2019 NCAA Dance Thread: BEAT THE KNIGHTS OF UCF IN COLUMBIA, SC

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
If we had done the same against Duke, there is a lot better chance the call is made. I know it, you know it, anyone who doesn't see it is blind.
Anyone who doesn’t agree with your hypothetical sititation that never occurred is blind? Um, ok.

I’m talking real life. UCF should have won the game. They had their chance and it’s on them. They didn’t quite have enough.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I still say when Tacko should've known the situation better.... You have 4 fouls... you are up 3, with less than 30 secs left. If Zion drives on you.... get the heck out of the way & let him score the lay up. You know darn right well if you go up for that block, if it even remotely looks like a foul, they are going to call it in Dukes favor. So just get out of the darn way & let Zion score the easy layup.

Now you're only up 1.... but you're still ahead & Tacko doesn't foul out. Now, inbound the ball to your best FT shooter... Duke has to foul & extend the game. If the FT shooter makes them both, UCF is back up by 3. If he makes 1 of 2... now UCF is up 2 and you force Duke to hit a 3 to win.

But instead Tacko fouls out, Zion misses the FT (intentional, maybe Idk) & because Tacko is out Duke gets the rebound easily and puts it back up. UCF had a shot to win it & the ball rimmed out.

I think if Tacko doesn't foul out in that situation, the game woulda ended differently. Maybe it goes to OT & Duke wins, maybe UCF hangs on for the upset, who knows.

But I think Tacko fouling out cost them the game.

The 2 things you don't wanna do when you are up by 3 is...
1. Allow a 3 point shot
2. commit a foul, especially when someone is in the act of shooting.

Reactions: MarsAlienRam

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
I still say when Tacko should've known the situation better.... You have 4 fouls... you are up 3, with less than 30 secs left. If Zion drives on you.... get the heck out of the way & let him score the lay up. You know darn right well if you go up for that block, if it even remotely looks like a foul, they are going to call it in Dukes favor. So just get out of the darn way & let Zion score the easy layup.

Now you're only up 1.... but you're still ahead & Tacko doesn't foul out. Now, inbound the ball to your best FT shooter... Duke has to foul & extend the game. If the FT shooter makes them both, UCF is back up by 3. If he makes 1 of 2... now UCF is up 2 and you force Duke to hit a 3 to win.

But instead Tacko fouls out, Zion misses the FT (intentional, maybe Idk) & because Tacko is out Duke gets the rebound easily and puts it back up. UCF had a shot to win it & the ball rimmed out.

I think if Tacko doesn't foul out in that situation, the game woulda ended differently. Maybe it goes to OT & Duke wins, maybe UCF hangs on for the upset, who knows.

1. Allow a 3 point shot
No way either one of the two following things would EVER happen in that scenario in the NCAA tournament:
1. Intentionally giving up a layup and letting the other team get within a bucket of taking the lead to avoid a 5th foul.
2. Zion intentionally missing the tying free throw in hopes of getting the offensive rebound and a put back.

Tacko played it exactly how he should've in that situation; he took one for the team to challenge the shot in attempts to win. Playing not to lose is a terrible mentality and more times than not, a losing strategy.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
No way either one of the two following things would EVER happen in that scenario in the NCAA tournament:
1. Intentionally giving up a layup and letting the other team get within a bucket of taking the lead to avoid a 5th foul.
2. Zion intentionally missing the tying free throw in hopes of getting the offensive rebound and a put back.

Tacko played it exactly how he should've in that situation; he took one for the team to challenge the shot in attempts to win. Playing not to lose is a terrible mentality and more times than not, a losing strategy.
You have your opinion... I have mine.

And you say he wouldn't purposely miss a FT to get an offensive rebound and put back? Clearly you didn't see the ND State game then did you.... cause it clearly looked like he missed that FT intentionally. Incase you need to see it again... watch the clip below.... start it at 1:21

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
You have your opinion... I have mine.

And you say he wouldn't purposely miss a FT to get an offensive rebound and put back? Clearly you didn't see the ND State game then did you.... cause it clearly looked like he missed that FT intentionally. Incase you need to see it again... watch the clip below.... start it at 1:21

I was referring to the exact scenario in the UCF game you originally stated. Not a chance Zion, or any player in college or professional sports, would intentionally miss a tying free throw with the season on the line.

Reactions: VCU RAM

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013

1. Allow a 3 point shot
Zion Williamson sought out Tacko Fall like a heat seeking missile on that play. He couldn't have gotten out of the way if he tried. So, he planted his feet, he didn't jump to try to block the shot, he held his ground and Williamson ran flat out into him while he was stationary. Yep, Williamson knew exactly what you said, if there was contact, even if that contact was Williamson running into a player legally holding their position the call would go his way. That's my point. Everyone knew the call would go his way, even if it was the wrong call. Why, it's DUKE.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016

1. Allow a 3 point shot
I think what cost them the game was the missed jam by UCF that would have put them up by 6 (I think?) with less than 2 minutes.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Because I got ripped off on my NCAA ticket last week, I had a long conversation with the Ticketmaster Manager at CLA
this morning. Too much info to post here but if you have a question about any of the process, PM me. I think we touched on everything including school allocation.