Recruiting 2019 4* PF Anthony Walker (Closed)

Mexal

Elite Member
Here's the thing: if the staff is pursuing the kids we want, we will NEVER be the "highest level" program on the list. If we are the highest level program, you'll hear howls of complaint about the staff setting low expectations. Heard that last year in fact.

And lots of kids will take the "highest level" offer they get, and are encouraged to do so by their handlers/coaches and even parents. Fact of life. So when someone like Walker cuts us in favor of ACC and Big 10 programs, they are just following the path of least resistance. The opposite result -- cutting ACC teams and keeping us -- would be "man bites dog" stuff.

Just have to keep plugging away. We've got an ACC level recruit on campus this weekend. Hoping we can close this one

Sure, but for awhile, whether we were top on the list or not, players were choosing us. This has been a rough offseason. Hopefully it'll work out but we're pretty much at the point where we're incredibly excited about the potential of a NR because we can't close any of the ranked players we wanted. Right now, I'll just be happy someone commits to us.

So much for him going on all his visits. I kind of always felt he was set on going to a P5 program. Not much we can do to help that.

I keep going back to walker and what wouldve been his visit this weekend, and I cant help but feel like we got a bit of a raw deal by him cutting us a week before his official visit, especially after saying he was going to take them all. I was really, really, hoping we could land him and actually felt like we had a shot given the amount of time and energy the staff had put into his recruitment and his scheduling us as his last OV and it being during the B&G no less, I just cant help but wonder what happened. I love the McAllister signing, and the possibility of Dereon, but I feel like we HAVE to sign a big, and not a big forward, but an actual center, to this years class. I know there are way more informed posters here, so please tell me what happened, and/or how you see things playing out in regards to us landing/needing a big

Mcuff

Elite Member
I keep going back to walker and what wouldve been his visit this weekend, and I cant help but feel like we got a bit of a raw deal by him cutting us a week before his official visit, especially after saying he was going to take them all. I was really, really, hoping we could land him and actually felt like we had a shot given the amount of time and energy the staff had put into his recruitment and his scheduling us as his last OV and it being during the B&G no less, I just cant help but wonder what happened. I love the McAllister signing, and the possibility of Dereon, but I feel like we HAVE to sign a big, and not a big forward, but an actual center, to this years class. I know there are way more informed posters here, so please tell me what happened, and/or how you see things playing out in regards to us landing/needing a big
Yeah I guess that is just kind of the nature of the beast. Would have been nice of him to give more notice so we could have scheduled another recruit for this weekend.

I agree we do need to add a big, but if we can't land a high level freshman we can always grab a sit one transfer this spring. Even next year with Mobs, MSS, and Douglas we should be OK down low, won't be a strength but it may be enough to get by. We could even grab a grad transfer this spring, but then we would really be hurting when all those seniors leave after 19-20.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider

I predict a 7'3 surprise at the b and g game.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Yes, I'm feeling the same about Walker. I thought we had a good chance if we got him on campus during the B & G. As far as a "true big" he would not have been that. He is a stretch 4 type, 6'9" slender, athletic, good handles and shoots threes. Could he play down low for us? Absolutely, is he what many think of as a "true center?" No. That said, I'd take him in a heart beat.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I was disappointed by the decision but can't blame a kid for deciding where he wants to go to school. He made his choice and is moving on. We need to do the same.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I was disappointed by the decision but can't blame a kid for deciding where he wants to go to school. He made his choice and is moving on. We need to do the same.
Certainly don't begrudge the kid making decisions that make him happy. Just wonder what happened. I don't think it was just he wanted to go to a power 5 (though I respect your opinion there 2012). He was speaking very highly of us, stating he was going to make all his visits and suddenly, only a few days later, he cuts his list to 4 (adding a school that had not been on his list before) and we are not included. Some things don't make sense, but I guess when you are dealing with 17 and 18 year olds sometimes things just won't make sense. Best of luck to a good B-more County kid anyway!