20-21 Opponent Tracking

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
Almost all the high schools in Chesterfield and Henrico have JV and varsity lacrosse for boys and girls. On the boys' side, it has become a popular alternative to football - generally the kids who wouldn't be starters on the gridrion. The sport is overwhelmingly white. On girls side, lax competes with soccer and field hockey for players - virtually same demographics for all three sports.
It is a pretty cool sport. My daughter plays field hockey and then started playing Lax in high school locally. Boys and girls games are different. Lost of contact in boys, not so much in girls. I must say that it takes a while to grasp the rules.

Reactions: Ululating Daddy

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Almost all the high schools in Chesterfield and Henrico have JV and varsity lacrosse for boys and girls. On the boys' side, it has become a popular alternative to football - generally the kids who wouldn't be starters on the gridrion. The sport is overwhelmingly white. On girls side, lax competes with soccer and field hockey for players - virtually same demographics for all three sports.
It was started by the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) and is still played by them. Want to see some tough, fast lacrosse go up to Onondaga, NY and catch an indoor tourney. Of course that lacrosse is not overwhelmingly white, nor has the sport always been. Football player Jim Brown also played lacrosse at Syracuse and was an all time great, for example. When centers for the sport moved south out of upstate NY to Maryland, they lost some of the Haudenosaunee influence. Too bad, they still play it best, after all it literally is a religious act for them.

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
It was started by the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) and is still played by them. Want to see some tough, fast lacrosse go up to Onondaga, NY and catch an indoor tourney. Of course that lacrosse is not overwhelmingly white, nor has the sport always been. Football player Jim Brown also played lacrosse at Syracuse and was an all time great, for example. When centers for the sport moved south out of upstate NY to Maryland, they lost some of the Haudenosaunee influence. Too bad, they still play it best, after all it literally is a religious act for them.
A friend of mine who is Ojibwe has been very active in promoting a revival of traditional lacrosse among Native youth up here in the upper Midwest.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks in part to the failed US Men's Soccer program...
US Men’s soccer has more young talented players playing in the top leagues throughout the world than ever, we’ve got guys starting for the major clubs of the world and playing big roles in Champions League knock out games. That level of success was a pipe dream just 10-15 years ago. Yes, missing the 2018 WC was a blow—but it happens to some of the best, as Italy and Holland also missed that year. It had a lot more to do with management dysfunction and poor handling of generational transition than any talent issues.

Lacrosse is a great sport but if you actually look at what’s driving it’s growth, it’s not draining talent from the soccer ranks—-very, very different level of athletes.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
We have an off topic forum for that boys.

Does anybody know how, when I click a new thread, how I can get first unread post instead of very first post?

zackry93

Top Member
Insider
Mar 14, 2016
We have an off topic forum for that boys.

Does anybody know how, when I click a new thread, how I can get first unread post instead of very first post?
Usually for me it does it automatically but if not there a button at the top-right that says jump to new right next to the watch thread button when there's a new post.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM