2018-19 Season

BigE

Elite Member
DrXWSXJXQAA5RF1.jpg

I saw a lot of maturity tonight with Archie. The Rams played well. They were more relaxed and confident. I liked what i saw

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I saw a lot of maturity tonight with Archie. The Rams played well. They were more relaxed and confident. I liked what i saw

Very glad to hear this! Wish I coulda watched them play.... fricking schedule had to put a close away game on the same night as a VCU Home game.

Oh Well.... I'll be there bright & early on Friday.

Ramlove81

Elite Member

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Thanks for posting, they looked pretty good for the most part. Defense is solid, several players can score, sharing the ball pretty well.

Yeah, how bout Sydnei going 7-7 from the field.... Madison 8-8 from the line.... and the team as a whole was 19-22 from the FT line.

Can't wait to see them play live Friday morning.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Yeah, how bout Sydnei going 7-7 from the field.... Madison 8-8 from the line.... and the team as a whole was 19-22 from the FT line.

Can't wait to see them play live Friday morning.
Wish I could make it down tomorrow. I have a commitment Friday night and it would be really hard to make it back in time. Sydnei looked great and the whole team shot great from the line. I loved their aggressiveness on offense, attacking the rim and not settling for threes. Even when the shot clock was running down they found a way to get to the rim. Also, this team has a lot of depth. Still young and that showed some, but I'm excited from what I saw vs W&M.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Anyone see the UNC game. Looked like we were competitive by the box score. Too many turnovers, out rebounded them by 1, left a few points at the free throw line and didn't shoot terribly well, but neither did UNC. Turnovers looked like the big difference. Not sure how good UNC is this year. The program has gone down a bit now that their players have to go to actual classes :lol:, but it was a step up in competition for us this year anyway.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Anyone see the UNC game. Looked like we were competitive by the box score. Too many turnovers, out rebounded them by 1, left a few points at the free throw line and didn't shoot terribly well, but neither did UNC. Turnovers looked like the big difference. Not sure how good UNC is this year. The program has gone down a bit now that their players have to go to actual classes :lol:, but it was a step up in competition for us this year anyway.

Defense played really well first half.... Both teams struggled early on offense. 3rd quarter killed us as we got held to 4 points the entire quarter and our defense took a hit because of it.... In the 4th quarter we made a little bit of a run, but it was just too much to overcome.

Offense was our issue yesterday. Early on we got a lot of open looks, but they weren't dropping, and we had a lot of missed layups that did not result in fouls..... gotta go up stronger & finish those better or at least draw the fouls.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Defense played really well first half.... Both teams struggled early on offense. 3rd quarter killed us as we got held to 4 points the entire quarter and our defense took a hit because of it.... In the 4th quarter we made a little bit of a run, but it was just too much to overcome.

Offense was our issue yesterday. Early on we got a lot of open looks, but they weren't dropping, and we had a lot of missed layups that did not result in fouls..... gotta go up stronger & finish those better or at least draw the fouls.
Not going for moral victories, but it is encouraging that we made a decent showing with a P5 team on their court. Take away the 3rd Q and we won the game. Gotta not have quarters like that.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Not going for moral victories, but it is encouraging that we made a decent showing with a P5 team on their court. Take away the 3rd Q and we won the game. Gotta not have quarters like that.

Not to be too technical but even taking away that 3rd qtr we woulda been tied with UNC.... but I get what you mean. Even in that first half when our defense was playing really well... our offense was struggling... fortunately for us at the time. so was theirs until they started to get it going in the last little bit of the 2nd quarter.

But hey, it's a drastic improvement from where we were after 3 games last year.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
The second half of Wake Forest game may have been a coming out party for this team. It has been a long time since I've seen a VCU team, men or women, dominate a pretty decent opponent like that. Niya and Taya were fantastic and I think Malashka played herself into the regular rotation with some great defense, rebounding a a few big baskets. Hammond also played really well.
If we carry that kind of defensive intensity and the offense feeding off of it into the rest of the season this team will make some noise.

They struggled (both teams did) to get started in tonight’s game but they are playing amazing defense so far in the 1st half. If they cut the turnovers off, they’d be solid.