2019-2020 Opponent Tracking

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The irrational hatred that many here have for whoever coaches URI is over the top and clouds people's perspective.

I suggest that you may want to look into the background of the UMass Assistant Coach Tony Bergeron that was in the middle of the dust up with both Cox and Toppin after the game in Kingston. Prior to this year he was the head coach of Woodstock Academy in CT. URI's Jacob Toppin played for him there. So did UMass players Tre Mitchell, Preston Santos, TJ Weeks, and Dibaji Walker. It was probably no coincidence that Bergeron got hired by UMass right after most committed to the school. Tony delivered them to UMass and then the A-10 school promptly delivered a job to him. Bergeron, having been their high school coach, is very close to these players, even more so with Mitchell since he dates his mother.

Bergeron has openly expressed to the local press his desire to one day be the head coach at UMass. That ordinarily would not make it a bad offense but it does not come across well when the head coach's job is far from secure and in public jeopardy by all indications (he was forced to fire his entire staff last year). There are rumors here in New England that Bergeron, while a very good high school coach based on team performance, is a very abrasive and aggressive character that has rubbed many people the wrong way. There are even whispers that he is having issues with multiple members of the staff at UMass, including the head coach. It is not a surprise given the number of Woodstock players on the UMass roster that many assert that this is Tony's team and not McCall's. The fact that head coach Matt McCall was already in the tunnel all alone heading to the locker room at the Ryan Center while Bergeron and all the players were still out on the court in the middle of a post game conflict doesn't exactly dispel that rumor. Some might even say it was a perfect metaphor for the present situation of the UMass program.

There is supposedly bad blood between Bergeron and the Toppin family and at least one Dayton fan claims Tony said something to Obi in the handshake line out there after the game versus the Flyers a few weeks back.

I therefore suggest that you may want to look at all sides before making hasty judgements.
All of that can be true and we can still hate Rhode Island.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The irrational hatred that many here have for whoever coaches URI is over the top and clouds people's perspective.

I suggest that you may want to look into the background of the UMass Assistant Coach Tony Bergeron that was in the middle of the dust up with both Cox and Toppin after the game in Kingston. Prior to this year he was the head coach of Woodstock Academy in CT. URI's Jacob Toppin played for him there. So did UMass players Tre Mitchell, Preston Santos, TJ Weeks, and Dibaji Walker. It was probably no coincidence that Bergeron got hired by UMass right after most committed to the school. Tony delivered them to UMass and then the A-10 school promptly delivered a job to him. Bergeron, having been their high school coach, is very close to these players, even more so with Mitchell since he dates his mother.

Bergeron has openly expressed to the local press his desire to one day be the head coach at UMass. That ordinarily would not make it a bad offense but it does not come across well when the head coach's job is far from secure and in public jeopardy by all indications (he was forced to fire his entire staff last year). There are rumors here in New England that Bergeron, while a very good high school coach based on team performance, is a very abrasive and aggressive character that has rubbed many people the wrong way. There are even whispers that he is having issues with multiple members of the staff at UMass, including the head coach. It is not a surprise given the number of Woodstock players on the UMass roster that many assert that this is Tony's team and not McCall's. The fact that head coach Matt McCall was already in the tunnel all alone heading to the locker room at the Ryan Center while Bergeron and all the players were still out on the court in the middle of a post game conflict doesn't exactly dispel that rumor. Some might even say it was a perfect metaphor for the present situation of the UMass program.

There is supposedly bad blood between Bergeron and the Toppin family and at least one Dayton fan claims Tony said something to Obi in the handshake line out there after the game versus the Flyers a few weeks back.

I therefore suggest that you may want to look at all sides before making hasty judgements.
Trust me. It's not a hasty judgment. Cox took an extremely cheap shot at the VCU team last year that was totally unprofessional. He's a jacka$$.

rf1

Aug 30, 2014
Trust me. It's not a hasty judgment. Cox took an extremely cheap shot at the VCU team last year that was totally unprofessional. He's a jacka$$.
I am again amazed by the extremely thin skins of many in a fan base that talks more smack than any other in the A-10. It seems some are just going off hearsay from a VCU partisan about what David Cox supposedly said in comments in and around the heat of a game intended for the private consumption of his own players. I myself have seen no concrete objective evidence that this was ever said. Even if it was, do you think VCU coaches are saying nice things about URI to their players? I find it very odd that many VCU fans have an issue for alleged harsh comments that they themselves did not hear or see first hand yet many of these same fans have routinely disparaged URI coaches and players on this very public forum for years. Seems extremely hypocritical to me. I suppose I could understand all the resentment if Cox actually made comments such as this that were specifically intended for the public. That however was not the case.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I again am amazed by the extremely thin skins of many in a fan base that talks more smack than any other in the A-10. It seems some are just going off hearsay from a VCU partisan about what David Cox supposedly said in comments in and around the heat of a game intended for the private consumption of his own players. I myself have seen no concrete objective evidence that this was ever said. Even if it was, do you think VCU coaches are saying nice things about URI to their players? I find it very odd that many VCU fans have an issue for alleged harsh comments that they themselves did not hear or see first hand yet many of these same fans have routinely disparaged URI coaches and players on this very public forum for years. Seems extremely hypocritical to me. I suppose I could understand all the resentment if Cox actually made comments such as this that were specifically intended for the public. That however was not the case.
Thanks for the tip. We'll be sure to visit your board after a key player blows out his knee so we can remind you guys what to say about our coach.

*Edit: I forgot. Go Providence.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I am again amazed by the extremely thin skins of many in a fan base that talks more smack than any other in the A-10. It seems some are just going off hearsay from a VCU partisan about what David Cox supposedly said in comments in and around the heat of a game intended for the private consumption of his own players. I myself have seen no concrete objective evidence that this was ever said. Even if it was, do you think VCU coaches are saying nice things about URI to their players? I find it very odd that many VCU fans have an issue for alleged harsh comments that they themselves did not hear or see first hand yet many of these same fans have routinely disparaged URI coaches and players on this very public forum for years. Seems extremely hypocritical to me. I suppose I could understand all the resentment if Cox actually made comments such as this that were specifically intended for the public. That however was not the case.
Puzzled as to why you care what VCU fans say on a VCU board.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I’m not hypocritical....I’m consistent...phuck URI ...your 15 minutes will be up soon enuff

Last edited:
Reactions: mrA10

rf1

Aug 30, 2014
Puzzled as to why you care what VCU fans say on a VCU board.

I read most all the A-10 boards for league information and comment here from time to time as VCU has one of the most active forums in the league. I refrained from doing so in and around any of the URI-VCU games as I knew passions were high. I however think these attacks on David Cox are not representative of what I have seen of him. He is very soft spoken and typically fairly calm. He usually always comes off very professional and is far different than his predecessor who was very intense and emotional (which made him little liked by opposing fans).

Many here were quick to blame Cox for the UMass post game dust-up despite not being there or knowing the backstory. I therefore thought some added perspective would be good. If you feel my take on things is wrong, I suggest you read the UMass board. They do not seem to be placing all the blame on Cox with many of them not doubting Bergeron may have been the main instigator in what transpired.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I read most all the A-10 boards for league information and comment here from time to time as VCU has one of the most active forums in the league. I refrained from doing so in and around any of the URI-VCU games as I knew passions were high. I however think these attacks on David Cox are not representative of what I have seen of him. He is very soft spoken and typically fairly calm. He usually always comes off very professional and is far different than his predecessor who was very intense and emotional (which made him little liked by opposing fans).

Many here were quick to blame Cox for the UMass post game dust-up despite not being there or knowing the backstory. I therefore thought some added perspective would be good. If you feel my take on things is wrong, I suggest you read the UMass board. They do not seem to be placing all the blame on Cox with many of them not doubting Bergeron may have been the main instigator in what transpired.
I’m not even commenting on the UMass thing. Just puzzled why you care what VCU fans say on our board. (I saw the video; I don’t think he was at fault in this instance.)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Irony much, this is pretty whiney in it’s own right. Not a lot of warm-fuzzies for your coach.....Whipty-freakin-do. You like him, we don’t.....go figure!

Again, appreciate the background on Tony B.....maybe our perspective of DC is along the same lines as yours regarding TB.

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
You know your coach is an ahole. We know your coach is an ahole. Trying to separate what he says in "private" or not, we all know he is an ahole.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Out of Conference Opponents
St. Francis (PA)
(15-8)…. Lost to VCU 72-58
North Texas
(15-9).... Lost to VCU 59-56
#23 LSU
(17-5)…. Lost to VCU 84-82
Jacksonville State
(9-15)…. Lost to VCU 93-65
Florida Gulf Coast
(7-18).... Lost to VCU 78-48
Alabama State
(5-17).... Lost to VCU 78-62
Purdue- (13-10)…. Emerald Coast Classic*.... Beat VCU 59-56
#17 Tennessee (13-9)…. Beat VCU 72-69
Old Dominion
(9-15).... Lost to VCU 69-57
Missouri State
(10-13).... Lost to VCU 61-51
@ College of Charleston (15-9).... Lost to VCU 76-71
@ Wichita State (17-5).... Beat VCU 73-63
Loyola (MD)
(11-13).... Lost to VCU 85-51

Conference Opponents
Fordham
(7-14) (1-8 in A-10)…. Lost To VCU 64-46
George Mason x2
(13-9) (2-7 in A-10).... Lost to VCU 72-59
Rhode Island x2
(17-5) (9-1 in A-10).... Beat VCU 65-56, Beat VCU 87-75
#13 Dayton x2
(20-2) (9-0 in A-10)…. Beat VCU 79-65
St. Bonaventure
(14-8) (6-3 in A-10).... Lost to VCU 91-63
@ Saint Joseph's (4-18) (0-9 in A-10)…. Lost to VCU 73-60
@ La Salle (10-11) (1-8 in A-10).... Lost to VCU 76-65
Richmond x2
(16-6) (6-3 in A-10)…. Lost to VCU 87-68
Davidson x2
(11-11) (5-5 in A-10)
@ Saint Louis (17-6) (6-4 in A-10)
@ UMass (9-14) (3-7 in A-10)
George Washington (10-12) (4-5 in A-10)
Duquesne (17-5) (7-3 in A-10)

Non Conference Opponent Record: 155-133
Conference Opponent Record: 164-120 (57-61 in conference play)
Combined Overall Record: 319-253

Last edited: