20-21 Opponent Tracking

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
If I'm an NBA team and I can choose between Jalen Crutcher at Dayton or Fatts Russell from URI, I'm taking Crutcher every time.
Crutcher was the “seldom sung”!hero of that team. On multiple occasions he made Toppin’s star shine. He was Toppins, Scotty Pippen (and please don’t infer I’m saying Toppin is anywhere near MJ. Not Even Close) but together they made a formidable pair.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Fatts is delusional, he better be content with buying a ticket....that is the only NBA he’ll ever see. Nice skills, but size, pitiful defense and low on court IQ.....pass!
Plus, Jeff Dowtin took some of the pressure off of Fatts. Fatts won't have Dowtin beside him next year. He's about to see a lot more pressure next year.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Fatts is delusional, he better be content with buying a ticket....that is the only NBA he’ll ever see. Nice skills, but size, pitiful defense and low on court IQ.....pass!
I would disagree on both ...he single handedly destroyed us on the defensive end in both games.

Reactions: Celticguy

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
So I wonder how it would work? There's 14 teams... so that's 13 opponents with 7 opponents twice?

Or would they do something where we play like 13 games (every team once).... and the the last 7 games... The Top 7 do a round robin or something.... as do the bottom 7?
CUSA does something similar where you play everyone once except for your travel partner, which you play twice. Then they separate into pods of the top five, middle five and bottom four, and you play everyone in your pod once (if you're in the bottom pod, you play someone a second time as well). You can't finish ahead of a team that's in the pod ahead of you (so if Team A was in the top pod but lost all of its pod play games, it can't finish lower than fifth, even if Team B in the middle pod ended up with a better conference record). The idea is that you stand a better chance at NCAA and NIT consideration if you finish the season with four games against good teams instead of perhaps two good and two bad teams. But it's CUSA, so it hasn't paid off for them yet. That said, I think it's a valid scheduling exploit at a time when non-power conferences are losing power and standing with every season.

Top 7/bottom 7 would only give you 19 games, though. You could add a second game against a pod opponent, but you'd have to have two teams play a crossover pod game to give everyone the same number of games. So say the teams that finish the first part of the season in seventh (bottom of the top pod) and eighth (top of the bottom pod) play each other, while you have something like 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 5 and 3 vs. 6 as the second game).

It's somewhat complicated but doable if they wanted to , and it certainly isn't going to hurt a bubble team's resume unless they crap out in which case they weren't getting an at-large anyway.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk
Dec 16, 2013
make it 19 games and have two 7 team divisions (based upon some arbitrary geography east/west or north/south e.g.)
in your division you play 6 teams twice (12) and then you play one game against each team in the other division (7)
but IMHO teams have a tendency to set up their OoC schedules based upon how good they think they are and secondly who they can get to play in P5 world and where
A10 top 6 still have problems playing too many A10 teams that hurt their ratings in whatever is used
if I had Bernadette's platform I would be pushing toward only 8 teams playing in conference tournament in hopes of incentivizing poorer programs to get better or LEAVE (of course you are not going to say leave but honestly a program like Fordham is better served in Patriot conference and I am sure there maybe other good matches for the lower tier schools both geographically and competitively
Go Rams

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
make it 19 games and have two 7 team divisions (based upon some arbitrary geography east/west or north/south e.g.)
in your division you play 6 teams twice (12) and then you play one game against each team in the other division (7)
but IMHO teams have a tendency to set up their OoC schedules based upon how good they think they are and secondly who they can get to play in P5 world and where
A10 top 6 still have problems playing too many A10 teams that hurt their ratings in whatever is used
if I had Bernadette's platform I would be pushing toward only 8 teams playing in conference tournament in hopes of incentivizing poorer programs to get better or LEAVE (of course you are not going to say leave but honestly a program like Fordham is better served in Patriot conference and I am sure there maybe other good matches for the lower tier schools both geographically and competitively
Go Rams
Which woulda meant if that was in effect this year.... we woulda missed out of A10 Tourney.... and the problem I see with that is... What if VCU has another rough year? What if Dayton Has a rough year? Or any of the other teams in the A10 that have well traveling fanbases..... now they will lose out on that money for the conference tourney.... which I don't see them doing. Plus imagine not having the Peppas, Green Machine or the Flyers band at the A10 tourney...... what entertainment would their really be in going if your team isn't there?

Obviously teams like Dayton & VCU would not likely finish out of the Top 8 often.... but when you're renting out Barclays for your event.... you're going to want as many fans as possible there. Not like the A10 Tournament is being held at one of the members arenas.