2018-19 Season

Our Defense is solid! Got a good test coming up Sunday. Really need to cut down on Turnovers and Hit some outside shots, or we'll be seeing a zone for the rest of the season. Great Team Win Last Night!!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Our Defense is solid! Got a good test coming up Sunday. Really need to cut down on Turnovers and Hit some outside shots, or we'll be seeing a zone for the rest of the season. Great Team Win Last Night!!

Agreed... We are currently 5-2, 1st in the A-10.... and realistically we could be 7-0. No, I was never expecting us to go undefeated... and unless you are ND, UConn, Baylor or South Carolina... the odds are you won't go undefeated.

But realistically, if you look at the 2 games we lost..... North Carolina.... early on our defense was really really good.... but towards the end of the 2nd quarter & pretty much all of the 3rd quarter of that game.... our defense took a hit, mainly because our offense was totally non existent in that time. And then IUPUI.... it was a back and forth game.... they went on a run, we went on a run and so on. And down the stretch from what I could see.... we turned the ball over & couldn't get shots to fall.... and ultimately lost a close one again to IUPUI (lost to them 3 times in the last 4 years.... all close games).

Both of those games were winnable. Fortunately last night we were able to get the W after early in the game the offense was struggling.

Biggest thing offensively is we gotta play more controlled but confident..... and honestly I think early on we've gotta get players like Danielle & Sofya going down low to help open up the perimeter for players like Taya, Sydnei, Jailyn, Tera, and such. Also, I've noticed a little bit that Tera at times doesn't seem as confident about trying to drive to the basket as last year when she was our main offensive threat for most of the season. We all know she can do it, but it seems like she's hesitating at times. Not sure if it's just that her shots aren't dropping or what.... but She's another one I think we need to get the ball too early & get her going.

If we can get Tera (who can drive to the rim, or shoot a jumper), Danielle & Sofya going early in games.... that will force the opposing defense to have to guard them more which will open up more space on the perimeter for players Nyra, Taya, Sydnei, Jailyn & such.

Also, after watching some games this year, if Kseniya is going to shoot 3's.... at this point, she's much better suited for catch & shoot instead of having to dribbling into a shot.

All in all, we are much healthier & much improved from last year..... and I can't wait to see what the rest of the year is like.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Agreed... We are currently 5-2, 1st in the A-10.... and realistically we could be 7-0. No, I was never expecting us to go undefeated... and unless you are ND, UConn, Baylor or South Carolina... the odds are you won't go undefeated.

But realistically, if you look at the 2 games we lost..... North Carolina.... early on our defense was really really good.... but towards the end of the 2nd quarter & pretty much all of the 3rd quarter of that game.... our defense took a hit, mainly because our offense was totally non existent in that time. And then IUPUI.... it was a back and forth game.... they went on a run, we went on a run and so on. And down the stretch from what I could see.... we turned the ball over & couldn't get shots to fall.... and ultimately lost a close one again to IUPUI (lost to them 3 times in the last 4 years.... all close games).

Both of those games were winnable. Fortunately last night we were able to get the W after early in the game the offense was struggling.

Biggest thing offensively is we gotta play more controlled but confident..... and honestly I think early on we've gotta get players like Danielle & Sofya going down low to help open up the perimeter for players like Taya, Sydnei, Jailyn, Tera, and such. Also, I've noticed a little bit that Tera at times doesn't seem as confident about trying to drive to the basket as last year when she was our main offensive threat for most of the season. We all know she can do it, but it seems like she's hesitating at times. Not sure if it's just that her shots aren't dropping or what.... but She's another one I think we need to get the ball too early & get her going.

If we can get Tera (who can drive to the rim, or shoot a jumper), Danielle & Sofya going early in games.... that will force the opposing defense to have to guard them more which will open up more space on the perimeter for players Nyra, Taya, Sydnei, Jailyn & such.

Also, after watching some games this year, if Kseniya is going to shoot 3's.... at this point, she's much better suited for catch & shoot instead of having to dribbling into a shot.

All in all, we are much healthier & much improved from last year..... and I can't wait to see what the rest of the year is like.
Yeah, when we are most effective is when we either get the ball in the lane through the post or by driving. Either way it opens up everything else. Also, at our best the defense is leading to offense. Sydnei can really help driving and even posting up sometimes too, she's not tall, but usually stronger than the player guarding her. Tough match up for a lot of teams. Kseniya's starting to show some of that too, forward size with some guard skills. In any case, I think this team can be really good and if we can get the bulk of the team to stick around a few years, this group has some great possibilities.

BigE

Elite Member
Good hard fought win by @VCU_WBB to move to 6-2!
DtcKwhdU0AA1xA8.jpg

#LetsGoVCU #ThisIsRamNation

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Wow, that’s great news! What’s different this season?

Well.... biggest thing I'm noticing is we are healthier. Last year we had quite a bit of injuries...
  • Taya Robinson & Sydnei Archie were coming off injuries from their HS days... so they were limited & playing cautiously early in the year last year.
  • One of other players, Sandra Skinner, who has since transferred had an injury earlier in the year..
  • Madison Hattix-Covington missed the whole year due to an injury suffered either in the offseason or preseason last year
  • We had Olga & Sofya who were new to the system and were trying to learn it & also learning english at the same time.... and while we have not seen much of Olga this year due to an injury I believe.... Sofya has been very reliable.
  • Also, last year, for a good majority of the year, our entire offense ran through Tera Reed, this year, now that we are healthy, we have a lot more options.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Disappointing loss on Friday. But, let’s get back at it!

Biggest things in the game yesterday were Rebounds & Turnovers. We gave up 16 offensive rebounds, and we ourselves only got 4. We also had 20 turnovers compared to their 10.

Just goes to show that Despite shooting 50% from 3, 46% from the field & 73.7% at the FT line..... that if you can't rebound & or limit turnovers... it doesn't matter how well you shoot the ball.

Kinda reminds me of the Texas game that the Men played the other night.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Not a good game today vs Radford. We are simply better than they are, you could tell it but just didn't play very aggressively. Not sure why we played so much zone when the man defense has been so good and worked better today too, we got killed with offensive rebounds in the zone. They are playing tentative now, not free flowing like earlier. Hope this turns around, they can be really good I think. From other games I've watched in the A10 we can really challenge for a top stop if we recapture some of our earlier aggressiveness.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
This team is playing as well as any VCU women's team I've seen for some time. Man, I've got to get down to RVA to see them soon!

Where do you live? If you're near DC... we play @ GW Wednesday night.