2014 MLB Season

Well, since basketball is now over for us (screw the rest of the teams), and since baseball as actually started Down Under, we may as well move on from the long, arduous offseason. I for one am glad to see it end.

How do you feel about your team's offseason and outlook for 2014?

For those that frequented the Offseason thread it seems that:
  • The Phillies will be an interesting team this year. They're not really the front runners in their division, but w/ a few breaks, the NL East could really be wide open. The Phils will just have to take care of things on their own at Senior Citizens Bank Park.
  • The Braves have a band-aid over their rotation right now. They locked up every young star they have, but how long will the offense be able to save the pitching staff and keep the bullpen from burning out before some starters return from the DL?
  • The Cards look good to repeat as NL Central champs. I think the Pirates and Reds will have some drop-off, and they get 19 games against the Cubs.
  • The Nats made what many "experts" are calling the best trade of the offseason, moving Steve Lombardozzi and a couple scrubs for Doug Fister. Now that the Tigers traded Lombardozzi for Alex Gonzalez, it looks even worse for Detroit. Other than that trade, though, I'm not sure what else the Nats have done, especially to upgrade their weak offense from last year.
  • The O's offseason started off pretty well, signing a solid reliever and then trading for a candidate for last year's AL ROY (even though he's 28). Then, they did absolutely nothing until Spring Training started. Now with a wild card in the rotation and a PED user at DH, the team is at least improved from last year's opening day roster. Being in the AL East with the reigning WS champs, an improved Yankees squad, and the Rays, it's still going to be a tough road for the Birds.
That's all I got, feel free to add to your team's top-notch analysis above and even throw in some predictions if you want.

I'm going to say the playoffs will include:
AL
Baltimore (total homer pick)
Detroit
Texas
Kansas City (WC)
Boston (WC)

NL
Atlanta
St. Louis
Los Angeles
Arizona (WC)
Nationals (WC)

Judging by my NCAA brackets, it is more likely that none of these teams will finish with winning records.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Playoffs

AL
Red Sox (as much as it pains me to pick em)
Tigers
Rangers
Yankees (WC)
Athletics/Angels (WC)

NL
Braves
Cards (sick of seeing them in the play offs... sorry cards fans)
Dodgers
Pirates
Dbacks / Nats

Most of my Elite 8 & all of my final 4 in my ncaa brackets are still alive.... so lets see how these picks pan out.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
This srping has KILLED most of my optimism regarding the Phils.
Hamels more than a little dinged up
Cuban hurler MAG has been, just....awful!!! 2.2 innings 16+ ERA 3 years and 12 million...yaaaay
Sandberg/JRoll drama embarrassing
The Ben Wetzler Affair....again, embarrassing
Darin Ruf...injured
Freddy Galvis....MRSA
Howard leading the spring Phills with 20 SO's in 50 AB's
Worst Record in Spring Training

some good??? Revere, Byrd, and T Gwynn jr lookin' good. Chooch looks ready. We have the 3rd easiest schedule in all of baseball. There will always be Hope from me and I will never stop caring about the Phils

As a Ranger fan I am not as optimistic as I was 2 months ago. There will only be one projected starting pitcher ready for opening day, and that is Martin Perez who is still a kid. Add in injuries to Profar, Soto (not huge lose offensively, but a good rapport with pitching staff), and nagging injuries to Andrus, Choo, Beltre, and Moreland already its a tough start . Pitching is bleak at least for the first couple of months.

Katie.jpeg

oh well GO TRIBE!

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Ryan Howard WALKS in his first AB of 2014 AND scores on a Cody Asche double!!!!!!

This is ABSOLUTELY a harbringer of great things to come for the Phillies!!!!!!!

Opening Day!!!!!!

I will of course refer back to this post as being prophecy or the maniacal ravings of a lunatic.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Ryan Howard WALKS in his first AB of 2014 AND scores on a Cody Asche double!!!!!!

This is ABSOLUTELY a harbringer of great things to come for the Phillies!!!!!!!

Opening Day!!!!!!

I will of course refer back to this post as being prophecy or the maniacal ravings of a lunatic.

Don't forget Rollins Slammy

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
yea....that was 10 minutes later......but then Cliff Lee imploded and I wanted to see how it played out.

undefeated!!!!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
yea....that was 10 minutes later......but then Cliff Lee imploded and I wanted to see how it played out.

undefeated!!!!

Yeah I didn't get to watch my Bravos play... but we lost 2-0. Teheran pitched fairly well from what I could see.... oh well only 1 game... got 161 more to go.

VCU Alum Ian Thomas came in & pitched 1/3 of an inning & gave up 1 hit

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Interesting stat regarding Grand Slams.... Since the beginning of 08.... 348 different players have hit a Grand Slam in a Major League game game.

2008- 118 regular season Slams, 2 Post Season Slams
2009- 127 Regular season Slams
2010- 123 Regular season Slams
2011- 96 Regular season Slams, 4 Post season Slams
2012- 92 Regular season Slams, 1 Post season Slam
2013- 88 Regular season Slams, 2 Post season Slams
2014- 1 Regular season slam (and counting)

Slam Leaders By Season since 08

2008- Alexei Ramirez (4).... no one else had more than 2
2009- Albert Pujols (5), Cody Ross (3), Hanley Ramirez (3), Matt Kemp (3), Ryan Howard (3)
2010- Adrian Gonzalez (3), A-Rod (3), Yunesky Betantcourt (3)
2011- Robinson Cano (4)
2012- Nick Swisher (3)
2013- Mike Napoli (3)

Most Slams Combined since 08 (including Rollins Slam on Monday)

9- Robinson Cano
8- Alex Rodriguez
6- Pujols, McCann, Carlos Lee, Kemp, Napoli, Nelson Cruz, Swisher, Ibanez, Ryan Howard
5- Alexi Ramirez, Zobrist, Ortiz, E. Renteria, E. Encarnacion, Morneau, Kubel

Was able to go up to B'more for opening day. Awesome day and game. Glad the O's got the win, but I hope that was just some early season nerves going on. Only 5 innings from our "ace" and Jim Johnson like save were very nerve racking.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Was able to go up to B'more for opening day. Awesome day and game. Glad the O's got the win, but I hope that was just some early season nerves going on. Only 5 innings from our "ace" and Jim Johnson like save were very nerve racking.

im going up to see a Yanks-O's game at Camden this summer. Also going to see my Braves at Nats park this summer too

I think Tillman will be alright. First time being in that 'ace' roll, really. I don't think Hunter will be the closer all season long. I think that he kind of just got...thrown out there.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Well I wasn't sure how Harang would do with us.... But 6 2/3, 2 hits, 1 walk, 3 Ks, 0 Earned Runs, 0 Runs.... I will take that all day every day from him.

Glad to see my Bravos rebounded after their loss in the opener with 2 Wins