Recruiting 2019 3* PF Wildens Leveque (Closed)

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If you don't redshirt at least one kid (and maybe two), you'll likely be ushering one or two non-seniors out the door next May (unless we dance).

Last yr, we only had 12 kids suiting up each game (Evans RS)...............and by season's end, it was a foregone conclusion that Maye/Djonkam/Jackson were probably leaving (for more PT). You can't keep 12 kids happy/engaged, let alone 13 (if they all dress out every game).

Realistically, if Evans is healthy/effective, the sophs/juniors + Gilmore (9 kids) are probably going to get the lion's share of minutes (probably 185 out of the 2oo or 92.5%) - assuming they are moderately effective. If true, Jackson, Byrd, Curry, Williams will be left to scrap for the other 15 minutes. If no redshirt, there will probably be at least two very disappointed/discouraged frosh.

Just not enough minutes/touches/shots to satisfy 13 kids (splitting 200 minutes). If we struggle at all (wins and losses), it'll cause some locker room disharmony/disenchantment. Players outside of the rotation will lose interest (just check body language during timeouts for those kids that know they're not playing). They often mentally check out.

The pre-season (Jun-Oct; exhibitions, B&G, pickup games, intra-squads, individual sessions, weight room, conditioning, etc) is the time to assess who can realistically be a serious contributor this season (i.e. likely part of a nine-man rotation). The staff should pretty much (hopefully) know by now.

Quite frankly, you only need 11 kids each yr (9 in the regular rotation; 2 available in case of injury/foul trouble/ineffectiveness). Players 12 and 13, if you think they have a bright future at this level (with a little more skills/body development), are generally good RS candidates (if they are amenable to such an arrangement).

13 players will not see the floor even if you don't red shirt anyone. Not sure what Xavier Jackson has done to keep a spot on this roster and I really don't see him getting playing time again this year. Evans is a huge question mark as to when he will return and how many minutes he will be able to play. That gets you to 11 players right there. I know nothing about KeShawn Curry and where he fits into the picture. I can assure you, though, Vince Williams is not a candidate to red shirt and PJ Byrd will not scrap for minutes as he is the only true point guard on this team.

Also, it's not like the starting five for this team are set in stone. Maybe Jenkins and Evans when he is healthy. This team is not as deep as many of you want to believe. If this team was a top 4 team in the A10 and had an established top 8-9 players going into the season, then red shirting someone might be an option. That is not the case with this team, though.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
13 players will not see the floor even if you don't red shirt anyone. Not sure what Xavier Jackson has done to keep a spot on this roster and I really don't see him getting playing time again this year. Evans is a huge question mark as to when he will return and how many minutes he will be able to play. That gets you to 11 players right there. I know nothing about KeShawn Curry and where he fits into the picture. I can assure you, though, Vince Williams is not a candidate to red shirt and PJ Byrd will not scrap for minutes as he is the only true point guard on this team.

Also, it's not like the starting five for this team are set in stone. Maybe Jenkins and Evans when he is healthy. This team is not as deep as many of you want to believe. If this team was a top 4 team in the A10 and had an established top 8-9 players going into the season, then red shirting someone might be an option. That is not the case with this team, though.
See your point but respectfully disagree on the depth. Outside of point guard, we have two good players at every position, maybe not great players but good players. That's pretty good depth.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
See your point but respectfully disagree on the depth. Outside of point guard, we have two good players at every position, maybe not great players but good players. That's pretty good depth.

And with that "good depth", VCU is predicted where in the A10? "Potential" is what you say about players that have not delivered. At this point in the program, VCU should be making statements in the OOC, not figuring out how to to finish in the top 4 of the A10.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Elite Member
And with that "good depth", VCU is predicted where in the A10? "Potential" is what you say about players that have not have not delivered. At this point in the program, VCU should be making statements in the OOC, not figuring out how to to finish in the top 4 of the A10.
Predicted by who? Some, I've complained about this practice in the past from so called "experts", look almost exclusively at "who they lost." They have us at 8th or 9th, I get it we lost Tillman and Williams. Others look more deeply into who we have, how they are developing and yes potential. Those tend to have us top 4 or 5. There are "ifs" of course. Every team in college basketball has "ifs" right now! A lot of teams lost a lot more than two seniors from last year. Other teams lost all conference players and point guards too. In college that happens every year. Rhode Island lost more than we did, plus a coach. GMU, who some of those picking us 8th or worse are picking to win the A10 has a lot back from a team arguably worse than we were last year, SLU the same. The doom and gloom around here has become a fast spreading epidemic or fad almost, I'm not jumping on board! It creates an energy of its own that WILL effect the program!

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
Predicted by who? Some, I've complained about this practice in the past from so called "experts", look almost exclusively at "who they lost." They have us at 8th or 9th, I get it we lost Tillman and Williams. Others look more deeply into who we have, how they are developing and yes potential. Those tend to have us top 4 or 5. There are "ifs" of course. Every team in college basketball has "ifs" right now! A lot of teams lost a lot more than two seniors from last year. Other teams lost all conference players and point guards too. In college that happens every year. Rhode Island lost more than we did, plus a coach. GMU, who some of those picking us 8th or worse are picking to win the A10 has a lot back from a team arguably worse than we were last year, SLU the same. The doom and gloom around here has become a fast spreading epidemic or fad almost, I'm not jumping on board! It creates an energy of its own that WILL effect the program!

We are going to win 25+ games this years and make the dance this year. Book it.

tuttlecr

Elite Member
We were 18-15 last year. I see no reason we can't win 3-4 more games this year with a more balanced and mature team. If Marcus is ready for the first tip, we could potentially win 4-5 more games.

People are quick to forget we only had TWO upperclassmen that really contributed for us last year. The other upperclassman (X), was 4th or 5th off the bench. On top of that, we had a whole new coaching staff last year!

I understand the PG position is a concern, but I am confident we will be much better this year.

We were 18-15 last year. I see no reason we can't win 3-4 more games this year with a more balanced and mature team. If Marcus is ready for the first tip, we could potentially win 4-5 more games.

People are quick to forget we only had TWO upperclassmen that really contributed for us last year. The other upperclassman (X), was 4th or 5th off the bench. On top of that, we had a whole new coaching staff last year!

I understand the PG position is a concern, but I am confident we will be much better this year.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Marcus is healthy early enough, we're contending for a coverag conference championship. And our chances at the big dance go way up.

rammad90

Elite Member
I dont see us winning the conference championship. But I do see us competing for it. We do have depth. De Jenkins is a legit first team all conference candidate. IV will surprise many, as will Gilmore and Sean. Given, we have MSS, and Evans also I think we are pretty solid and the depth is there.

What we need is this team to jell.

Ram Jam

Elite Member
I dont see us winning the conference championship. But I do see us competing for it. We do have depth. De Jenkins is a legit first team all conference candidate. IV will surprise many, as will Gilmore and Sean. Given, we have MSS, and Evans also I think we are pretty solid and the depth is there.

What we need is this team to jell.

Always remember that every VCU player/recruit is actually the best basketball player in America/the Universe. These pre season rankings always seem to forget that. Often the post season rankings as well.