20-21 Opponent Tracking

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Gilyard and Francis give them a good shot. It will depend on whether they are shooting well in that one. West Virginia will try to bully them down low. In my opinion it will not be much of a point spread by Vegas.
I agree. Richmond certainly has a better than average chance to win in Morgantown; they are a legit top 30 team. However, I thought that getting Kentucky in November, with all of those freshmen, offered a better chance to win than at West Virginia in December with all of those EXPERIENCED athletes. West Virginia appears to be a legit top 15 team who plays physical defense.

Reactions: IstanbulRam

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
He was never a bad coach. He had some tough luck with injuries and transfers, but he has to do what 330 or so D1 coaches must do: recruit and develop. The guts of this UR team is the same one that went 13-20 (6-12 in A10) two seasons ago. The players developed and got better; they added Francis, who sat out that season as a transfer. Plus, Mooney switched from his beloved matchup zone to a man-to-man defense. That’s all pretty good coaching.
Mooney is a skilled offensive coach. His teams rarely play good defense (we'll see about this year) and he never recruits for depth -- a "falling" common to other coaches who don't use an "army" approach. He's got his best UR team this year, appears to have hit on several unheralded recruits, and is making the most of it.

I was impressed that he was flexible enough to set his preferences to match the circumstances, which is something good coaches do.

Apr 20, 2009
Every time there's a collision of bodies under the DC defensive basket it's a foul on DC. On the other end its always a walking violation. Hmmm

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Big fan of Cyber Monday afternoon hoops....let’s see what HoF coach McKillop comes up with for the final sequence.....i’m thinking Lee for three

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Big fan of Cyber Monday afternoon hoops....let’s see what HoF coach McKillop comes up with for the final sequence.....i’m thinking Lee for three

So wrong on my part—went with the Kiwi

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
DC has gone to a unique defense. They're trying to keep Texas from scoring by seeing if the rim will block the shot when they go in for dunks. It hasn't been working.

The is the basketball equivalent of the "Rocky" strategy. Blocking punches with your face. Except it works in the movies.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
DC has gone to a unique defense. They're trying to keep Texas from scoring by seeing if the rim will block the shot when they go in for dunks. It hasn't been working.
Texas has the kind of team that should attack and rim run. Have the guards go to the glass and drop it off or up near the rim for a big, or get fouled. They almost lost that game because they chased 3s 3s (they shot 28). From my first look at Texas I think Shaka has a very good squad this year. Helps to have experienced guard play and so many agile big men.

Last edited: