2020-21 Season Outlook

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
The staff, since Apr 2017, could've gone in many directions regarding the roster. The 5-man senior class was a roster construction/management decision made by the staff over a period of time. It was avoidable. They chose to align the classes as they did.......and with 5 "perimeter" seniors to boot. They chose to recruit a JUCO soph (Simms) and keep Crow for 4 years and allow Vann to remain (who had graduated). They understood what 2020-21 would bring with those roster decisions. They rolled the dice that we'd dance again in 2020 (thus two yrs in a row) and that it would buy them some "rebuilding" time in 2021 and 2022. It didn't work out that way. They thought 2019 (NCAAs) was "repeatable." Many folks did.
2017:
I like/prefer Simms (seems like a potential Treveon Graham type) for Scholly 13 if we can get him.
I want more kids that can shoot..............like BA Walker, Troy Daniels, Jamal Shuler, Brad Burgess, Tre Graham, etc. The three-ball has always been a big weapon/differentiator for us.... I think Crowfield is next in line.
Just admit you were wrong like many other so-called "experts" were.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I am adjunct. We discuss maximum size before the term begins. There is no additional comp for oversized classes.

(EDIT: I should make clear, this is in grad school, and not VCU)
Not VCU.
Again, my colleagues who work at Universities some similar, some more prestigious, including my partner, who what's at GW, are afforded the opportunity to set limits and after a certian point do receive more compensation. As stated, tenure track dont receive additional compensation but get to add more T/A's as well as set hard limits. Part time Associate Profs. and Adjuncts have both options. Again, this is GW.

Fwiw, looking at the comments it appears that Universities have different policies and procedures when it comes to class size. Also, adding students does have a cost.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Not VCU.
Again, my colleagues who work at Universities some similar, some more prestigious, including my partner, who what's at GW, are afforded the opportunity to set limits and after a certian point do receive more compensation. As stated, tenure track dont receive additional compensation but get to add more T/A's as well as set hard limits. Part time Associate Profs. and Adjuncts have both options. Again, this is GW.

Fwiw, looking at the comments it appears that Universities have different policies and procedures when it comes to class size. Also, adding students does have a cost.
Thought you were 'done'. Oh well. FWIW, I come from a family of educators, so guess I've 'done my research'. As I stated before, class size does not determine compensation, especially for tenured professors. Adjuncts are typically paid by credit hour. If GW pays adjuncts on a per-student basis, I'd be surprised, but would note that that is an irregularity because it doesn't make sense and would harm professors more than help (i.e. at danger of having pay reduced because a class isn't at capacity).

Universities bear a nominal cost (for educational purposes) for adding a nominal amount of students. The real increase is when the additional students necessitate hiring additional professors. One or two additional student athletes doesn't move the needle.

Reactions: share the ball

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Thought you were 'done'. Oh well. FWIW, I come from a family of educators, so guess I've 'done my research'. As I stated before, class size does not determine compensation, especially for tenured professors. Adjuncts are typically paid by credit hour. If GW pays adjuncts on a per-student basis, I'd be surprised, but would note that that is an irregularity because it doesn't make sense and would harm professors more than help (i.e. at danger of having pay reduced because a class isn't at capacity).

Universities bear a nominal cost (for educational purposes) for adding a nominal amount of students. The real increase is when the additional students necessitate hiring additional professors. One or two additional student athletes doesn't move the needle.
Violet not trying to argue but your families experience doesnt trump all others. I also stated that my colleagues who teach some who are tenured, some on tenured track, some part time, and those who are adjunct. Many have stated that after a certain limit, (Not a "per student basis" two different propositions), they either have the option to limit class size, requests additional staff T/A, and in the case of the PT & Adjunct folks they get more money per head after a certain cutoff.

That shouldn't be a tough concept to grab. I didnt state every University does this or that Prof.s of any status are paid as you state on a "per-student" basis.

Also, if you understand economics there are cost to adding additional students to classes. Similarly if a class doesnt hit a certain number most U's and Departments cancel the classes. Again, not a tough concept.

So while adding a kid or two if under limit isnt a big deal. If that class is at capacity there are cost and consequences. No disrespect to your relatives. But that's how it works in many places. Again, not rocket science and not unreasonable.

Finally, I am not discounting the description of how others have explained the practices of the universities with which they are familiar. However, its not as simple as "come on in and sit in.". Its not a either or proposition.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
While I would be over the moon if the games happen in an empty arena, I’m not holding my breath on that happening.

should anyone end up doing fall sports in some fashion I believe that will let us know whether or not basketball (or any other winter sport) happens. For that matter what goes on in the pro attempted restarts will go a ways in determining the outcomes.

/ debbiedowner.jpg ☹

Last edited:
Reactions: mrgeode and Newboy
May 5, 2009
I got an email from the AD yesterday. Spoke of reseating and season tickets. If reading correctly hard copies of tickets will not be issued. Is that correct?

Reactions: PuddinDaStunna