2018-2019 Roster Updated

Discussion in 'VCU Womens Basketball' started by iLove VCU, Aug 2, 2018.

1. iLove VCU

iLove VCU Walk-On

What do you all think about our roster as currently constructed?
    http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/roster

2018-19 VCU Women's Basketball Roster
    Ht. Hometown/Previous School
    0 Te'Kayla Tassin G Jr. 5-9 Byram, Miss. / Terry High School
    1 Taya Robinson G So. 5-10 Richmond, Va. / Huguenot
    3 Madison Hattix-Covington G R-Fr. 5-10 Killeen, Texas / Ellison
    5 Olga Petrova G So. 5-8 Moscow, Russia / -
    11 Kseniya Malashka F Fr. 6-0 Minsk, Belarus / -
    15 Sofya Pashigoreva C So. 6-6 Moscow, Russia / -
    20 Jailyn Maddox G Jr. 5-10 Hoover, Ala. / Hoover
    22 Sydnei Archie F So. 5-10 Richmond, Va. / St. Catherine's
    23 Jordan Agustus G R-Jr. 6-0 Bronx, N.Y. / Saint Mary's
    24 Tera Reed G So. 6-0 New Zealand / Life Center Academy (N.J.)
    25 Lauryn Thompson F Fr. 6-2 Arlington, Texas / Mansfield Timberview High School
    30 Danielle Hammond C Jr. 6-4 Philadelphia, Pa. / Baldwin School
    34 Nyra Williams G Jr. 5-5 Hampton, Va. / Bethel
    42 Niya Johnson G R-So. 5-8 Brooklyn, N.Y. / Nazareth

#1 iLove VCU, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. iLove VCU

iLove VCU Walk-On

5 Juniors, 6 sophomores and no seniors... these classes are really unbalanced and I'm wondering who will step up as the leader.... any insights @RowdyPkunk?

3. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend Top Member

First I'll address the roster situation before I get into individual players & what I expect for this year....

The problem is the same offseason that VCU MBB lost like 8 guys... WBB lost 9 players.... 6 to graduation, Camille who ended her career due to injuries.... and 2 to transfers (Brelove & Strong... both of which would be seniors this year I believe had they not transferred.) Then you have 2 more players who transferred after this last season (Skinner & Gibson... both of whom woulda been seniors this year)…. So in the last 2 seasons we've lost 11 players, 4 of which woulda been seniors if not due to transferring.... And I think it's fairly obvious why they all bailed when they did (that's a different subject for a different day). Also it's very uncommon for us to go out there & get grad transfers to come fill a gap.

As for who will step up as a leader.... my guess is it will be Jailyn. Can't really put it on Tassin as this is her first year with us. I don't really know what to expect from Jordan as I never saw her play for St. John's. Danielle, while she improved last year... doesn't have that personality as a leader. Nyra could be a leader but she gets frustrated easily, and I think you're leader needs to be a little more controlled. The other possible option is Taya Robinson. If she can stay healthy, stay on the court longer, I could see her developing into a leader as well.

Coming into this year I would say Tera is our best player, but best player doesn't always = being a leader... and at least her freshmen year, I saw her more as a follower kind of.... though she definitely put the team on her back multiple games.

This year will be VERY INTERESTING on all fronts..... There weren't nearly as many departures (from a players stand point) as the previous season.... the coach will certainly be on the hot seat.... got saved last year imo due to roster turnover & injuries from our incoming freshmen.

I'm interested to see how Tera follows up her amazing statistical season as a freshman. I'm interested to see what Madison can do coming off an injury... I've heard she was really good in HS. I'm certainly interested to see who steps up as a leader.

iLove VCU likes this.
  4. GRID

GRID Hall of Famer

Hey @RowdyPkunk Interesting that you gave no comment on Sydney Archie

5. RowdyPkunk

Wasn't intentional.... I was just responding to who I think would be a leader. As far as Sydnei goes.... I don't really know yet if she'll be a leader, or if she'll be in a category like Tillman or Lane, where she is a good player, but not exactly a leader. She's only a sophomore so there's plenty of time for her to develop into a leader.

Obviously the first person or group of people that you look towards when it comes to leadership is usually your upperclassmen.... which Sydnei doesn't fall into that category. The other people you usually look at are the ones who are vocal and take the lead in the huddles & such.... which I have not seen out of her yet.... but then again I've only seen her play for one year, and she wasn't 100%.

Maybe that'll change this year with a year under her belt.

Certainly wasn't trying to slight her at all. Just need to see more before I can make a determination.

6. GRID

GRID Hall of Famer

I didn't read it as slight at all. I was just wondering about her outlook for the upcoming season. I'm looking for her to be more vocal, and obviously more productive since she'll be even farther away from her knee injuries.

Nyra Williams is who the team has to depend on to be the floor general. Last year she was still new to her role and still early in her career. As a seasoned guard in HS, she's experienced and has been coached. I think know that a few kinks in the team have been worked out she should be ready to go. It'll be interesting to see how the mins are split between her and Olga (who's equally as competent at pg). My concern for Nyra is that coach has shown to have a quick hook when players make mistakes and that won't help a pg develop

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  7. RowdyPkunk

Honestly if it were me.... the PG mins would go to Nyra & Taya.... and use Olga more of a SG instead. While Olga had her struggles last year after coming in mid season... mostly from a ball handling stand point, she did show some signs that she could be a good spot up shooter... something this team could certainly use another of.

Taya, Nyra, Jailyn, and Sydnei are mostly driving to the basket type scorers.... though they can hit jump shots. As far as consistent spot up shooters from range... are best ones are Niya & Tera (who can do a little bit of everything). Other than a few practice highlights I haven't seen what type of players Madison, Jordan, Lauryn or Te'Kayla yet. So giving us another spot up shooter in Olga could help.

TGR likes this.
  8. RowdyPkunk

Hey @iLove VCU

when you get a sec... the roster needs an update now that VCU Athletics has finally added the girl from Belarus show below- #11

upload_2018-8-16_14-52-59.png

9. RowdyPkunk

10. Ramlove81

Ramlove81 Legend Top Member

Malashka really looked good in video from past seasons. Sounds like she has continued to improve. I'm excited to see what she can do with VCU this season. She's playing against really good competition in international play and killing it.

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  11. iLove VCU

iLove VCU Walk-On

Updated :)

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  12. Ramlove81

Some info on Malashka, I think we've got a good one here.
    http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20bwomen/2018/game/0907/Turkey-Belarus
    http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20bwomen/2018/game/0807/Belarus-Bulgaria#|tab=boxscore
    http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20bwomen/2018/game/1507/Belarus-Czech-Republic#|tab=boxscore
    http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18bwomen/2018/game/0308/Ukraine-Belarus#|tab=boxscore
    http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20bwomen/2018/game/1207/Iceland-Belarus#|tab=boxscore

These are all reports on games including full game videos (no I haven't watched them all, but I've watched enough to see this girl is really good). There are a lot more than this too. Watch her play defense! She is often guarding someone 3 or 4 inches taller than her, very few passes go her way she doesn't get a hand on. She apparently started out playing on the 18U team and then moved up to the 20U team. They won all the games but the Czech Republic game (not a good game for Belarus or Malashka).

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  13. RowdyPkunk

Certainly some potential there.... hoping her game translates well over here. If so, this could be a very interesting year. Between her potential, obviously we all saw what Tera Reed did for us last year..... and we got most of the squad back from last year.... could make this year very interesting.

Only time will tell. Can't wait to go to one of their practices and see how we are looking for this year.

Ramlove81 likes this.
  14. Ramlove81

Look forward t a report. Looking less and less likely I'll be in this part of the country. Argh! Chicago or California most likely. A long commute either way. But I will be visiting family locally so maybe I can get away for a game then.

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  15. RowdyPkunk

Here's the New Rams

mike7842 likes this.