2019-2020 Opponent Tracking

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Remember Vince Law???

As for Dayton?? I am more impressed WITH them than I am jealous OF them...I figure we can get back into the 'ol Top 25 eventually. A10 having 2 teams ranked would be AWESOME!!
Need to catch ur and Duquesne first. Lagging behind a few teams as far as national recognition

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Dayton moves up to #14 in the AP Poll. Tennessee is #19, and Purdue, Richmond, and Duquesne received votes. Unfortunately VCU received one whole point (tied with Duquesne).

Dayton is #12 in the Coaches' Poll, Tennessee #17, and Purdue is the only opponent who received votes (VCU is fourth in the "receiving votes" category).

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
#12? #14 in the AP? Can you spell target on your back?
Kind of like when Saint Louis reached #10 in the AP Poll in 2014...and promptly got blown out by VCU at the Stu.

The difference, though, is that Dayton is playing at a very, very high level right now. They rank very highly on most of the metrics (#20 KP, #7 Haslametrics). Saint Louis was in decline and lost three straight after reaching #10 (Duquesne, VCU, and Dayton).

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Kind of like when Saint Louis reached #10 in the AP Poll in 2014...and promptly got blown out by VCU at the Stu.

The difference, though, is that Dayton is playing at a very, very high level right now. They rank very highly on most of the metrics (#20 KP, #7 Haslametrics). Saint Louis was in decline and lost three straight after reaching #10 (Duquesne, VCU, and Dayton).
Torvik claims they have the best offense in the country at the moment.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Torvik claims they have the best offense in the country at the moment.
Based on raw numbers, he might not be wrong right now. But we'll have to see if they can keep this up through the whole season and not collapse when conference play comes around.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Need to catch ur and Duquesne first. Lagging behind a few teams as far as national recognition
You can thank John Feinstein for that. He voted fur #23 and Duquesne #25. VCU was voted #25 by Dave Preston at WTOP Radio in Washington, DC. Feinstein also voted Dayton #20.

FYI - Wayne Epps didn't vote for VCU, fur or Duquesne. Thank goodness John O'Connor doesn't have a vote. Only other in-state voters are both from The Roanoke Times.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
You can thank John Feinstein for that. He voted fur #23 and Duquesne #25. VCU was voted #25 by Dave Preston at WTOP Radio in Washington, DC. Feinstein also voted Dayton #20.

FYI - Wayne Epps didn't vote for VCU, fur or Duquesne. Thank goodness John O'Connor doesn't have a vote. Only other in-state voters are both from The Roanoke Times.
Might me more about us than them

Reactions: TampaKAP

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I know its counter to the culture in here, but Dayton is by far the team to beat in the A10 right now and it's not even close in my opinion. They have some intangibles that we don't have, for now. I've seen a number of the other teams play and I know it hard to compare because not all competition is the same, but right now, as of today, I see VCU as the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Well, with Dayton doing so well, the positive upside is that it strengthens our conference and Grant may not be there long enough to really taunt us.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I know its counter to the culture in here, but Dayton is by far the team to beat in the A10 right now and it's not even close in my opinion. They have some intangibles that we don't have, for now. I've seen a number of the other teams play and I know it hard to compare because not all competition is the same, but right now, as of today, I see VCU as the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.
4th best, eh? Do tell.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Well, with Dayton doing so well, the positive upside is that it strengthens our conference and Grant may not be there long enough to really taunt us.
I might agree with you if Grant hadn’t done P5 and hadn’t done NBA and wasn’t at his Alma Mater

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I know its counter to the culture in here, but Dayton is by far the team to beat in the A10 right now and it's not even close in my opinion. They have some intangibles that we don't have, for now. I've seen a number of the other teams play and I know it hard to compare because not all competition is put anthe same, but right now, as of today, I see VCU as the 3rd or 4th best team in the league.
We have upside when you look at how we are playing vs how we can play but your point is made....a quick look around the league and you see players playing at a very high level...St.Louis has a freshman that just torched their opponent with 6 made threes....six...heck I wish Crowfield would shoot it 6 times. Ur guards are filling it up...their point guard hasn’t had a single turnover in two games he has 4 ast/to and the Dayton team looks to be hitting on all cylinders.
We need to turn it up a notch.
I’m glad that MSS is playing his @ss off but if he ends up being our leading scorer at 13ppg we may have an issue.

Last edited: