2019-2020 Opponent Tracking

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
They would probably still be frustrated but when you look at their history you will find that Mooney is basically in line with past success. Tarrant was the only coach that got then to the tournament on a semi-regular basis. Five out of twelve is good but not setting the world on fire. Beilein might have strung some tournaments together but he jetted to West Virginia. I understand their frustration with Mooney since he has been there for 15 years and the last two seasons they have fallen off the map but as I said earlier, it seems to be on par with their programs history.
No doubt. I don't think it'd quite be at billboard levels, though. Who knows? Whoever was behind that is unhinged, so maybe it'd happen anyway.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I wonder how much of their angst boils down to having another school in the same conference a few miles away wildly outperform them. Say they were in Williamsburg instead of Richmond - how frustrated do you think they'd be?
And the year they made their most impressive run they didn't get the shine they "deserved" because their run was buried by VCU.

Reactions: DCDuck and mrgeode

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
They would probably still be frustrated but when you look at their history you will find that Mooney is basically in line with past success. Tarrant was the only coach that got then to the tournament on a semi-regular basis. Five out of twelve is good but not setting the world on fire. Beilein might have strung some tournaments together but he jetted to West Virginia. I understand their frustration with Mooney since he has been there for 15 years and the last two seasons they have fallen off the map but as I said earlier, it seems to be on par with their programs history.
I'm not going to go into this very much. But I will say the history before Tarrant and after Tarrant should be considered separate. Same as Clawson in football.

From the 1930s to 1970s, the landscape in both sports was so different than today, that it took those two coaches to show a blueprint of how to build a program.

Reactions: AlienAiden

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
I'm not going to go into this very much. But I will say the history before Tarrant and after Tarrant should be considered separate. Same as Clawson in football.

From the 1930s to 1970s, the landscape in both sports was so different than today, that it took those two coaches to show a blueprint of how to build a program.
OK, let's go from Tarrant until now then :D

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
And the year they made their most impressive run they didn't get the shine they "deserved" because their run was buried by VCU.
Fur's most impressive run was probably 1988 when they beat Indiana, Georgia Tech and then lost to Temple. In 2011 fur beat #5 seed Vanderbilt and #13 seed Morehead State before losing to Kansas in the Sweet 16. Their second round game against Morehead State was served up on a platter for them. If they are playing the #4 seed in that round, they don't sniff San Antonio and Kansas.

VCU fans brag about VCU's Final Four run, but fur has made the Sweet 16 twice. They have also knocked off a #2 seed (Syracuse 1991) and a #3 seed (South Carolina 1998).

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
VCU fans brag about VCU's Final Four run, but fur has made the Sweet 16 twice. They have also knocked off a #2 seed (Syracuse 1991) and a #3 seed (South Carolina 1998).
I truly believe that our advancement in the tournament since the final four has been hampered by the fact that we have had three coaching change since 2015

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Stepping up the facilities is important but putting a finger on what ails their program is difficult. Before Coach Tarrant (1913-1981) the program never made an NCAA tournament. From 1981-1993, Coach Tarrant went to five NCAA tournaments in his 12 years as the coach. From 1993 to 2019 the team has been to a total of four NCAA tournaments. Coach Beilein with one and Coach Wainwright with one. 15 years of data backs the fact that Coach Mooney might not be doing what is expected but he has the second most NCAA tournaments of any UR coach with two NCAA tournament appearances and one Sweet 16. It comes down to having players and the depth to do it. Coach Mooney has brought in players but he is not recruiting for depth. Having four to five solid players gives you a shot but depth from the front court to the backcourt is important. He has issues with recruiting a complete team year in and year out but if you look at the history of UR basketball Coach Mooney is not an outlier. To me the Mooney era seems to be normal for their program.
It benefits the total strength of the A10 and is a massive help in recruiting.
I think you are correct in your assessment of UR basketball. When I made the statement above it was more about - as more and more A10 schools start adding better facilities it will benefit the A10 as a whole. Our league will be know for having schools with great facilities. I wasn't targeting UR specifically when I mentioned 'massive help in recruiting'.
But we still have a number of programs that still play in truly lowly 'gyms'. I think that hurts those school as well as some of the perception of the A10 as a whole.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I truly believe that our advancement in the tournament since the final four has been hampered by the fact that we have had three coaching change since 2015
Not really sure that is as big of a factor as you think. Sure it doesn't help.... but lets look at things

Shaka Era
2011- First 4 to Final 4
2012- Lose in Round of 32 to Indiana (game we shoulda won)
2013- We got wrecked by Michigan in the Round of 32 (in basically a home game)
2014- We lost to SF Austin in Round of 64 (we all know what needed to happen for us to get past them)
2015- We lost to Ohio State in Round of 64 (most agree, we woulda won this if we had Briante & if Tre was 100% healthy... even then we only lost by 2)
Wade Era
2016- Lost to Oklahoma in Round of 32 (in basically a home game)
2017- Lost to Saint Mary's in Round of 64
Rhoades Era
2018- Missed NCAA Tourney (Lost 5 players to graduation, 3 to Transfers, and 2/4 of the Recruiting class)
2019- Lost in Round of 64

2016- I don't really think our lack of advancement had anything to do with a new coach. Wade was familiar with the System, most of the players were familiar with Wade in some form or fashion (whether it was from a recruiting stand point or as an asst. coach).... We beat Oregon State, and then had to face Oklahoma in what was basically a home game.... same nonsense as 2013 when we played Michigan at home.

2017- I don't really know why we lost to SMC, other than they were just flat out better than us that day.

2018- we had a very inexperienced roster & lacked a lot of chemistry.

2019- Evans was less than 100% & we just got a really bad draw facing Tacko Fall.

Sure you could make the case, if Shaka stays... then we get Williams, Murphy & Mack. But who's to say Williams & Murphy have the same success here as they did at UNC & Minnesota? And we don't know what woulda happened with Mack. Would he still be getting into fights with teammates?

And if those 3 show up..... what players that we had since, don't come to VCU, and what players end up transferring? Same goes for Batts & Kiir if Wade does not leave?

We've had trouble advancing every year since the Final 4, even with Shaka here. And both of our HC's since Shaka were on Shaka's staff the first handful of years Shaka was at VCU, including the Final 4 run.

Feb 8, 2010
Not really sure that is as big of a factor as you think. Sure it doesn't help.... but lets look at things
In 2015 and 2016 we basically lost to players who ended up as lottery picks.
In 2017 and 2019 we lost to teams that were pretty much tailor-made to counter what our teams want to do offensively and defensively (SMC plays like Virginia's packline, just with more Aussies.)

It's also worth noting that only twice between 2011 and 2019 (First Four against USC and First Round against UCF) did we end up traveling a shorter distance to the NCAA Tournament site than our opponent.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Fur's most impressive run was probably 1988 when they beat Indiana, Georgia Tech and then lost to Temple. In 2011 fur beat #5 seed Vanderbilt and #13 seed Morehead State before losing to Kansas in the Sweet 16. Their second round game against Morehead State was served up on a platter for them. If they are playing the #4 seed in that round, they don't sniff San Antonio and Kansas.

Huh? An 11, 6, 3, and overall 1 seed...I'm thinking that a sweet 16 doesn't compare no matter how many times it was done.

Reactions: DCDuck

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
In 2015 and 2016 we basically lost to players who ended up as lottery picks.
In 2017 and 2019 we lost to teams that were pretty much tailor-made to counter what our teams want to do offensively and defensively (SMC plays like Virginia's packline, just with more Aussies.)

It's also worth noting that only twice between 2011 and 2019 (First Four against USC and First Round against UCF) did we end up traveling a shorter distance to the NCAA Tournament site than our opponent.
Yup and I mean in 2016.... we don't know how much Williams, Murphy & Mack would've made an impact as a freshmen. Or how guys like Williams & Murphy woulda fit Shaka's system.... especially Murphy, since we all know Shaka wasn't necessarily the best at utilizing his bigs.

So while all the coaching changes certainly don't help.... I don't think the coaching changes were as big of a factor as to why we couldn't advance in the tourney.... considering we never got past the first weekend again with Shaka after the Final 4.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009

Shaka Era
2011- First 4 to Final 4
2012- Lose in Round of 32 to Indiana (game we shoulda won)
2013- We got wrecked by Michigan in the Round of 32 (in basically a home game)
2014- We lost to SF Austin in Round of 64 (we all know what needed to happen for us to get past them)
2015- We lost to Ohio State in Round of 64 (most agree, we woulda won this if we had Briante & if Tre was 100% healthy... even then we only lost by 2)
Wade Era
2016- Lost to Oklahoma in Round of 32 (in basically a home game)
2017- Lost to Saint Mary's in Round of 64
Rhoades Era
2018- Missed NCAA Tourney (Lost 5 players to graduation, 3 to Transfers, and 2/4 of the Recruiting class)
2019- Lost in Round of 64

2016- I don't really think our lack of advancement had anything to do with a new coach. Wade was familiar with the System, most of the players were familiar with Wade in some form or fashion (whether it was from a recruiting stand point or as an asst. coach).... We beat Oregon State, and then had to face Oklahoma in what was basically a home game.... same nonsense as 2013 when we played Michigan at home.

2017- I don't really know why we lost to SMC, other than they were just flat out better than us that day.

2018- we had a very inexperienced roster & lacked a lot of chemistry.

2019- Evans was less than 100% & we just got a really bad draw facing Tacko Fall.

Sure you could make the case, if Shaka stays... then we get Williams, Murphy & Mack. But who's to say Williams & Murphy have the same success here as they did at UNC & Minnesota? And we don't know what woulda happened with Mack. Would he still be getting into fights with teammates?

And if those 3 show up..... what players that we had since, don't come to VCU, and what players end up transferring? Same goes for Batts & Kiir if Wade does not leave?

We've had trouble advancing every year since the Final 4, even with Shaka here. And both of our HC's since Shaka were on Shaka's staff the first handful of years Shaka was at VCU, including the Final 4 run.
Regardless of what people want to say, the FF run was an anomaly. However it put us on the map and has led to better recruits IMO. Why do I think the coaching changes hampered our ability to go deeper in the tournament since that time? It is because with each transition to a new coach we have lost some top recruits. And with each transition to a new coach we have had to bring in a number of recruits who were not up to snuff to play in the A10 let alone VCU. Both Wade and Rhoades have been able to maintain the ship (hopefully Rhoades stays so we don't have to start anew for awhile) but each of their first years they have had to bring in some players who just didn't have what it takes to move us forward. I think at the end of Shaka's tenure, we began building off of his FF run with better recruiting but it stalled when he left, then picked up in Wades second year then stalled a bit when Wade left, then has picked up in Rhoades' 2nd and upcoming 3rd year