20-21 Opponent Tracking

sjhawk13

Top Member
Feb 6, 2014
Positive test found Saturday night. Yes, I blame Gonzaga. I blame whoever let the games go on on Sunday. That never should have happened.

Just to note: Seton Hall backed out Saturday afternoon, before Saturday night's test results, so Willard is still a wuss.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Is Mooney all of a sudden a great coach, or has he been fortunate to recruit some decent talent?
I think it’s just a case of being able to use “the formula” that traditionally has been necessary to take a scalp from a Power 5/6 conference team- wait until you’ve got a very very old and experienced squad taking on a much younger power conference team. That’s what is very exciting about our young team this year. They seem so precocious.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Most teams in the top third of the A-10 could have beaten Kentucky today. They looked horrible. No way they were the 10th best team in the country. Kentucky was 20-33 from the free throw line. That right there will cost you most games. That and turning the ball over 21 times.

I might believe in fur after I see how they do against WVU December 13th.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 25, 2011
I hate the Spiders as much as anyone on this board but darn it was fun watching them knock off Kentucky today. Richmond's glaring problem is their lack of depth. Already down a starter for the season they can ill afford any injuries at all. Fouls will also eventually bite them in a close game as well. They had two players outside of their starting 5 score today for a combined 10 points. I sincerely wish them well OOC but good luck with their recipe over an entire season. Injuries and pain are part of the game. They won't be immune to them.

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
We have enough big guys to stop Golden. I think our guards can handle and/or hold their own against their guards. Will need to stop Cayo and Burton.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

onelasttime

Top Member
Insider
Mar 12, 2016
I hate the Spiders as much as anyone on this board but darn it was fun watching them knock off Kentucky today. Richmond's glaring problem is their lack of depth. Already down a starter for the season they can ill afford any injuries at all. Fouls will also eventually bite them in a close game as well. They had two players outside of their starting 5 score today for a combined 10 points. I sincerely wish them well OOC but good luck with their recipe over an entire season. Injuries and pain are part of the game. They won't be immune to them.
Richmond is family business for us, and that means rooting for them when they're OOC underdogs.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Next year everyone is back because this year doesn't count against eligibility.
Do you really think ALL of his seniors will forego a chance to play professionally?

Golden, Francis, and Sherod are in their fifth year of school so I imagine that they are receiving a masters degree.

Not to mention - the shelf life of a professional athlete is short. Gotta make that money when you can.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Richmond is a better team than Kentucky right now. Simple as that. SLU gets LSU. UR gets Kentucky. Time for VCU go get a Big 10 scalp. Not the same but still would be good.
Exactly right about UR and Kentucky. For as much turnover as Kentucky seems to have every year, the time to get them is early. Credit the Spiders, they got an opportunity with arguably their best team in a decade, and they took advantage of it.

One of the lasting images for me was seeing Cal, during a 2nd half stoppage in play, on the court trying to teach his PG how to make a post entry pass. That’s all you need to know about where Kentucky is right now. Kentucky will have more NBA players than UR will from the respective teams, but this was an example of experience beating raw talent.

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
Most teams in the top third of the A-10 could have beaten Kentucky today. They looked horrible. No way they were the 10th best team in the country. Kentucky was 20-33 from the free throw line. That right there will cost you most games. That and turning the ball over 21 times.

I might believe in fur after I see how they do against WVU December 13th.
And 0-10 from 3 point land. They were pathetic. Look forward to the WVU vs Fur game.

looking at the ticks schedule, they play FUR. You can’t make this stuff up. 2020!

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Is Mooney all of a sudden a great coach, or has he been fortunate to recruit some decent talent?
He was never a bad coach. He had some tough luck with injuries and transfers, but he has to do what 330 or so D1 coaches must do: recruit and develop. The guts of this UR team is the same one that went 13-20 (6-12 in A10) two seasons ago. The players developed and got better; they added Francis, who sat out that season as a transfer. Plus, Mooney switched from his beloved matchup zone to a man-to-man defense. That’s all pretty good coaching.