out of Conference Opponents
Utah State*- (20-7) (Crossover Classic)
#15 West Virginia*- (19-8) (Crossover Classic)
Memphis*- (17-6) (Crossover Classic)
@ Penn State (11-14)
Mount St. Mary's- (12-10)
North Carolina A&T- (11-10)
Old Dominion (15-8)
Western Carolina (11-16)
James Madison (13-7)

Conference Opponents
@ Saint Joseph's (5-15) (3-9 in A-10)
Davidson x2 (13-8) (7-4 in A-10)
George Mason x2 (13-9) (8-6 in A-10)
Rhode Island x2 (10-15) (7-10 in A-10)
@ George Washington (5-12) (3-5 in A-10)
Richmond x2 (13-8) (6-5 in A-10)
Dayton x2 (14-9) (9-7 in A-10)
UMass (8-7) (6-4 in A-10)
La Salle (9-16) (6-11 in A-10)
@ Duquesne (9-9) (7-7 in A-10)
Fordham (2-12) (2-11 in A-10)
@ St. Bonaventure (15-4) (11-4 in A-10)
Saint Louis (14-6) (6-4 in A-10)

Non Conference Opponent Record: 129-85
Conference Opponent Record: 131-131 (81-86 in conference play)
Combined Overall Record: 260-216

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Friday March 12th

MEAC Tournament- Semifinal

Norfolk State advances uncontested over North Carolina A&T

American Tournament- Quarterfinal
Memphis defeats UCF- 70-62

Mountain West Tournament- Semifinal
Utah State defeats Colorado State- 62-50

other Bubble games
Cincinnati vs SMU (11-4, 7-4 American, Next Four Out)- 3 PM (ESPN2)
Georgetown vs Seton Hall (14-12, 10-9 Big East, First Four Out)- 6 PM (Fox Sports 1)
Ole Miss (16-10, 10-8 SEC, First Four Out) vs LSU- 9 PM (SEC Network)

Not a bubble game... but a very good game to watch
#13 Texas vs #11 Kansas- 9:30 PM (ESPN2)

Last edited:
Reactions: DisplacedRam

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Maybe we should make UNT our yearly C-USA opponent instead of ODU
Why? So we can hear people moan and groan every time we play them because they're like VCU in the fact they shoot lights out from 3 & play hard nose defense... kinda similar to VCU's Final 4 team.

I mean last year we beat them by 3 at home, 2nd game of the season & everyone was going crazy that the game was so close... & I told people...

that North Texas team honestly reminded me of a VCU team back from our CAA Days.... A Team that obviously felt like an underdog against a quality opponent, a team that can certainly shoot the ball well from everywhere on the court just about.... and a team that played really tough defense.

I would not be shocked if they somehow make a run through C-USA & make the tourney.

And people were like... No chance, they're a mediocre team, if they make a run through the C-USA.. that does not bode well for that conference.... and guess what happened? They won the conference regular season title outright. Now they never got to do their conference tournament... so who knows if they woulda made the big dance... but SO MANY people were freaking out because we only beat them by 3.... when in fact they were a REALLY good team.

zackry93

Top Member
Insider
Mar 14, 2016
Why? So we can hear people moan and groan every time we play them because they're like VCU in the fact they shoot lights out from 3 & play hard nose defense... kinda similar to VCU's Final 4 team.

I mean last year we beat them by 3 at home, 2nd game of the season & everyone was going crazy that the game was so close... & I told people...

And people were like... No chance, they're a mediocre team, if they make a run through the C-USA.. that does not bode well for that conference.... and guess what happened? They won the conference regular season title outright. Now they never got to do their conference tournament... so who knows if they woulda made the big dance... but SO MANY people were freaking out because we only beat them by 3.... when in fact they were a REALLY good team.
It was a joke because they are higher rated than odu

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
The problem is there really aren't many options left. Xavier's NET is worse than you want but they are a bubble team who were on a lot of last 4 in lists until last night. Saint Louis would need to go on the road but what other quad 1 opportunities are left for them?
It really doesn't make sense for either team. If they were BOTH below 50 in the net, then maybe they could find a neutral court and one of them could pick up a Q1 win. But, the problem is that Xavier is 60 in the NET right now. So, you'd think then that the game should be at Xavier. However, that's only good for SLU because they're at 45 NET. If Xavier were to win at home, it's only a Q2 win, which doesn't help them enough other than maybe for the NIT.