2019-2020 Opponent Tracking

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I can’t believe you all are d*icking around with *when* a top quality team schedules us when, in fact, everyone complains about a top quality team not scheduling us.
Ffs we had a helluva game with the eventual #1 and... wtf?
I give a hearty thank you to all the folks that made that happen and hope that the stars align to make it happen again.
This! Do some of you guys actually think that Bennett had some grand psychic plan in the timing when he gave us the H&H? Seriously? Then I've got a bridge to sell you. He knows he gets a game that can't be a bad loss and a lot of excitement for basketball in VA. It's a win win no matter how strong both squads are.

Apr 20, 2009
Someone asked Bennett not too long ago about scheduling VCU and he said he liked the series and thought it was good for the state and that he hoped to be able to do it again soon..We did have the H&H just recently with GA Tech and played FSU in Atlanta when Will was here. I think a lot of it comes down to relationships. Since we helped Buzz Williams get his first head coaching job at New Orleans thru Villa 7 I was hoping we would get a H&H with Tech. I wonder if the AD's at some of these schools block their coaches from scheduling H&H with non power 5 schools. Between a strong Thanksgiving tourney plus those two or three extra games you play as preliminary games, if you have 20 conference games that's almost your full schedule right there. I remember sitting with Jeff Capel in his office when he was our HC. Quinn Snyder who was the HC at Missouri at the time, called to see about scheduling a H&H with us..it didn't work out but it was strictly because they had a relationship going back to their Duke days that they were willing to do a H&H. Unfortunately with Mike having spent most of his time in D3 he doesn't have those D1 connections like some of our previous coaches. Unless we get in a better league like the AAC I foresee getting quality non conference games being a tough road to hoe for the foreseeable future.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
With all the coaches and assistant coaches who have moved on and are now HC at other universities, we ought to be able to fill our entire OOC with relatively good quality games....they just need to step up

sjhawk13

Top Member
Feb 6, 2014
We're getting ours. Dont know about your school.
Did I miss some H&H with a P5 you're trying to crow about, or did CoC get into the SEC? Because despite this thread having zigs and zags masked as complaining about Fordham and the proper use of the Oxford comma, I think I've been able to follow along well enough to say the answer is no.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
I think P5's would love to play us not so much your school. Nothing personal please. You are welcome here as far as I consider.

sjhawk13

Top Member
Feb 6, 2014
I think P5's would love to play us not so much your school. Nothing personal please. You are welcome here as far as I consider.
I think you think that's true but, you know, it isn't. Unless somewhere in this thread I missed the multiple new H&H series with P5 schools that VCU is going to play. Can you point me to where I managed to overlook those, Bang?

Nothing personal, please.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Moving to the American won't magically solve the issues we have with non-conference scheduling.
It won't solve them in and of itself, but it would definitely make things easier.

For starters, the AAC just entered a scheduling alliance with the SEC in which four of their schools will play a home-and-home over the next two seasons, and it's rumored that they're trying to set up another one. Plus you get judged by the company you keep, and rubbing elbows with the likes of Cincinnati, Houston, UConn and Wichita State, among others, makes you a more attractive get for the OOC — most AAC schools that aren't Tulane or ECU get good games. And if nothing else, the higher quality of in-conference games takes some pressure off of the AD to swing for the fences in OOC.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
We get big-timed by a lot of the P5s the same way we big-time programs like JMU and W&M now. It’s all part of the landscape now.

If I were a P5 AD I completely see why I wouldn’t schedule aggressively in the OOC. Truly OOC SOS doesn’t matter for P5s unless you’re a middling squad to begin with. The teams that are actually good can play everyone at home OOC and as long as they win enough in conference, they’re in regardless.

Sucks for us, but that’s life as a non P5 program. We’re fortunate we have enough cachet to get in prestigious early season tournaments and that Tony Bennett sees value in playing us H&H. Otherwise we really have 1 series with Georgia Tech and AAC programs like Cincy and Wichita State to hang our hats on from a scheduling standpoint. While the clause for departing coaches to have to play us H&H is a shrewd move on our part, it’s not sustainable and we only benefit because of the coaching turnover we experience which is a double-edged sword.

Is that a whole lot better than a lot of mid-majors? Absolutely. There is still a stacked deck against VCU in general though when it comes to scheduling. We’re a lot more like the mids we don’t schedule than the P5 programs we aspire to schedule with when it comes to bargaining power and leverage.

Budgeting more money for guarantee games against peer schools and high performing low major teams is a loophole we’ve used to great effect in recent years. We can and should continue to leverage buyout money to give ourselves the best chance we can to have good computer numbers.

Feb 8, 2010
It won't solve them in and of itself, but it would definitely make things easier.
I don't know if I agree with that. I'm pretty sure the reason Georgetown, Maryland and VT aren't exactly hopping up and down to play us has little to nothing to do with our conference affiliation. A few years ago when six teams from the A10 made the dance and we were ranked, we still had the same problem getting P5+BE schools to schedule us.

Plus you get judged by the company you keep, and rubbing elbows with the likes of Cincinnati, Houston, UConn and Wichita State, among others, makes you a more attractive get for the OOC — most AAC schools that aren't Tulane or ECU get good games.
I'd argue that the gap between the American and the A10 isn't such that schools that who would flatly refuse to consider H&H series with us would suddenly pick up the phone if we announced we were joining the AAC.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Someone asked Bennett not too long ago about scheduling VCU and he said he liked the series and thought it was good for the state and that he hoped to be able to do it again soon..We did have the H&H just recently with GA Tech and played FSU in Atlanta when Will was here. I think a lot of it comes down to relationships. Since we helped Buzz Williams get his first head coaching job at New Orleans thru Villa 7 I was hoping we would get a H&H with Tech. I wonder if the AD's at some of these schools block their coaches from scheduling H&H with non power 5 schools. Between a strong Thanksgiving tourney plus those two or three extra games you play as preliminary games, if you have 20 conference games that's almost your full schedule right there. I remember sitting with Jeff Capel in his office when he was our HC. Quinn Snyder who was the HC at Missouri at the time, called to see about scheduling a H&H with us..it didn't work out but it was strictly because they had a relationship going back to their Duke days that they were willing to do a H&H. Unfortunately with Mike having spent most of his time in D3 he doesn't have those D1 connections like some of our previous coaches. Unless we get in a better league like the AAC I foresee getting quality non conference games being a tough road to hoe for the foreseeable future.
Mike probably has more connections than our last 3 coaches combined when they started at VCU. It is not that simple though. A connection might get you a game at some point or it might just get you politely declined rather than hung up on.

Reactions: PRock and DCDuck

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
I don't know if I agree with that. I'm pretty sure the reason Georgetown, Maryland and VT aren't exactly hopping up and down to play us has little to nothing to do with our conference affiliation. A few years ago when six teams from the A10 made the dance and we were ranked, we still had the same problem getting P5+BE schools to schedule us.
They're not great examples, though. Georgetown isn't hopping up and down to play anybody, at least not so far under Patrick Ewing. Maybe that changes next season, but the OOC in his first two seasons has been weak as heck, outside the Syracuse game. Plus they and Virginia Tech tend to be pretty provencal about their OOC anyway, especially the Hokies, who have a massive stick up their turkey butt about playing Virginia schools that aren't the Cavaliers or tomato cans. Honestly, VCU could join the Big 10 or SEC and they still get G'Town or VT.

I'd argue that the gap between the American and the A10 isn't such that schools that who would flatly refuse to consider H&H series with us would suddenly pick up the phone if we announced we were joining the AAC.
Again, I don't think anything happens suddenly. Look how long it took Gonzaga to build its brand before the big schools started returning their calls. But the AAC is largely considered to be a better conference than the A-10, and even if only in drips and dribbles, that sort of thing can only help.

If the argument is "the AAC can't offer immediate scheduling dividends" then I'd say you're largely correct. But I don't think that argues against the impact it can have over the mid- and long-term, and certainly in and of itself doesn't argue against accepting an invitation should one come.

Reactions: mrgeode