2019-2020 Opponent Tracking

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Any chance the Rams would ever have enough in the budget to take an early season west coast trip? Something like: Gonzaga, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and maybe Arizona? I think it would be great exposure and a fun trip for the players. Plan something like this rather than a holiday tournament.

csalera

Top Member
Insider
Feb 19, 2017
Any chance the Rams would ever have enough in the budget to take an early season west coast trip? Something like: Gonzaga, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, and maybe Arizona? I think it would be great exposure and a fun trip for the players. Plan something like this rather than a holiday tournament.
Our fans could not follow them.
Our fans couldn't follow them on a trip like that.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I doubt it’s a budget issue. First two schools have to want to do it. Second, it would need to be a home and home, similar to what Dayton and St Mary’s did a couple years back. Keep in mind very few top level teams volunteer to come to the Stu.

Reactions: VCU94MCV98
Dec 16, 2013
I doubt it’s a budget issue. First two schools have to want to do it. Second, it would need to be a home and home, similar to what Dayton and St Mary’s did a couple years back. Keep in mind very few top level teams volunteer to come to the Stu.
we have to get beyond the mentality of expecting top schools to play us home and home. other than UVA we have only gotten big teams here because of contracts for departing coaches (and that requires us to go to there place too)
I would be more than happy to see Rams go to Spokane and Seattle and play Gonzaga and Washington on the road without a return to the Stu
another suggestion would be to leverage UVA and have them invite Gonzaga and Washington and VCU to the JPJ and on a Thursday - Saturday we have a four team doubleheader and play Gonzaga one night and then Washington after a day off ( I am sure UVA can find a nice corporate sponsor for that as well as part of ACC network or national network) maybe even go back to Spokane the following year or two years later for the same 4 teams - all during the winter break when school is out to minimize away from sschool
I would also be willing to trade two away games against any consistent top 20 team for one home game (will not likely get any of the top 5-10 teams like Duke, UK, kansas, UNC, Villanova )
I think we made a step in the right direction with Wichita St home and home and wish we would do that again in 20-22
Would love to see us do that with Houston too for the future (assumes they will come to Richmond) and Cincy too
I worry that the mid to lower level games in A10 will kill us in RPI/NET for the next 2-3 years (Fordham, UMass, Lasalle, St Joes, UR, GW and GMU come to mind though GMU maybe unfair to group them there)

Reactions: MarylandRamFan

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
You know it takes two schools to schedule a game. We just can’t declare a game and make it so. The other school has to agree to it, too.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
we have to get beyond the mentality of expecting top schools to play us home and home. other than UVA we have only gotten big teams here because of contracts for departing coaches (and that requires us to go to there place too)
I would be more than happy to see Rams go to Spokane and Seattle and play Gonzaga and Washington on the road without a return to the Stu
another suggestion would be to leverage UVA and have them invite Gonzaga and Washington and VCU to the JPJ and on a Thursday - Saturday we have a four team doubleheader and play Gonzaga one night and then Washington after a day off ( I am sure UVA can find a nice corporate sponsor for that as well as part of ACC network or national network) maybe even go back to Spokane the following year or two years later for the same 4 teams - all during the winter break when school is out to minimize away from sschool
I would also be willing to trade two away games against any consistent top 20 team for one home game (will not likely get any of the top 5-10 teams like Duke, UK, kansas, UNC, Villanova )
I think we made a step in the right direction with Wichita St home and home and wish we would do that again in 20-22
Would love to see us do that with Houston too for the future (assumes they will come to Richmond) and Cincy too
I worry that the mid to lower level games in A10 will kill us in RPI/NET for the next 2-3 years (Fordham, UMass, Lasalle, St Joes, UR, GW and GMU come to mind though GMU maybe unfair to group them there)
Let me start by saying Incase there was some confusion, I don’t make nor am I advised on scheduling decision. Now, you are absolutely right about the schools other than UVA thus my statement of teams not volunteering to come to the Stu. I also agree that we shouldn’t only be looking for home and home series. However, I think there are a number of teams this side of the Mississippi that we can play if we are not doing a H&H. What the scheduling style of this staff will be is still to be determined but historically we haven’t been a school do what you suggest

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
You know it takes two schools to schedule a game. We just can’t declare a game and make it so. The other school has to agree to it, too.
Understood. But it has to start with a desire and a willingness to at least try something like this. The Pac 12 is down and I have to believe some of their teams would be thrilled to have a visit from a team like VCU. To me, its not all about wins, but exposure on a national level. Plus, use such trips as a recruiting tool.

Reactions: share the ball

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Georgia Tech recently played VCU home and home. As did Cincinnati.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
We want good H&H's get into the AAC. Problem solved.

Dec 16, 2013
Georgia Tech recently played VCU home and home. As did Cincinnati.
yup and we should continue to try and schedule Cincy home and home
they are consistently top 40 and such a matchup helps both programs IMHO

not sure about wanting to be in a home and home with GT but yeah that was a good relatively recent effort to improve scheduling over Big south and Meac conference teams we often play ( would prefer NC State, Miami , Clemson in ACC but doubt they will oblige in a H&H) but I think our target should be the top 3 teams in those conferences rated 5-10 like American conference, MVC, Pac 12

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Apr 21, 2009
Our fans could not follow them.

Our fans couldn't follow them on a trip like that.
This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever personally witnessed on this board (which, admittedly, is saying a lot). Our fans will travel, and even if there are not a ton of them at the game, it would be great early-season road experience against some teams, and we could probably parlay that into an ESPN late game anyhow. So many reasons to get a game like the one described.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
A buy game at Gonzaga or any Pac 12 school is not at the top of my scheduling wish list.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
A buy game at Gonzaga or any Pac 12 school is not at the top of my scheduling wish list.
Dunno about now, but the Few used to famously be willing to play anyone, anywhere. Couldn't hurt to ask. No idea if he and Mike know each other or if there's any AD crossover, though.