2020-21 Season Outlook

Jan 15, 2020
I think Rhoades wins A10 COTY. True St Bona exceeded expectations but they were predicted to be a top team this year. VCU was projected as a total after thought yet were arguably one game short of being champs/co champs. Quite simply that’s a ridiculous contrast.
As far as the player awards I definitely think there’s some surprising exclusions to the list.

Reactions: Beirne

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Rhoades should win COTY.

Bones should win POY. I could see Jordan Goodwin getting it too, but I think it’s more likely that Bones gets it, which would be pretty impressive as a sophomore.

Ace should be a shoo-in for All-Rookie team as the starting PG basically all year for a top tier A-10 team. His stats may not be too flashy, but he has been one of the most impactful freshman in the last several years for VCU. I don’t see him getting ROY since these awards are usually stats-based and favor volume scoring.

While I’d like to see Vince make an all-conference team, there are a lot of good players in the league and wouldn’t be surprised to see him left off.

I could see a few candidates for the All-Defense team with Hason Ward and Bones being most likely candidates. Ace should get consideration as well, but betting in the end we’ll likely get just one of them.

In any event, pretty impressive to have guys in these positions with how young and inexperienced we are relative to a lot of the rest of the league.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Rhoades should win COTY.

Bones should win POY. I could see Jordan Goodwin getting it too, but I think it’s more likely that Bones gets it, which would be pretty impressive as a sophomore.

Ace should be a shoo-in for All-Rookie team as the starting PG basically all year for a top tier A-10 team. His stats may not be too flashy, but he has been one of the most impactful freshman in the last several years for VCU. I don’t see him getting ROY since these awards are usually stats-based and favor volume scoring.

While I’d like to see Vince make an all-conference team, there are a lot of good players in the league and wouldn’t be surprised to see him left off.

I could see a few candidates for the All-Defense team with Hason Ward and Bones being most likely candidates. Ace should get consideration as well, but betting in the end we’ll likely get just one of them.

In any event, pretty impressive to have guys in these positions with how young and inexperienced we are relative to a lot of the rest of the league.
I think Kyle Lofton has made a mad dash to POY consideration. It will depend on what the coaches think. I am not understanding the 3-Bid twitter poll when it comes to most improved. To me that would be someone like Vince Williams. Everyone know Bones was going to be good. He did not improve. He got more time. Ace Baldwin does not score much so they overlooked him for Amzil. Mustafa disappeared at times. Ace never disappeared because he ran the show as a freshman.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Bones would be the first VCU player to win the award if he pulled it off. Very impressive, given the amount of talent we have had in the 9 years we've been in the A-10.
Yeah, I think Treveon would have won it in 2015–but for the ankle injury. He got the trophies that count in the tourny—MVP with a chip to match?

Ram20ROB

Top Member
Nov 12, 2014
I am not a Chris Mooney fan, but found this quote from an interview with him on ESPNRichmond.com very enlightening.

Noah: What would it have been like navigating this season with a young, maybe largely freshmen group rather than this senior-laden team?

Chris: Impossible. There are so many things that young players [have to learn]. Conditioning, number one. Then the learning of defensive principles; the learning of how we play, what’s expected in the weight room, in school. Those are incredibly taxing things. If you interrupt that process, it would be almost impossible.

I think that puts into perspective the job Coach Rhoades and his staff have done this year. What one guy considers impossible, another uses to defy predictions and take his team to within one game of the conference title. Kudos to the team for stepping up under extremely difficult conditions, but I hope the job coach and his staff did all season long behind the scenes is recognized by the conference.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
A-10 ranks:

Bones Hyland:
1st in PPG (19.2)
1st in FT % (88.4%)
1st in 3’s per game (3.0)
1st in total made 3’s: (64)
3rd in total FTs made: (76)
4th in SPG: (1.95)
5th in total steals: (41)
T-6th in total 2’s per game (68)
7th in total FTs attempted: (86)
T-15th in 3PT%: (38.1%)

Obvious caveat that teams didn’t all play the same number of games and VCU was more fortunate than most when it came to getting a good number of games in and minimal disruption due to COVID-19. Still, this is quite impressive for a sophomore to be doing in the Atlantic 10

Bones is a gamer, but we all knew that. He’s got first team honors locked up and is one of the rightful front runners for Player of the Year whether he wins it or not.

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
I am not a Chris Mooney fan, but found this quote from an interview with him on ESPNRichmond.com very enlightening.

Noah: What would it have been like navigating this season with a young, maybe largely freshmen group rather than this senior-laden team?

Chris: Impossible. There are so many things that young players [have to learn]. Conditioning, number one. Then the learning of defensive principles; the learning of how we play, what’s expected in the weight room, in school. Those are incredibly taxing things. If you interrupt that process, it would be almost impossible.

I think that puts into perspective the job Coach Rhoades and his staff have done this year. What one guy considers impossible, another uses to defy predictions and take his team to within one game of the conference title. Kudos to the team for stepping up under extremely difficult conditions, but I hope the job coach and his staff did all season long behind the scenes is recognized by the conference.

You're right. Kudos Mike!

----

In that interview I saw that rodeo clown Mooney said that if Grace's shot went in, they win vs St. Joe's.

FFS, that is absurd. UR was down by 3 so Grace's hypothetical three would have only tied the game and forced overtime. He is a true spinmeister trying to make it seem that his manhood-robbing loss to SJU on senior night was almost a victory.

Perhaps these sticky deceptions should be expected from a spider. I hope they give him an extension.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
You're right. Kudos Mike!

----

In that interview I saw that rodeo clown Mooney said that if Grace's shot went in, they win vs St. Joe's.

FFS, that is absurd. UR was down by 3 so Grace's hypothetical three would have only tied the game and forced overtime. He is a true spinmeister trying to make it seem that his manhood-robbing loss to SJU on senior night was almost a victory.

Perhaps these sticky deceptions should be expected from a spider. I hope they give him an extension.
they were fading fast in that game, I think they would have gotten pummeled in OT. and yes, I hope to see him on the sidelines there for a very very long time!

Reactions: RESRam