2019 Season

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
And the winning streak comes to an end. Rams had a 5-4 lead going in to the 9th but walks and errors led to two ODU runs.
Bummer....but why Ryan in the 9th instead of McCarty....Ryan's been great this year, but is McCarty dinged up??

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Bummer....but why Ryan in the 9th instead of McCarty....Ryan's been great this year, but is McCarty dinged up??
I have not seen anything stating this, but I am assuming so. I looked back over the box scores of games going back to UMass and he has not pitched. Alkire has been the set up man and Ryan has been closing. Ryan came out in the eighth and struck out the side before the ninth inning struggles.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Rams took 2 of 3 from Fordham....lost a stinker on Saturday 11-1....Coach used some of our less frontline pitchers (Bafus/Dunn) and Fordham jumped all over them.

Still...27-9 in mid April ain't too shabby

odu at The Diamond tomorrow....feels like a "must Win at Home" kind of game.

Only game this week until F/S/Su series at Richmond...sooooo maybe Justin Sorokowski Tuesday?? He last went Friday. I don't think a B Team bullpen special is a safe bet for Tuesday

also... @rollins77 ?? Does VCU Baseball ever give out injury news?? Mac McCarty hasn't been on the bump in awhile. Injury or Other??

Reactions: DNB

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Rams took 2 of 3 from Fordham....lost a stinker on Saturday 11-1....Coach used some of our less frontline pitchers (Bafus/Dunn) and Fordham jumped all over them.

Still...27-9 in mid April ain't too shabby

odu at The Diamond tomorrow....feels like a "must Win at Home" kind of game.

Only game this week until F/S/Su series at Richmond...sooooo maybe Justin Sorokowski Tuesday?? He last went Friday. I don't think a B Team bullpen special is a safe bet for Tuesday

also... @rollins77 ?? Does VCU Baseball ever give out injury news?? Mac McCarty hasn't been on the bump in awhile. Injury or Other??
Yes ODU feels like a must win game. Dropping one to Fordham at home is far from disastrous since they were picked to finish anywhere from 4-6 in the league this year. Bafus-has raw potential, a pretty big young man with some zip on the ball. However, the few times I have seen him throw it looks like he has no movement on his fastball, just comes in nice and flat. If his location is slightly off teams can tee off on him.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Uggh! Blew a 5-3 lead going in to the 8th. Down 7-5 now in the 9th. Hate to sound negative, but hope this is just a blip on the screen and not like the last two seasons where we put together a strong stretch a third of the way through the season and then faltered down the stretch!

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
Uggh! Blew a 5-3 lead going in to the 8th. Down 7-5 now in the 9th. Hate to sound negative, but hope this is just a blip on the screen and not like the last two seasons where we put together a strong stretch a third of the way through the season and then faltered down the stretch!
That hurt. Up 2 with 2 outs and a walk then leads to 4 runs. I would have had more beer to alleviate the pain but they only had one concession open with a long line all night.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2013
Dang it...of all the non-conference teams to lose to, twice. I understand using our best pitching rotations for the weekend conf. series, and the need to develop younger players during the week, but odu! crap....lol. Still doing well on the weekends and leading the conference at 10 - 2, 2 games ahead of dayton and uri. The Rams need to get some more out of conference quality wins, too, though. Planning on seeing our Rams beat the hoos at the end of April.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Wow, what was looking like a special season, has certainly taken a turn the last couple weeks. Two losses to ODU, two to UR, and now the third loss of the season to Maryland. Our flirtation with the top 25 is but a distant memory now. Plenty of time to turn things around, but they need to start soon. That 28 run explosion against LaSalle may have messed with their heads?

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Wow, what was looking like a special season, has certainly taken a turn the last couple weeks. Two losses to ODU, two to UR, and now the third loss of the season to Maryland. Our flirtation with the top 25 is but a distant memory now. Plenty of time to turn things around, but they need to start soon. That 28 run explosion against LaSalle may have messed with their heads?
We are struggling right now. We were hot at the time of thr LaSalle series, but no it did not mess with our heads. Look at some of their other games-LaSalle is just that bad. The good news is we are still in first by a game over Dayton with a week GW team up next.