Recruiting 2019 3* G Jarren McAllister has committed to VCU

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Pipeline or not, having a good relationship with coaches/players from a school that regularly produces the kind of players we are looking for is never a bad thing. Right now they happen to have three players we could really use! I have no problem with signing all three, but of course we don't want to limit our recruiting to one school. I'll take signing some more kids from Montverde, getting a few from Oak Hill also or local hot spots like John Marshall right there in Richmond (doesn't have to be one of the private basketball factory schools).
Right, right, I just mean if there is a "pipeline" we might as well go for the equivalent of Ghawar Field.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
The two coaches might have left because Buzz Williams is a freak.

Very possible. Interesting article in the paper yesterday regarding Buzz Williams changing his coaching style with upperclassmen. Trying to take a "softer" approach. Good luck with that.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
My only point is that Jankovich and Pitino (and Rhoades) see what my own feeble eyes see, and that is an uber-athletic matchup nightmare for positionless basketball. I have some doubts about his ability to guard the PG position, but Mass. is playing him there all season so we will see. Even if he is used to bring the ball up and initiate, the trio of PJ, McAlister, and Seabron would be extremely havoc-y

Last edited:

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
Happy to see McAllister commit to VCU and also extremely happy to see Coach Rhoades finally land a 2019 recruit. What I like about McAllister that many posters haven't focused on is the fact that he is in the post graduate program at Massanutten and will be coming to VCU as a freshman in class, but a sophomore in age. That extra year could be huge regarding his progress/impact at VCU.

If you believe this to be true (which I do), then our team last yr should've been better (we had numerous kids a yr or two older than the normal age for their class).

Due to transferring or prepping a year, nearly every kid on this yr's team is older than normal for their class -- for example.

(For comparison, I was a 21 yr old senior -- student-athlete)

Senior - normal age = 21 (most kids graduate at 21 or 22)
Gilmore (Sr) - will be 24 during the season
XJ (Sr) - 23

Junior - normal age = 20
Vann (Jr) - 23
Evans (Jr) - 22
Crow (Jr) - 22
Jenkins (Jr) - 22
Simms (Jr) - 21

Sophomore - normal age = 19
Douglas (So) - 22
MSS (So) - 21
Mobley (So) - 20

Freshman - normal age = 18
Curry (Fr) - 20

RamTeach2015

Elite Member
I really see this kid becoming a staple in the program. Athleticism translates... and this kid is oozing athleticism. I think the commitment of him and Seabron locks us into our guard talent for a couple years. While I do want a solid big to rim protect, I think Rhoades will make it happen.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If you believe this to be true (which I do), then our team last yr should've been better (we had numerous kids a yr or two older than the normal age for their class).

Due to transferring or prepping a year, nearly every kid on this yr's team is older than normal for their class -- for example.

(For comparison, I was a 21 yr old senior -- student-athlete)

Senior - normal age = 21 (most kids graduate at 21 or 22)
Gilmore (Sr) - will be 24 during the season
XJ (Sr) - 23

Junior - normal age = 20
Vann (Jr) - 23
Evans (Jr) - 22
Crow (Jr) - 22
Jenkins (Jr) - 22
Simms (Jr) - 21

Sophomore - normal age = 19
Douglas (So) - 22
MSS (So) - 21
Mobley (So) - 20

Freshman - normal age = 18
Curry (Fr) - 20

Gilmore,Vann, Evans and Douglas have all sat out at least one year. Curry spent last year at Fork Union in the post graduate program. Jenkins also spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy in their post graduate program.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I have some doubts about his ability to guard the PG position, but Mass. is playing him there all season so we will see.

He was guarding cole anthony last night. The best pg and 3rd ranked player in the class of '19 last night. Anthony makes everyone look bad.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider

6’3″ Jarren McAllister – **Committed to VCU after the game** The former Virginia Tech commit slotted in nicely with the perimeter attack here. He seemed to be very confident with the ball in his hands and has improved his overall skill set since high school. Even though he went 7-19 from the field, he was confident in his shot and getting to his spots. There is a lot to like with his athleticism, and VCU will be a great spot for him to really play to his strengths (pressing, running, finishing). He is an uber athlete and a highlight waiting to happen. He is a work horse and his game keeps getting better.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
I don't know, man. Hard to see how this kid takes a second place to any of the guards we've been recruiting, based solely on that tape. Bishop was a shooter beyond compare, I suppose, and maybe Dahmir was as athletic, but this kid is a spectacular athlete. Like, eye-popping athlete.

Disappointed as I have been in our ability to close on guys, if McAllister and Dereon fall in our laps after "failing" at the other kids? I am not sure we would not have benefited by that failure.
Mollen you are correct. You cannot teach athleticism and this kid has it in abundance. He seems he could be a Ed Nixon/ Bri type (defender first) but stronger. Now how cool would that be? He supposedly doesn't have the best shot but that's just gym time.

Happy to have him.

Last edited:

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
He was guarding cole anthony last night. The best pg and 3rd ranked player in the class of '19 last night. Anthony makes everyone look bad.
Discussing a 6-5 to 6-7 pg in college is always going to have people pointing to extremes because quite frankly, there is not a lot of precedence for it. In the past three years, of the 375 top pg in the class(125 each year) only a handful have been taller than 6'4 and only a couple have played significant mins in a P5 line up and they are now in the NBA. The others are low minute players at other schools. Granted, they may be superstars by there junior or senior year but the supporting material is just not there yet. That being the case, It would be hard to convince most Ram fans and almost everyone outside of ramnation that VCU had both found and signed something only a couple of P5 school have been able to do. I think Seabron has great potential and I am fine taking him( I think PJ is a 3 year starter and I think there will be a move the needle PG we can get in the 2020 class if Seabron does not turn out to be the PG of the future so in my mind the potential reward outweighs the risk. However, I certainly understand why even the most rational and reasonable person would have doubts about him as a PG

PS DL, not really a direct response to you. I just took the chance to make the statement

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
I see none of my ignored posters show up on the good news threads.
Good to know that I am not ignored, but then again, if you ignore me, how would you know? These are the kinds of questions that keep me up at night.

Discussing a 6-5 to 6-7 pg in college is always going to have people pointing to extremes because quite frankly, there is not a lot of precedence for it. In the past three years, of the 375 top pg in the class(125 each year) only a handful have been taller than 6'4 and only a couple have played significant mins in a P5 line up and they are now in the NBA. The others are low minute players at other schools. Granted, they may be superstars by there junior or senior year but the supporting material is just not there yet. That being the case, It would be hard to convince most Ram fans and almost everyone outside of ramnation that VCU had both found and signed something only a couple of P5 school have been able to do. I think Seabron has great potential and I am fine taking him( I think PJ is a 3 year starter and I think there will be a move the needle PG we can get in the 2020 class if Seabron does not turn out to be the PG of the future so in my mind the potential reward outweighs the risk. However, I certainly understand why even the most rational and reasonable person would have doubts about him as a PG

PS DL, not really a direct response to you. I just took the chance to make the statement

There is definitely a history of tall PGs. They typically end up in the NBA. Off the top of my head there is Penny Hardaway, Kyle Anderson, Lonzo Ball, Magic Johnson, Shaun Livingston, Greivis Vasquez, Michael Carter-Williams, Oscar Robertson, Ron Harper, Brian Shaw and Ben Simmons