20-21 Opponent Tracking

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Most teams in the top third of the A-10 could have beaten Kentucky today. They looked horrible. No way they were the 10th best team in the country. Kentucky was 20-33 from the free throw line. That right there will cost you most games. That and turning the ball over 21 times.

I might believe in fur after I see how they do against WVU December 13th.
UR is really good, but you’re right: Kentucky was awful. They’ve got, what, 8 or 9 freshmen. UR is the perfect blend of experience and style to beat Kentucky early in the season. That’s why this is a big win for UR, just as our win against Memphis was big. Kentucky and Memphis are both NCAA Tournament teams. That’s what has been so frustrating about VCU over the years: more often than not, letting opportunities to get quality early season wins slide by us.

UR can beat WVU, but I think, and thought before today’s game, that they had a better chance to beat Kentucky. WVU has four freshmen on the roster. They combined for 8 minutes of playing time against us. WVU is experienced and huge. They will be much more physical than Kentucky was today. WVU will bump Richmond off their sets, which is something Kentucky rarely did. UR missed a lot of open looks today and got most of what they wanted. West Virginia won’t allow that to happen. Regardless, for both UR and for us, playing WVU is good practice for playing SLU.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Out of Conference Opponents
Utah Sate*- (1-2) (Crossover Classic)
#15 West Virginia*- (3-0) (Crossover Classic)
Memphis*- (1-2) (Crossover Classic)
@ Penn State (1-0)
Mt. St. Mary's- (1-2)
North Carolina A&T- (1-2)
Old Dominion (1-1)
Western Carolina (3-1)
Louisiana-Lafayette (0-1)
@ LSU (2-1)

Conference Opponents
@ Saint Joseph's (0-2) (0-0 in A-10)
Davidson x2 (1-1) (0-0 in A-10)
George Mason x2 (2-1) (0-0 in A-10)
Rhode Island x2 (2-2) (0-0 in A-10)
@ George Washington (0-1) (0-0 in A-10)
Richmond x2 (2-0) (0-0 in A-10)
Dayton x2 (0-0) (0-0 in A-10)
UMass (0-0) (0-0 in A-10)
La Salle (0-2) (0-0 in A-10)
@ Duquesne (0-1) (0-0 in A-10)
Fordham (0-0) (0-0 in A-10)
@ St. Bonaventure (0-0) (0-0 in A-10)
Saint Louis (2-0) (0-0 in A-10)

Non Conference Opponent Record: 14-12
Conference Opponent Record: 9-10 (0-0 in conference play)
Combined Overall Record: 23-22

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Monday November 30th
Western Carolina defeats Piedmont- 96-58
#17 Texas defeats Davidson- 78-76
Little Rock defeats Duquesne- 76-66
LSU defeats SE Louisiana- 96-43

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
I'm not buying the Richmond hype.
How come? They just handily beat a Kentucky full of 5 star recruits at Rupp. They looked great in doing so. Not sure if you watched the game but they were clearly the better team. They pass the eye test. Experienced and play extremely well as a team. They have defensive/athleticism holes for sure but their offense is run very well. Also they did this without Sherod.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
While I just can't bring myself to root for Richmond, if they do live up to their billing (still not sold on that - Kentucky looked absolutely lost out there) it will be nice to not have an absolute land mine on our schedule with them. For the majority of Mooney's tenure, a win against them does little to help boost our profile and many years has the potential to be a bad loss. Anything can happen in a rivalry game like that so it would be nice if, for once, a hard fought win in red sweater land actually paid some dividends for us.

Reactions: RamStrut

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I am a bit torn. I never like to see UR win anything and certainly not against a major named team like Kentucky. But on the flip side I am overjoyed by a KY loss and the misery of all their fans who believe that any school outside of a P5 program AND not in the top ten (even someone like Gonzaga) is so far beneath them when it comes to basketball. Sort of like the Jayhawk fan wearing the bird costume in the final four who was crying when we beat them....that type of misery....LOL.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
How come? They just handily beat a Kentucky full of 5 star recruits at Rupp. They looked great in doing so. Not sure if you watched the game but they were clearly the better team. They pass the eye test. Experienced and play extremely well as a team. They have defensive/athleticism holes for sure but their offense is run very well. Also they did this without Sherod.
I didn't watch, but a couple thoughts based on the box score. 0/10 from 3, 20/33 from FT and 21 TOs isn't all from Richmond's defense. 21 matches their high from last year against a hapless st. Joe's, and 3% and fts are the two stats least impacted by an opponent, or put another way, Kentucky's offense has some serious flaws.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
UR is really good, but you’re right: Kentucky was awful. They’ve got, what, 8 or 9 freshmen. UR is the perfect blend of experience and style to beat Kentucky early in the season. That’s why this is a big win for UR, just as our win against Memphis was big. Kentucky and Memphis are both NCAA Tournament teams. That’s what has been so frustrating about VCU over the years: more often than not, letting opportunities to get quality early season wins slide by us.

UR can beat WVU, but I think, and thought before today’s game, that they had a better chance to beat Kentucky. WVU has four freshmen on the roster. They combined for 8 minutes of playing time against us. WVU is experienced and huge. They will be much more physical than Kentucky was today. WVU will bump Richmond off their sets, which is something Kentucky rarely did. UR missed a lot of open looks today and got most of what they wanted. West Virginia won’t allow that to happen. Regardless, for both UR and for us, playing WVU is good practice for playing SLU.
UR is finally loaded. I think they would have beaten WVU . Mainly because they can shoot it, and they can rebound, and defend the post. Make no mistake this is the year of the tick.

Unfortunately.

Good news is they are a rival and all the talent goes out of the window when rivals play. Remember they clipped us once when we were ranked and they were horrible.

Good win for the conference, and glad to see any and all A10 teams do well in OOC play. In conference well that is yet another story.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
A senior pg Gilyard vs. a freshman pg Baldwin will be tough but man I love Ace and believe he can win that matchup.
Now that is belief. Gilyard is a baller and a Senior. That little dude has been a thorn in our side for 3 years. I love Ace's potential and truly believe that he will earn his place as a worthy VCU pg.

However, expecting him to win a matchup against this guy, this year is a tall order. A very tall order.

Reactions: Aries

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
I didn't watch, but a couple thoughts based on the box score. 0/10 from 3, 20/33 from FT and 21 TOs isn't all from Richmond's defense. 21 matches their high from last year against a hapless st. Joe's, and 3% and fts are the two stats least impacted by an opponent, or put another way, Kentucky's offense has some serious flaws.
Very true points but I just from the eye test, they looked really good.

Reactions: rammad90

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
UR is finally loaded. I think they would have beaten WVU . Mainly because they can shoot it, and they can rebound, and defend the post. Make no mistake this is the year of the tick.

Unfortunately.

Good news is they are a rival and all the talent goes out of the window when rivals play. Remember they clipped us once when we were ranked and they were horrible.

Good win for the conference, and glad to see any and all A10 teams do well in OOC play. In conference well that is yet another story.
Richmond plays West Virginia in Morgantown in a couple of weeks, so we shall see.

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp