Recruiting 2019 3* PF Wildens Leveque (Closed)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Recruiting Ram, Sep 13, 2018.

1. mike7842

mike7842 Hall of Famer

I once told 2012 that we are not getting to the alter. Now it appears that the front door has closed. Depressing.

2. Rambler

Rambler 6th Man

Imagine how the coaching staff must feel. That's a lot of work to come up empty handed. Hopefully, we're still in the mix with a few good prospects. Otherwise, I say hold the scholarships until spring. No reason to accept a commitment just for the sake of signing a player.

Linda Knight and mrgeode like this.
  3. GuardTheArc

GuardTheArc Starter Top Member

This sort of thing could be the product of having three sophomore bigs on the roster already (if you consider Mobley a big). The path to playing time here is not clear for any recruit right now. It can also be the result of the perception that we basically only play one true big at a time (we tend to go small with a “1 in 4 out” approach). The competing recruiters will likely mention this. Look at all the bigs we’ve brought in over the years who really haven’t played much - Touyo, Guest, Haley, Hamdy, Gilmore, Houston, Simmons, etc. Really, over the last seven years, only Reddic, Tillman, and Alie-Cox got significant minutes.

Then factor in the SEC, that campus, those hotties, playing at places like Rupp, etc.

I would be shocked if ANY recruit chooses our program/campus over a P5 (or even P6) program/campus right now. I don’t think Mike (or the program) has the cache at this time.

I also don’t think Seabron is prepping a year in order to get to VCU. He’s probably thinking P5 as well.

#138 GuardTheArc, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Legend Top Member

You hit the nail on the head. It is playing time. Go back and look at the last rivals article concernin ant walker's recruitment. The other fours including uri said be was guarenteed playING time. We said we could guarantee him getting better if he stuck around 4 years.

wahab picked all p5 schools which needed immediate front court help.
    If we are telling ant walker, the no. 76 ranked player in the class '19 that he is not guaranteed pt, he won't sign, much less wahab, sissoko, levegue, walker, mcleod or bol ajak.

5. Ramdog

Ramdog Legend Top Member

who says no next?

6. duncanlamb

All of them because they all want to play now. Which is good and bad. My feeling is we should hold on to schollies and add them to the 2020 class.

We will have 8 schollies to offers and highly touted recruits will have the incentices choose us.

In the meantime, we can win 25+ games, make back to back ncaa apparables with a veteran roster and easier schedules.

7. 2012Ram

2012Ram Legend Top Member

really? just pack it in this year?

Ramshot, SpiderRAM and TampaKAP like this.
  8. Ramlove81

Ramlove81 Legend Top Member

That's not how I read what he said, but maybe you have read something else. He said VCU would see him playing a lot right away if he came in and worked hard. I seriously doubt any of the other 4 schools said anything different. The kid has been working his butt off to become better for a long time. Our message was keep doing that and the PT will take care of itself. The kid ain't dumb!

9. duncanlamb

I hate to say it, but yeah. I think I remember you saying that a couple times last year....maybe you were right..maybe we should hold on the 2019 schollies in this case, ride our vets, prove we can win again, develop out current bigs...then we will be in a better position with guaranteed playing tone and Winning track record (assuming we get back to back ncaa's) over the next 2 years.

10. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

11. Mcuff

Mcuff Walk-On

One kid didn't commit, not that big of a deal... a lot can happen still this fall and next spring. Nothing wrong with having open scholarships later in the recruitment process. Again, we still have plenty of time to fill our roster out for next year.

12. VCJEW

VCJEW Scholarship Top Member

Generally adding 7-8 new players in 1 year is a terrible idea, you lose all your team consistently. If we get 2-3 players this year who aren't our first choices and they leave we can replace them. If they are hidden gems or projects who develop then we've won out on this class. A freshman isnt gonna stop a recruit from coming in, 2-3 sophomores or juniors in their position will. Still lots of time before panic.

Love2Ram and Milk Lizard like this.
  13. RamTeach2015

RamTeach2015 Scholarship

At this stage, I don't hate the idea. We have the youth/depth to power through this season and next. There are still a couple of guys that I wouldn't mind bringing in, but I definitely don't want to settle on a 2019 recruit just because we have a roster spot to fill.

14. RamTeach2015

RamTeach2015 Scholarship

I am also in agreement that a lot could still happen. I am not in panic mode. And i know that no matter who we end up bringing in, I'm going to get excited about them at one time or another.

mrgeode likes this.
  15. Wolfpack Ram

Wolfpack Ram Legend Top Member

If VCU doesn't sign anyone semi-decent from the 2019 class, that is going to send a HUGE red flag to every recruit out there. And define "great season". VCU is predicted to finished middle of the pack in a weak A10 conference. Add on the OOC schedule and this could get ugly real fast regarding the season and even uglier regarding recruiting. VCU NEEDS someone that can close the deal regarding recruiting and I'm not seeing it right now.

Ramshot, Love2Ram, SpiderRAM and 2 others like this.